Hot Take: The Avs are not that good

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
This is my attempt of an anti-jinx thread and hopefully they go on a 10-0 run, but in all seriousness.

1 crap game against the Blues
1 dominate game against the Blues
2 crap games against a bad Kings team that they should have dominated and ended up 1-1 against them sneaking one out and losing another late.

All while Vegas is doing their jobs mopping up the Ducks and Yotes to start 4-0.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yeah even in a shortened season, 4 games is too small of a sample size. Give teams 10-12 games and then we can start to figure out where everyone is.

Considering there was no real camp or preseason and all of the other uncertainty surrounding this season, it's reasonable to expect a certain level of rustiness for any team - regardless of expectations.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
3rd stringer in the net, defensive pairings in flux with players going in and out of the lineup (they are dressing 11+7) and like it was said no real camp or preseason. Teams will be sloppy as hell, especially those that depend on great execution and being on the same page like the Avs. their whole game plan is to defend and attack as a unit of 5, expecting them to click at a high rate without any chance to put in a lot of work and while dressing different people every night is just unrealistic.

PS

Kings are a well-coached team, especially defensively and they took advantage of some shaky goaltending and defensive breakdowns.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
I didn't even remember how terrible these early season hot takes and over reactions are. People today are so inpatient that it blows my mind. Just like James Neal was gonna win the rocket last season and the Sabres were gonna win the Cup the year before that. Settle down a bit maybe? It's been like four games.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Teams that peak early tend to lose early in the playoffs. You want to build towards the cup, not come out gangbusters and be unable to return to that level of play. They still need a goalie upgrade though.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Overrated is probably a better take on the Avs. Goaltending and 3C will be their downfall again unless Sakic finds a way to plug those holes. Mackinnon however can singlehandedly hide glaring issues.

I also feel the Avs are too soft for a cup run. They need some toughness in that lineup.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Their defense and goaltending do need work that's for sure.

But I keep saying, would be wise for the Avs to trade for Gibson on a rebuilding Anaheim team.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
3rd stringer in the net, defensive pairings in flux with players going in and out of the lineup (they are dressing 11+7) and like it was said no real camp or preseason. Teams will be sloppy as hell, especially those that depend on great execution and being on the same page like the Avs. their whole game plan is to defend and attack as a unit of 5, expecting them to click at a high rate without any chance to put in a lot of work and while dressing different people every night is just unrealistic.

PS

Kings are a well-coached team, especially defensively and they took advantage of some shaky goaltending and defensive breakdowns.
Miska wasn't the problem last night. The two powerplay goals were absolute snipes. 3rd goal was a defensive breakdown, yeah, by Makar.

Avs are running into the same problem as last season with lack of scoring help from the bottom-9.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Miska wasn't the problem last night. The two powerplay goals were absolute snipes. 3rd goal was a defensive breakdown, yeah, by Makar.

Avs are running into the same problem as last season with lack of scoring help from the bottom-9.

An average backup saves those. Miska is small and then practically played both of those shots from the goal line. You have to challenge shots and play the angles better, you can't sit in your net when you are 6'1.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Overrated is probably a better take on the Avs. Goaltending and 3C will be their downfall again unless Sakic finds a way to plug those holes. Mackinnon however can singlehandedly hide glaring issues.

I also feel the Avs are too soft for a cup run. They need some toughness in that lineup.

A team with Lando, MacK, Kadri, Nuke, Graves and previous Zadorov and Cole... soft? They lost two tough defenders... but I wouldn't call them soft.

Reactions: PaulD

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It's a really weird season.

Weird format. Weird and condensed schedule. Weird shortness of games. Weird shortness of training camp. No preseason. It really feels like anyone can win the Cup this year, it's wide open in a sense that was never thought possible. Even a team like Detroit or LA could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->