Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Cards acquire Goldschmidt. Big move for them; only traded Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly and a low level minor leaguer. Weaver was more expendable with the emergence of Flaherty, they still have a great C prospect in Knizner and they badly needed a big bat.

Reactions: LSCII

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Jeez, why would Arizona do that? Goldschmidt is the most underrated Superstar in the league
Re-signability.

Goldschmidt is in the last year od his deal in 2019, and is making a cheap 14 million for his production. He'll be 32 when he signs a new deal that he'll likely be asking for 6/120 at a bare minimum.

ARZ gets two cost controlled guys for 5 and 6 years respectively, plus a draft pick. Good deal.

Reactions: DKH

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Re-signability.

Goldschmidt is in the last year od his deal in 2019, and is making a cheap 14 million for his production. He'll be 32 when he signs a new deal that he'll likely be asking for 6/120 at a bare minimum.

ARZ gets two cost controlled guys for 5 and 6 years respectively, plus a draft pick. Good deal.

Ya, you nailed it. Goldy is aging and his speed on the base path will eventually go. He’ll still be great defensively and with the bat, though, but ARZ probably was gonna lose him.

I’m surprised they wouldn’t have waited until the Winter Meetings to trade him, but maybe they felt like they couldn’t get a better offer. I’m surprised they wouldn’t get a young OF back, though. Cardinals have a decent amount.

Reactions: JRull86

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If I’m Yankees I try and get Haap on a short term deal

As much as I dislike Machado I make a legit serious pitch

So he’s an asshole in NY? Who cares

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
“An executive from a club believed to be in on Nathan Eovaldi said he has heard Boston is closing in on a deal, adding that in his eyes, “the market is really just the Red Sox at this point.”

Via Mark Feisand on Twitter

50% of the time, I only believe 30% of what I read, but I’m really happy to read that.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Numerous reports that the Sox and Eovaldi have a deal.

I don't care what the numbers are, I will NEVER criticize this signing. Not after what we saw from him this year.
With how the market likes to overpay starting pitchers, if the reported 4 years at 17 million a season is accurate, I'm absolutely on board.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Heyman and Robert Murray reporting talks between Sox and Evovaldi getting serious. Looking like 4 years at $17 million per.

glad Pearce and Eovaldi are going to be back. Would be cool Kelly returns too but I doubt it

Porcello is a goner either not brought back after next season or will be traded I predict. Use the money to sign Betts and one of Benni or Boegarts

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
glad Pearce and Eovaldi are going to be back. Would be cool Kelly returns too but I doubt it

Porcello is a goner either not brought back after next season or will be traded I predict. Use the money to sign Betts and one of Benni or Boegarts
Yeah Porcello definitely odd man out after this year. I doubt they trade him though since they'll have no reason to. They'll still get a comp pick for him as a FA if he leaves.

They really just need to find a few BP arms, especially a closer, and figure out the catching situation as well. They aren't going to carry 3 catchers on the roster all year, and Swihart certainly won't be a minors/200AB guy again.

Sneaky position of concern is 2B. Pedroia is a total wildcard and nonfactor at this point, can't count on him whatsoever. If he comes back? Great. But I wouldn't bet on it. They also cannot have Nunez playing 2B again. He's a disaster in the field there. Do they bring back Kinsler( :help: )?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
$67.5m / 4

$16.875m average

That's more than fair for both sides. Red Sox keep the money relatively low all things considered, and Eovaldi gets a nice pay day with the potential to hit the market again after his age 32 season and get a nice contract. Glad it got done early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->