Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Who spends that much? People who can afford it. The stadium is packed every night.

I’ve been to dozens of games the past 5 years. Get the tickets on stubhub the day of the game, about 50$ a piece, sometimes SIGNIFICANTLY less. 20$ for the train in. Drink a bit beforehand. Never bought a water inside the park. Rarely buy food.

I hate when people look at franchise owners and expect them to make everything super affordable for everyone just because they’re already rich. Most owners treat their team as a BUSINESS. The minors is where you see all the 2$ deals, but one get one ticket, etc because it’s more of a hobby for them and it’s nearly impossible to make money off a minor league franchise.

If someone sells me a hot dog for 10$ or a beer for 15$ I have no one else besides myself to blame. No one is forced to eat inside the stadium. Grab a 4$ sausage before going in. Go to the McDonald’s across the bridge. Qdoba, a snack from 7/11. It’s as simple as: when people stop buying, prices stop rising. I’ve gone 3-4 hours without eating and rest assured, next Sox, Bruins or Pats game I go to, I’ll go another 3-4 without eating.

As for the park itself. It ain’t going anywhere. More concerts will roll in. More extreme sports. Apparently already in talks for another big air in the next few winters.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Who spends that much? People who can afford it. The stadium is packed every night.

I’ve been to dozens of games the past 5 years. Get the tickets on stubhub the day of the game, about 50$ a piece, sometimes SIGNIFICANTLY less. 20$ for the train in. Drink a bit beforehand. Never bought a water inside the park. Rarely buy food.

I hate when people look at franchise owners and expect them to make everything super affordable for everyone just because they’re already rich. Most owners treat their team as a BUSINESS. The minors is where you see all the 2$ deals, but one get one ticket, etc because it’s more of a hobby for them and it’s nearly impossible to make money off a minor league franchise.

If someone sells me a hot dog for 10$ or a beer for 15$ I have no one else besides myself to blame. No one is forced to eat inside the stadium. Grab a 4$ sausage before going in. Go to the McDonald’s across the bridge. Qdoba, a snack from 7/11. It’s as simple as: when people stop buying, prices stop rising. I’ve gone 3-4 hours without eating and rest assured, next Sox, Bruins or Pats game I go to, I’ll go another 3-4 without eating.

As for the park itself. It ain’t going anywhere. More concerts will roll in. More extreme sports. Apparently already in talks for another big air in the next few winters.

Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Complaining that Bogaerts doesn’t always keep two hands on the bat and using it as a reason he should be traded is one of the strangest things I’ve read on this board.

Happy to contribute this strange theory.

My overall point is I think he has a flaw in how he bats and it affects his offensive game. Only because I, an invisible fan online, criticized his technicalities is it weird. If I had kept it simple and said “I think his offensive game is weak”, that would have been far less specific, yet oddly more acceptable of a criticism.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You are talking about the Sox owners ? You must enjoy spending $50 for a beer and dog LOL maybe $8.00 for a bottle of water?

Nothing like a "regular" Bostonian spending $500 for a night out at the old ball park for two people.

I usually sit in seats that would cost $500 for $50 for the pair or whatever the cheapest crap on stubhub is. Fenway ushers are great especially on the roof when they just want you to order food.

$50 is about what I spend on beer per game in the stadium and usually around that at a bar across the street after/before.

Going out drinking is expensive 'regular' non wealthy Bostonians don't drink or only drink at home? Sometimes I sneak in a 5th split in 2 water bottles and hit up the free soda refills on the roof but I prefer to just order 3-4 beers during the game.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Happy to contribute this strange theory.

My overall point is I think he has a flaw in how he bats and it affects his offensive game. Only because I, an invisible fan online, criticized his technicalities is it weird. If I had kept it simple and said “I think his offensive game is weak”, that would have been far less specific, yet oddly more acceptable of a criticism.

I watched a ton of Red Sox games this year. I was a loser this summer, I’m not kidding I probably watched 130 of their games or more and I don’t ever recall this being an issue, much less one that affected his “offensive game”. The fact that you mentioned this in regards to Bogaerts and not Bradley, who did this MULTIPLE times this year and in the past, is even crazier to me.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I watched a ton of Red Sox games this year. I was a loser this summer, I’m not kidding I probably watched 130 of their games or more and I don’t ever recall this being an issue, much less one that affected his “offensive game”. The fact that you mentioned this in regards to Bogaerts and not Bradley, who did this MULTIPLE times this year and in the past, is even crazier to me.

There’s admittedly a case of confirmation bias in me when it comes to Xander.

I’ve alwyas thought he’s had this habit and I make a point to notice it every time I put the Sox on.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There’s admittedly a case of confirmation bias in me when it comes to Xander.

I’ve alwyas thought he’s had this habit and I make a point to notice it every time I put the Sox on.

last 4 full seasons:

.320, .294, .273, .288

OPS+ of 107, 111, 95, 135

oWAR of 4.6, 4.9, 3.4, 5.6 (just for fun, Harper's in the same time are 9.1, 1.9, 4.3, 4.2)

we all have those players where only the negative is noticed, like you said seems like Xander is yours.

Highatop308

Only took 4 months!
Jun 23, 2010
308, row 15. seat 28

All of this. I never buy tickets ahead of time due to cost, potential bad weather, pitching matchup etc. Over the last half dozen years, Ive gone to 12-15 Sox games a year, pay usually under $50 on stubhub, usually in the $20-40 range for a bleacher/grandstand on day of the game on stubhub. Park for free (well a meter) on Baystate Road right off the Kenmore exit on storrow, its all BU brownstones, its the sharp right instead of heading into Kenmore Square..go grab a bite a few beers at the Cask and call it a day. Don't pay what the Sox want for tickets, $50 to park on Comm Ave or take the T when its overly crowded and extremely hot. You can even find deals with the Sox when other Boston teams are playing on the same night. I sat in pavilion the night of a Celtics/Cavs playoff game for $15!! and got into Houston game 2 for under face due to Pats/KC. I next to never spend a dime in there. Same with the Bruins. I'm a Bruins STH, JJ gets my 10 month payments and thats it. Games are affordable if you make it affordable. Like you, I can easily go 3-4 hours with eating and drinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Quixote

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Jeter Downs is a very solid prospect. I don’t understand why the Reds would deal him for a group of older players when their farm system is probably their greatest strength right now.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Not voting for Rivera is like not voting for Ortiz because he doesn't play 9 innings in the field. It's stupid.

Rivera was easily the best reliver I've ever seen. Guy was lights out in 99.9% of his outings.

Clearly a HoFer. Clearly a first ballot. And he should be unanimous. No more of this stupid "babe Ruth wasn't unanimous, so no one is!!!" garbage.

Reactions: McGarnagle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad