Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Please no on Bogaerts. Makes no sense.

They cannot afford to pay all the FA's they have coming up, especially the young guys.

If they can flip Bogaerts for some young cost controlled guys, especially starting pitching, I'd think long and hard about it.

Out of Betts, Benintendi, and Bogaerts, my guess is Bogey is the odd man out.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'd have taken a chance on Kelly with that contract, they're what, 14 M from the next luxury tax threshold? And they need bullpen help. This would have been a good way to do it at a reasonable cost. They should be going for it again in 2019 before doing a "soft" reset where some guys will need to be moved to restock the farm and clear space.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No way get good cost control middle of the lineup production from your SS as long as you can. If he gets a Cano like offer in UFA thats fine you got plenty of mileage out of the guy. He needs to be back its been a while since any team has repeated. If he has a monster year next year before becoming a free agent thats a good thing.

If he leaves you just slot a guy like Nunez in at short and take the hit.

The comp picks we get from him or Porcello leaving in the long run will be better than anything we could trade either for.

Repeat and then worry about contracts next winter. With JDM's option there are going to be a lot of moving pieces. But the only firm contracts at the moment are Price, Eovaldi, and Pedroia. Even with arb awards you can do a lot of things and stay below the luxury tax.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
No way get good cost control middle of the lineup production from your SS as long as you can. If he gets a Cano like offer in UFA thats fine you got plenty of mileage out of the guy. He needs to be back its been a while since any team has repeated. If he has a monster year next year before becoming a free agent thats a good thing.

If he leaves you just slot a guy like Nunez in at short and take the hit.

The comp picks we get from him or Porcello leaving in the long run will be better than anything we could trade either for.

Repeat and then worry about contracts next winter. With JDM's option there are going to be a lot of moving pieces. But the only firm contracts at the moment are Price, Eovaldi, and Pedroia. Even with arb awards you can do a lot of things and stay below the luxury tax.

Eh those selections would be in the 4th round because they've exceeded the luxury tax.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ok, I understand sign with the highest bidder

but still, sign with the team you just help beat in the WS? how do you do that

Do you really think players these days still think like that? For all we know LAD offered him a much better deal than anyone else....and if that is the case I can’t fault a guy for going to the highest bidder since they only have so many years to make money.

Reactions: Aeroforce

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I think there are a lot of under the radar bullpen guys available. Blake Parker. Kelvin Herrera. Quality guys to be had at good prices.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Do you really think players these days still think like that? For all we know LAD offered him a much better deal than anyone else....and if that is the case I can’t fault a guy for going to the highest bidder since they only have so many years to make money.

I agree. Another example is Nick Bonino signing with Nashville right after beating them in the Final with the Pens.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I'd have taken a chance on Kelly with that contract, they're what, 14 M from the next luxury tax threshold? And they need bullpen help. This would have been a good way to do it at a reasonable cost. They should be going for it again in 2019 before doing a "soft" reset where some guys will need to be moved to restock the farm and clear space.
People forget that Kelly sucked a good chunk of his time here. There was debate whether he would even be on the post-season roster. I predict LA will regret that contract.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
So, are the Sox going to actually do something so we don't have to just sit around and debate their FA's that left? :DD
Probably won't see any movement until later in offseason.

The reliever market is really satured right now, Kimbrel is holding a lot of things up.

I'd like them to grab one of the people we've talked about countless times (Miller, Ottavino, Robertson) but other than that, they don't need to do much, if anything.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Bogaerts needs to go.

Until he learns how to put a proper swing on a baseball (ie keeping two hands on the bat through contact), I have no interest in retaining his services. There aren’t many players who look more outmatched when up against good pitching.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
David Ortiz and Ken Griffey Jr certainly would dispute that

You let your top hand off AFTER making contact. On the follow through. That’s what both Griffey and Ortiz did.

Why do you think Boegaerts hits so many opposite field soft flares? He’s not bringing both his hands all the way through the ball so he’s behind on pitches.

I know I’m really arrogant about this, but every time I watch him up at bat, it reminds me of how I would try to hit before I received any coaching whatsoever. The way he swings is more like a attempted “mimicking” from watching power hitters hit, rather than an actual practice on how to produce consistent contact and power.

Not sure who bothers me more. Boegaerts’ constant letdowns at the plate or Sandy Leon swinging at pitches that hit the ground three feet in front of the plate.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Ian Kinsler to the Padres. Being in the NL West he'll have plenty of opportunities to throw the ball into the front row in Dodger Stadium.

Reactions: N o o d l e s
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad