Hot Line, Curt Keilback and Peter Young on CJOB

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
For those of you older Jets fans, you may be interested in listening to CJOB this afternoon following the 1:00 p.m news. At 1:30, Kathy Kennedy (sitting in for vacationing Hal Anderson) will have former Jets broadcasters Curt Keilback and Peter Young as her guests. Also, just announced this morning, the Hot Line of Bobby Hull, Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson are to be in studio as well just after 1:00 (possibly a bit later due to flight delays coming into Winnipeg). The Hot Line members (along with many teammates) will be in town for the 1978 Avco Cup reunion (40th anniversary) being held at the Hotel Fort Garry on Saturday. Should be some interesting stories for sure!

I had also posted this in the 1290 thread but thought more Jets fans might notice it more if there was a separate thread.

:jets

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Do they really have Bobby Hull coming back for this 40th anniversary? That's quite an accomplishment, as they couldn't even manage to get him back for the Heritage Classic.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Do they really have Bobby Hull coming back for this 40th anniversary? That's quite an accomplishment, as they couldn't even manage to get him back for the Heritage Classic.

He will indeed be here in Winnipeg for the 40th anniversary. Perhaps it was Anders and Ulf that convinced him to come. It is only fitting that the trio be here together. I know that Hull was looking forward to coming to Winnipeg when the Hot Line members were to be inducted into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame back in 2016 at the time of the Heritage Classic but due to negative press from some individuals regarding Hull's domestic problems in the past, he decided it would be better for him not to attend. I'm glad he's here for this special occasion.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
He will indeed be here in Winnipeg for the 40th anniversary. Perhaps it was Anders and Ulf that convinced him to come. It is only fitting that the trio be here together. I know that Hull was looking forward to coming to Winnipeg when the Hot Line members were to be inducted into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame back in 2016 at the time of the Heritage Classic but due to negative press from some individuals regarding Hull's domestic problems in the past, he decided it would be better for him not to attend. I'm glad he's here for this special occasion.

Bobby Hull was a class act when he was in Winnipeg ... always made time to signed autographs and talked to the fans. I will never forget once he even opened the employees entrance door at the arena for me before a Jets game that night. And at the end of the season he came in the room to thanks all the employees for the wonderful job they did during the season ... a true class act.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Since the reunion dinner is also going on that night I suspect the answer to that is no.

According to Geoff Kirbyson (author of The Hot Line) who is organizing the 40th anniversary event on Saturday, if the Jets win tonight, the event at Fort Garry Hotel will be moved up so that it won't conflict with the Jets - Golden Knights game in the evening.

Reactions: ps241

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006

I think there were some legal issues that arose at that time that Bobby Hull was kindly asked not to attend.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I really like Dennis Beyak's call. He may not be refined but you know he is cheering for the Jets and that's what is most important. I definitely have gained appreciation for him listening to Jim Hughson and especially Craig Simpson cheering for the Predators.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Cjob had Bobby Hull, Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nielson , Curtis Kielback and Peter Young.
And the best TSN could drum up was Peter Sullivan and Kim Klackson..lol

Actually over the past 2 weeks cjob have had many of the old jets on the air.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I remember those glory days like they were yesterday. I just wish the 77-78 team had the chance to play the Montreal Canadiens. For those of you who don't think that team would have had a chance, the Jets of that era were one of a very few NHL/WHA teams to beat the Red Army team.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Cjob had Bobby Hull, Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nielson , Curtis Kielback and Peter Young.

Clackson is his name. He was well liked as he was the enforcer and Sullivan was well respected as well.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

TSN had either Nielson (thought it might have been Hedberg) on a couple of weeks ago in the lead up up this event.

Nice that they made it into a lunch. It would be cool if Hull could be at the game so they could at least honour him in a tv time out or something.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
TSN had either Nielson (thought it might have been Hedberg) on a couple of weeks ago in the lead up up this event.

Nice that they made it into a lunch. It would be cool if Hull could be at the game so they could at least honour him in a tv time out or something.

Yes, that would be nice to see. It would be great if all 3 members of the Hot Line were invited to attend the game.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I've never heard anything about this. Do you have a source for this?

I went looking for it and I got it all mixed up like an 80 year old gossipping.

I guess Hull declined for personal reasons. No details as to why.

I mixed it up with a reporter questioning the Jets choice of honoring him by refering to accusations against him (Hull) of domestic violence in the '80s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->