Hosting a Player

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I know somebody who hosted a player. I think they'd rate the experience as a mixed bag. He was a polite kid but didn't contribute to the family -- ate a lot but didn't pitch in for groceries, was lazy about looking for a job (it's mandatory that players have one) and messy. Like adopting a 20-year old, basically. :D

Their oldest children (triplets) are only about 11 so it might have been easier for all involved if the age discrepancy wasn't so great.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I know somebody who hosted a player. I think they'd rate the experience as a mixed bag. He was a polite kid but didn't contribute to the family -- ate a lot but didn't pitch in for groceries, was lazy about looking for a job (it's mandatory that players have one) and messy. Like adopting a 20-year old, basically. :D

Their oldest children (triplets) are only about 11 so it might have been easier for all involved if the age discrepancy wasn't so great.

I think it really depends on the player and the family. I have known players/famalies that are still really close to this day and the players call their ex host families just to talk or will take their host families out for dinner ect. I also know of players that have had to be moved because of "clashes" with the family.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006

they team pays the billets for food, pitching in for groceries, do you think a junior player has time for a job? the billets get paid ridiculously as well as recieve season tickets.

HAHA a guy i know billeted Cam Jansenn (plays for the devils). GONGSHOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
they team pays the billets for food, pitching in for groceries, do you think a junior player has time for a job? the billets get paid ridiculously as well as recieve season tickets.

HAHA a guy i know billeted Cam Jansenn (plays for the devils). GONGSHOW.

I don't care if the kid has a job or not. Getting a part time job was required of every player on the team.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
I don't care if the kid has a job or not. Getting a part time job was required of every player on the team.

haha what kind of junior team was this? a part time job? You've seriously got to be joking me. how could ANY junior player find time to work between school and practice? you're clearly lying lol.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
haha what kind of junior team was this? a part time job? You've seriously got to be joking me. how could ANY junior player find time to work between school and practice? you're clearly lying lol.

a player billets next door to me, they dont have to have jobs.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
For what it's worth, the team the kid played for was the Boston Jr. Bulldogs and their home rink is in Salem, NH. Anybody who wants to research this team/league's policies can be my guest.

My point in talking about this is to say that anybody who becomes a host family basically adopts a teenager. If the kid's a saint, then all the better for the host family. If the kid has attitude problems then all the worse for the host family. Puckboy could very easily end up with a kid like mac-sniper on his hands. :eek:

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
For what it's worth, the team the kid played for was the Boston Jr. Bulldogs and their home rink is in Salem, NH. Anybody who wants to research this team/league's policies can be my guest.

My point in talking about this is to say that anybody who becomes a host family basically adopts a teenager. If the kid's a saint, then all the better for the host family. If the kid has attitude problems then all the worse for the host family. Puckboy could very easily end up with a kid like mac-sniper on his hands. :eek:

im assuming he's talking about the Canadian hockey league.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Should you host a hockey player, host one who has a future. You helped him in his career, and he might help you when he is established in the NHL. :D If not, then he might at least help you with your shots!

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Has anyone hosted a junior player. We are considering it and would like any positive/Negative thoughts on it.
I'm currently a junior hockey player billeting with an older couple, and they thoroughly enjoy it, but have had their run ins this year with kids that took advantage of the process.

Basically if you're considering doing this for the money then you aren't in it for the right thing, because hockey players eat a ton, and aren't exactly low maintenance. They need help with food before games, with specific types of foods such as meat or pasta.

It's not an easy task but if you do it and set clear house rules before, without being overly rude or overbearing about it, most kids won't have a problem, unless you manage to get the hotshot of the team.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I'm currently a junior hockey player billeting with an older couple, and they thoroughly enjoy it, but have had their run ins this year with kids that took advantage of the process.

Basically if you're considering doing this for the money then you aren't in it for the right thing, because hockey players eat a ton, and aren't exactly low maintenance. They need help with food before games, with specific types of foods such as meat or pasta.

It's not an easy task but if you do it and set clear house rules before, without being overly rude or overbearing about it, most kids won't have a problem, unless you manage to get the hotshot of the team.

Would not do it for the money that is for sure, probably cost me some money in food for what whoever it is would eat. Just thought it would be fun to host a player.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Would not do it for the money that is for sure, probably cost me some money in food for what whoever it is would eat. Just thought it would be fun to host a player.
The experience is like nothing else, especially considering most players are grateful for what you're doing for them to play junior hockey in that area. Establish a relationship with them right away, and you'll enjoy it greatly.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
i said my buddy billetted janny, whos in the show now playin for the devils. i dont think the OHL is a shitshow league, maybe thats why janny didn't have a part time job lol.

and to the genius who said you graduate at 18..yeah, you go to university after that slick? in the ohl, theyre required to go part time.

and i'd be a sick billet, who are you guys trevor kiddIN'.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
i said my buddy billetted janny, whos in the show now playin for the devils. i dont think the OHL is a shitshow league, maybe thats why janny didn't have a part time job lol.

and to the genius who said you graduate at 18..yeah, you go to university after that slick? in the ohl, theyre required to go part time.

:help:

Transported Upstater

wErDz.

:biglaugh:

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
you're all a buncha karl dykhuis's, im goin out for some kelly buchbergers as long as my car doesn't eric staal again.

BCCHL inactive

-Chipping in for groceries is the team's responsibility, not the player's.
-He should do his share of chores around the house.
-How do junior players have time for a part-time job? I wouldn't hire one simply because of lack of availability.
-Age discrepancy between player and kids is better the more it is...that is if the child(ren) is female. No smart team would let a player into a household with a teenage daughter.

Maybe where you are, but the Major Junior team here pays as little as possible, and only one season ticket for the entire billeting family, and it must be paid for. The team reimburses the money when the player has made the team past a certain point of the season. If your player gets cut, you're SOL and on the hook for a season ticket. Most other teams offer family passes to games. A couple family members of mine did it here, and they wouldn't do it for a second season. It was costing them money, even when they were getting a monthly cheque from the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->