Hossa - Slapshot

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have basically watched every game Marian Hossa has played since he signed with the Blackhawks. Over the last two games I saw him take more slapshots than I have in all of the other games combined. He pretty much never took one until just recently. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is new for him or if he used to take slapshots earlier in his career but stopped for some reason (possibly the shoulder injury)?

Infinite Vision*

Yeah I noticed the announcers mention that in the game, he's kind of like Messier, they basically only use their wrist shots.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
He used it infrequently in Ottawa, too- since he'd rather beat the defender and get in tight, or get a quick shot off to catch the goalie off guard.

But it's definitely another weapon in his arsenal- he can fire it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hawks fan noticed this too. Last night was really a work of art for Hossa. He went with the low slapper all game and had MacDonald crouching a little more down each time, then when he wound up in OT, MacDonald was already on his knees and Marian roofed a snapshot that beat him clean. Hossa always looks for tendencies in a goalie and exploits them.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Early in his career in 2000 a wild slap shot struck Bryan Berard's eye. We all know how that turned out. That could be part of the reason. Other than that, I've always felt Hossa's game is based on smarts and not power and he's always been a very smart player on the ice. This leads to quicker releases and not the need for a heavy shot

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i don't remember hossa using the slapshot much at all in ottawa, and he very rarely used it with DRW. i think hossa shoots low too often.

jagr is another player who very rarely used the slapshot. he apparently only learned the one timer in washington.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Early in his career in 2000 a wild slap shot struck Bryan Berard's eye. We all know how that turned out. That could be part of the reason. Other than that, I've always felt Hossa's game is based on smarts and not power and he's always been a very smart player on the ice. This leads to quicker releases and not the need for a heavy shot
It wasn't a slap shot at all, the were both standing in front of the net, and Hossa's stick came up and caught him in the face.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It wasn't a slap shot at all, the were both standing in front of the net, and Hossa's stick came up and caught him in the face.

I think you should watch the replay. Hossa is clearly trying to shoot the puck. He misses it and the stick catches Berard's eye. It was an ugly, but unintentional play. But he clearly winded up for the shot

Infinite Vision*

IIRC Last season Ovechkin never scored with slapshot (if we count one timers out)

Yeah he doesn't ever just slap it on his own it's almost always a one timer. Then again just plain slapshots in general are not nearly as common as they used to be due to the decreasing time and space.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have basically watched every game Marian Hossa has played since he signed with the Blackhawks. Over the last two games I saw him take more slapshots than I have in all of the other games combined. He pretty much never took one until just recently. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is new for him or if he used to take slapshots earlier in his career but stopped for some reason (possibly the shoulder injury)?

I don't believe in the injury option.

There are plenty of players like that, Jaromir Jagr is a great example. He almost never used his slapper untill Sergei Gonchar taught him how to one-time it while both were in Washington.

Mikael Renberg almost never used a slapper. Heck Marian Gaborik basically never scores with his slapper, while he uses it at times.

Both Renberg and Hossa use pretty short sticks to start with. They both have -- whats the english term? -- a small angle between the shaft and the blade (for the avoidance of doubt, not the curve on the blade) so that they can handle the puck close to their feets. If he gets a step on a D he'll cut in instead of ripping of a slapper from a bit of a distance.

Hossa also is not the type who creates a lot of open ice far from the net. He cuts around someone and let a shot go in a hurry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->