Hossa, Iginla Inducted to Hall of Fame

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Lowe, wtf?

Hossa, I mean didn't figure him for 1st ballot guy, but jeez what a weak class. He's got a legit case and is probably deserving.

Reactions: BHD

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lowe is the only one I really take issue with. He's like the student who gets an exceptional grade because he is in a group full of brainiacs. The rest of them can at least be defended with a straight face.
Lowe was a good defensemen, but hardly a HOFer.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Lowe was a good defensemen, but hardly a HOFer.

That is what it has come to. I won't disparage a player for being good, but that is what the HOF is now - and that is the issue. Good players - very good ones even - are far more common than generational players. The HOF should be reserved for once in a lifetime players like Iginla (and maybe Hossa) instead of (for lack of a better team) ordinary guys like Lowe. I mean, will we be surprised if Brooks Orpik lands in there in 2025?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I feel that Lowe wouldn't even be in the discussion if he had taken a job managing a Tim Horton's after retirement. The fact that he's been an executive for so long (and a mediocre one at that), means that it's time for the establishment to throw him a bone. :dunno:

Also, his Wikipedia page is one of the most hilariously over-edited ones about hockey players on the site.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I feel that Lowe wouldn't even be in the discussion if he had taken a job managing a Tim Horton's after retirement. The fact that he's been an executive for so long (and a mediocre one at that), means that it's time for the establishment to throw him a bone. :dunno:

Also, his Wikipedia page is one of the most hilariously over-edited ones about hockey players on the site.

No, that belongs to Couturier.

Anyways, Lowe is certainly someone who got in based on politics. @Big McLargehuge pretty much summed it up.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't Hossa still "playing" for the Coyotes? I mean he hasn't play since that ugly skin disease appeared immediately after he collected all his money, but he will not be retired until 2021, so he shouldn't even be considered in 2020.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Penguins legends!

Good for both of them though. I've been over the Hossa thing since '09, but it sure was funny to have some laughs about that whole thing.

And ya can't hate Iggy for any reason. What a bummer it didn't work out better here.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Legends? Literally more like Penguins trivia, maybe even just a footnote

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't Hossa still "playing" for the Coyotes? I mean he hasn't play since that ugly skin disease appeared immediately after he collected all his money, but he will not be retired until 2021, so he shouldn't even be considered in 2020.

The HHOF's waiting period is dictated by games played. Same situation as Pronger.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
yup same situation...straight up cap circumvention that everyone just ignores

Meh... all teams try to find ways to circumvent the cap. The final three years of Crosby's contract, burying Satan in the AHL at the trade deadline then bringing him up for the 09 Cup run, and the Sens/Pens/Vegas Brassard trade all immediately come to mind. Oh and Pascal Dupuis' LTIRetirement the year the Pens beat the Sharks.

GMs are playing by the same rules. Some are just more creative than others.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Meh... all teams try to find ways to circumvent the cap. The final three years of Crosby's contract, burying Satan in the AHL at the trade deadline then bringing him up for the 09 Cup run, and the Sens/Pens/Vegas Brassard trade all immediately come to mind. Oh and Pascal Dupuis' LTIRetirement the year the Pens beat the Sharks.

GMs are playing by the same rules. Some are just more creative than others.

Let me know when the Pens make up a f***ing disease. Legit contract moves are savvy. Pronger and Hossa are bullshit.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Let me know when the Pens make up a f***ing disease. Legit contract moves are savvy. Pronger and Hossa are bullshit.

I support players quitting at any time for any medical reason, especially if the player had concussion problems like Pronger.

If Hossa didn't have the same itch to play through his medical ailments in his late 30s, that's his right.

Good on the GMs for adjusting to those decisions within the framework of the CBA.

Also, I'm not privy to either's medical records so I'll refrain from speculating about their validity.

Reactions: Fixxer

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The hostility towards Hossa that a lot of Pens fans still have is so bizarre. They guy owed nothing to the organization and was brought in as a rental. It's not his fault Shero put all his focus on bringing him back when he obviously had no intention of re-signing. The Pens got their Cups and he got his.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think so. He's very deserving IMO.

Maybe not first ballot I guess but definitely a HHOF player.

I agree. For me personally, if someone were to say a prospect compares favorably to Marian Hossa, that would be one of the biggest compliments a player could receive.

Didn't see him as a first ballot guy, but he is the definition of what a hockey player should be to me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The hostility towards Hossa that a lot of Pens fans still have is so bizarre. They guy owed nothing to the organization and was brought in as a rental. It's not his fault Shero put all his focus on bringing him back when he obviously had no intention of re-signing. The Pens got their Cups and he got his.

Absolutely agree.

Still was satisfying as f*** watching him lose in 2009, though.

The spiciest take on Hossa that I have is probably shared by most hockey fans: not a first balloter, but absolutely a Hall of Famer. Iginla was a first ballot no-doubter and there's this part of me that feels like Hossa getting the same thing somewhat diminishes Iginla's career in comparison...but this is also a Hall of Fame that voted in Kevin Lowe, so it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad