Hossa, Iginla Inducted to Hall of Fame

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He should be in tbh.

He should, but he wasn't exactly the nicest guy when he played (and probably still isn't). Whether or not that's a valid reason to keep someone out of the HoF when they are otherwise deserving is questionable at best, but it's a reality.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Iginla is deserving. Hossa is more of a borderline HOF case to me, certainly in the realm and conversation, but definitely not 1st ballot. Lowe and Holland seem like appeasement picks to the older generation with Lowe being carried by Gretzky and Messier and Holland carried by the late 90s Red Wings. Holland's work with the Red Wings post HOF players is certainly lacking.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Awards

WHL and CHL

AwardYear
WHL West First All-Star Team1998
Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy (WHL Rookie of the Year)1998
CHL First All-Star Team1998
CHL All-Rookie Team1998
President's Cup (WHL champions)1998
Memorial Cup1998
Memorial Cup Tournament All-Star Team1998
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL

Plus numerous appearances for Slovakia, putting up nearly a point per game in intentional play. The Hall is about more than just NHL play. Still doesn't explain Kevin Lowe, but...
This.

Hossa has been a great player his entire career but I never imagined he would even snif the HHOF. It's a shame the threshold is so low these days.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Awards

WHL and CHL

AwardYear
WHL West First All-Star Team1998
Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy (WHL Rookie of the Year)1998
CHL First All-Star Team1998
CHL All-Rookie Team1998
President's Cup (WHL champions)1998
Memorial Cup1998
Memorial Cup Tournament All-Star Team1998
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL

Plus numerous appearances for Slovakia, putting up nearly a point per game in intentional play. The Hall is about more than just NHL play. Still doesn't explain Kevin Lowe, but...

When discussing HOF credentials, someone said a phrase that's carried with me

"Was this person the best player on his team most nights?"

With Hossa...I don't think you can say that

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hossa was a helluva player. 500+ goals. 3 Cups. Played a good 2-way game. I don't really object to him being in the HoF considering who else is in there, but without any individual awards, it is surprising he was first ballot.

Every HoF is watered down to some degree, so I've always been on the side of having a tiered HoF. Have your inner circle that is truly the best of the best. The 3-5 guys that were the best players in their generation. Then you have your perennial all-stars who are great players and put up some MVP-caliber seasons or won some scoring titles or other individual awards. Then you have your very good players who had long enough careers to reach some milestones. Then you know, your coaches/GM's/pioneers/ significant contributors. I don't think anybody would object to Iggy being in that second tier and Hossa being in that third tier.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
When discussing HOF credentials, someone said a phrase that's carried with me

"Was this person the best player on his team most nights?"

With Hossa...I don't think you can say that
In Hossas defence, he played on some teams with really, really good players. Like locks for the Hall of Fame level players.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
In Hossas defence, he played on some teams with really, really good players. Like locks for the Hall of Fame level players.

I realize this.
But HOF player to me should stand out. He's a fine player...a very very good one, but he's in the hall of very good

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Kevin Lowe :loony:

Politics. Everything is politics. Win in the right places around the right people and you'll be treated like an all-time great no matter how thoroughly slightly above average you were.

If Kevin Lowe is a Hall of Famer then Kris Letang is a first balloter...and I don't think Kris Letang is a Hall of Famer. Maybe if Mario pushes for him the way Wayne does for anyone he's ever talked to then he'll get in too.

It's Dick Duff all over again. Win enough in the right places and you're in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Barrasso's so weird to evaluate, but the HHOF's ridiculously biased against goalies, and even more so against American goalies, so Tommy B's antics aren't exactly going to get him a ballot anytime soon. But that assist record alone should absolutely get him in, 'cause that's never going to be broken IMO.

Not to mention he has a Calder, Vezina and two cups.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Kevin Lowe :loony:

Politics. Everything is politics. Win in the right places around the right people and you'll be treated like an all-time great no matter how thoroughly slightly above average you were.

If Kevin Lowe is a Hall of Famer then Kris Letang is a first balloter...and I don't think Kris Letang is a Hall of Famer. Maybe if Mario pushes for him the way Wayne does for anyone he's ever talked to then he'll get in too.

It's Dick Duff all over again. Win enough in the right places and you're in.

Letang will one day be a HOFer.

Not strictly on merit, but mostly because when historians look at the Sid/Geno era Pens, he will be the third name that come up.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Late to the party, but what a damn warrior.

Iggy is class through and through. I always hated when the Avs played Calgary because I knew J. Iginla was going to steamroll and be a force. I really grew my respect for him watching him with my dad when he was playing against the Avs. He was my dad's favorite player that wasn't on the home team.

Needless to say, I was stoked when he came to Colorado even if the stats were very lean during the struggle years of this franchise.

Congrats Jarome, you're a force of nature and every bit deserving of the recognition. I shall continue to rock your jersey at Avs games (whenever the hell that actually become feasible again).

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Late to the party, but what a damn warrior.

Iggy is class through and through. I always hated when the Avs played Calgary because I knew J. Iginla was going to steamroll and be a force. I really grew my respect for him watching him with my dad when he was playing against the Avs. He was my dad's favorite player that wasn't on the home team.

Needless to say, I was stoked when he came to Colorado even if the stats were very lean during the struggle years of this franchise.

Congrats Jarome, you're a force of nature and every bit deserving of the recognition. I shall continue to rock your jersey at Avs games (whenever the hell that actually become feasible again).

Um. I think you are looking for:

Colorado Avalanche

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Lowe is the only one I really take issue with. He's like the student who gets an exceptional grade because he is in a group full of brainiacs. The rest of them can at least be defended with a straight face.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I get that “we” aren’t supposed to like Hossa but that dude was an incredible player. Don’t know if he should have been a 1st ballot induction but he definitely belongs in the hall.

Kevin Lowe is an atrocious boys club induction.

Yeah this is where I'm at on all this, too.

I can at least understand Hossa, despite everything. Lowe is a head scratcher. I mean... but also isn't surprising.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I get that “we” aren’t supposed to like Hossa but that dude was an incredible player. Don’t know if he should have been a 1st ballot induction but he definitely belongs in the hall.

Kevin Lowe is an atrocious boys club induction.

Yeah. I can agree with that first paragraph. Also, I love Hossa and I have no problem with his deal. He made his intentions clear.

Funny you mention that though because he was on HC@Noon and made a comment of like “I have no idea what I was thinking that year choosing not to continue playing with Crosby and Malkin.”

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad