Value of: Hossa contract to cap-floor team.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
A LTIR contract starts the season against the cap on day 1 so team needs to comply, then he can go on L.tIR. This only works on teams who has ELC contracts they can call up against it.
Not necessarily true, there are multiple forms of LTIR. The Hawks put Hossa on LTIR before the season started this year, but they just don’t get to save cap for the deadline.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think Hossa should have to put his equipment back on to see if he still has the allergy.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I could be wrong but didn't the last CBA sort of screw teams by dumping front loaded deals? So if Chicago traded Hossa they would still have to eat a good portion of his cap hit

Only if he retires, which he won't because he'd have to give up the million dollars he makes each season for essentially being retired anyways.

On to the OPs question, I don't think it would cost anything because there won't likely be many teams below the cap floor. Maybe Arizona, possibly Carolina, that'd be it. There are multiple teams with 80 percent insured type contracts that depending on if Hossa is or isn't insured might have a similar real dollar to cap ratio as the Hossa contract.

So I think the supply would out weigh the demand, in which case Arizona might still be able to demand a small asset in exchange for taking on that kind of contract. Even if it is just a 4th round pick. It'd come down to how many teams were looking to pull off that kind of trade. If ARZ was only needing one contract to hit the cap floor, someone would have to offer them the best deal to take that contract.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Think Bolland trade.

Datsyuk retired with a year left on his 35+ contract. No real money owed.

If ARZ needs to hit the cap floor, and ownership does not want to spend to the floor, it'd create a different dynamic than with the Bolland trade. I still think CHI or another team would have to pay, but because it is a win-win situation, I don't think it'd be nearly as much as in the past.

With that said, there's no guarantee ARZ isn't willing to spend to the cap floor. If they are already willing to do that, then the dynamic shifts and yeah it'd probably cost something similar to what it has in the past for those kind of contracts to get moved.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
If ARZ needs to hit the cap floor, and ownership does not want to spend to the floor, it'd create a different dynamic than with the Bolland trade. I still think CHI or another team would have to pay, but because it is a win-win situation, I don't think it'd be nearly as much as in the past.

With that said, there's no guarantee ARZ isn't willing to spend to the cap floor. If they are already willing to do that, then the dynamic shifts and yeah it'd probably cost something similar to what it has in the past for those kind of contracts to get moved.

If they sell off OEL. I think they would be sihgnalling they are heading to the next rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00