News Article: Horton wasn't "going to wait around" for Bruins

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Those are some pretty extreme examples though. I should've clarified more. I guess I would expect a different lifestyle between places like Vermont and Las Vegas.....but Columbus and Boston? Not so much.

How would you know? I have been to Columbus and it is not anywhere close to the Boston area.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
How would you know? I have been to Columbus and it is not anywhere close to the Boston area.

"I guess I would expect......"

Didn't say "I know"

My experience in real cities is this....if the job/working hours are the same, and your access to normal size city entertainment is the same, then the lifestyle you lead is going to be basically the same.

I'm honestly open to hearing about how my lifestyle would be different in Columbus from here though. How did you find it different?

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I work in Boston and live in a quiet suburb where I'm raising kids as do thousands.The commute is about 40 minutes. Most Bruins lived in North Shore suburbs in years past after settling.Wonder what he'll be saying in Detroit in 4 years.

My point being is that he made the decision based on being a parent, not being a "child" as you slagged him. Your choice was different, but it came from the same place of making the decision for someone else besides himself.

As far as your completely baseless speculation about Detroit, hey, if Horton ends up in a big, dirty city in due time and you wanna come here in 4 years and proclaim you won, knock yourself out. Sounds like something "a child" would do (if that's the terminology we're using) but that's just me.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think there were/are two things that happened here

1- Chia, based on his dealings with players in his time here, anticipated Horty would be willing to wait/hear what Chia offers

2- Horty expected Chia to offer him something well before the end of the season or FA began and didn`t, he was PO`d and took the money

While I watched the episode where they react to Horty signing elsewhere, I don`t think they were devastated, I think they were very surprised that Horty did sign so quickly

Truth is, as much as I appreciate what Horty has meant to this team, and as clutch as he was, he was not even close to being the same guy we watched prior to his concussions, any contact made with an opponent was purely incidental. His play reminded me alot of Ryder`s over the last 2 years and if I were the GM, I would have done the exact same thing, talk to him during the summer and see what he wanted, then act accordingly.

I "think" what Chia said publicly about looking at re-signing him wasn`t what would have happened, no way Chia didn`t see what we all did, and that`s a completely different Horty post concussion

This was/is the quote which screamed poser for me...yeah, Boston has no outdoor space for your kids to play Horty

“It came down to the end and like I’ve said, for my family I’ve wanted to get a nice place where my kids can be outside. That’s kind of what it came down to. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...pens_up_on_b_s_departure#sthash.nC1LVKRc.dpuf

You are correct about Horton not being physical after his concussions,but his offensive contributions in the playoffs will not be easily replaced.The man knew where to go in the offensive zone.Had he been healthy in the finals,it may have been a different result.I am not convinced Iginla will be an adequate replacement. I know it is early but he really should have at least two or three goals given the chances he has had.Iginla will probably come around but his shot has not been impressive thus far.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My point being is that he made the decision based on being a parent, not being a "child" as you slagged him. Your choice was different, but it came from the same place of making the decision for someone else besides himself.

As far as your completely baseless speculation about Detroit, hey, if Horton ends up in a big, dirty city in due time and you wanna come here in 4 years and proclaim you won, knock yourself out. Sounds like something "a child" would do (if that's the terminology we're using) but that's just me.

How long are you going to bore me? About 3-2-1-IGNORE. BTW,Marshmont is a stupid nickname,always has been,but go ahead knock yourself out.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
A lot of butt-hurt in here. There's no doubt that this fan-base has become extremely entitled, just like fans of all teams up here in MA have been.

He made his decision which he believed was best for his family. He played out his contract and left as a free-agent. It's not like he demanded to be traded or told the Bruins he would certainly re-sign, and then left down.

It's pathetic to see all of the "Oh, he can go back into obscurity", "Oh, he can go float in Columbus not, etc. comments when if he were still here it would be the constant comments about him being clutch.

Some of you are pretty pathetic, and want to control the lives of others. The sense of entitlement is unreal.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
>>The guy's made 28 million dollars

1. And he has probably paid about $8-$12M in taxes on that.

2. Also, there was this thing called a bad recession that wiped out a lot of personal wealth.

I don't think his bank account has $28M in it minus the cost of a house and an Escalade or whatever.

And anyway, are we really going to start playing the game of deciding when these guys have "made enough" and should start making decisions for more pure reasons? Is this Occupy the NHL?

Whenever somebody starts talking about how passing up tons of $ is a bad decision, my BS meter goes off. Unless you have been in that situation, I don't believe a word of what you say you would do.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I'm always reminded of this bit whenever an athlete leaves Bah-ston.
NSFW if you're in eastern mass.

I would have had less respect for Horton if he didn't take that contract. There's no way he was going to get either the money or the years from Chia. People would have flipped out if they gave post-concussion Horton 3 years and completely burned down this site if he had gotten more than that.
He was not the organization's top priority, saw the writing on the wall, and found another opportunity. Everyone's better off, I'm just happy for a guy that helped get us a cup in my lifetime.

Last edited:

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
>>The guy's made 28 million dollars

1. And he has probably paid about $8-$12M in taxes on that.

2. Also, there was this thing called a bad recession that wiped out a lot of personal wealth.

I don't think his bank account has $28M in it minus the cost of a house and an Escalade or whatever.

And anyway, are we really going to start playing the game of deciding when these guys have "made enough" and should start making decisions for more pure reasons? Is this Occupy the NHL?

Whenever somebody starts talking about how passing up tons of $ is a bad decision, my BS meter goes off. Unless you have been in that situation, I don't believe a word of what you say you would do.

Bingo.

I always shake my head and laugh when people say things like, "Oh, I'd take $2million to play for this team that I really like over $30 mil from this team I might not like as much because I'm not greedy". People who haven't been in a situation where you are dealing with that much money should just be quiet and stop criticizing someone for going after the money. Horton is no different than your average citizen who would love to be paid a lot of money.

You have people who like the pull the "Oh, once you get to $5million in your life-time, you don't need to make anymore money. I could live on a ranch in North Dakota and live off of that for the rest of my life". This is what happens when the Bruins are located in a liberal haven. A lot of cluelessness and self-righteousness.

And, it's clear to me that those that are laughing at him for going to Columbus haven't watched an NHL game in five years. The Blue Jackets are a legitimate playoff contender this year, and will only be better with Horton's return. The Bruins may very well see them in the playoffs, and we better hope "Mr. Floater" (That's his name now that he's left Boston, right? He's not longer "Mr. Clutch"?) doesn't bring some of his Bruins magic with him.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I'm always reminded of this bit whenever an athlete leaves Bah-ston.
NSFW if you're in eastern mass.

I would have had less respect for Horton if he didn't take that contract. There's no way he was going to get either the money or the years from Chia. People would have flipped out if they gave post-concussion Horton 3 years and completely burned down this site if he had gotten more than that.
He was not the organization's top priority, saw the writing on the wall, and found another opportunity. Everyone's better off, I'm just happy for a guy that helped get us a cup in my lifetime.

Ahh yes the infinite sports wisdom of Jay Moore. Of all the names he threw out there in that inane rant maybe 3 got crap on their way out. Manny did, not because he was a bad player but because he quit on the team. Damon said "he would never play for the Yankees" and he signed with them (I don't begrudge him for signing there the contract was much better, I would have done the same) but you can see why some fans might hold contempt when a face of the franchise does sign with arch rival. I'm pretty sure no one said much when Mueller, Lowe (there were stories of his party antics but no one said ahh Lowe sucks, he's gahbage), and Millar left town. How about when Pedro signed with the Mets, no malice from fans there either. Usually athletes that get grilled on their way have done something to rub some fans the wrong way. Horton left for money, who cares. He was injury prone, he did float, but he was clutch. Yes it's possible to float in the season and clutch in the playoffs. Pointing out his flaws when he leaves isn't smearing it's just facts, he would still have the same flaws if he signed here long term. Remember the venom Andrew Ference got when he left? Ya me neither. This rhetoric of Boston fans just love to crap on their athletes on their way out is so exaggerated. Horton left for more money, it was his right as a free agent, good for him end of story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad