News Article: Horton wasn't "going to wait around" for Bruins

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I think Chiarelli didn't negotiate with Horton during the season because his play dictated that he should not get a raise and perhaps even a pay cut, I think Chiarelli didn't want to make an offer because what he would have had to offer him Chiarelli suspected would make Horton angry.

I also think they were waiting to see if Horton did well in the playoffs before they made an offer at all. If he didn't do well in the playoffs they would not have made him an offer anyway.

pentu

Jul 10, 2013
I can't understand where this hatred towards Horton comes from.
He has been a clutch player for us, especially in the playoffs. I can clearly see how he was disappointed that he needed to prove himself to this club. The very same club that he helped get a Stanley Cup by being one of the most important players on and off the ice during that season. He got a great offer by a team that clearly wanted and needed him maybe more than Bruins. Why should he say no?
And to the people talking about his lack of character and going to a smaller market. Have you considered that this might be his last contract and last chance to prove himself to be a 'tier 1 player'. He signed to a team that is rising and going through big changes, team that chose to deal their franchise player - one of the best power forwards in the game. Big shoes to fill but Horton took up the task. If he will become the player Columbus wants him to be he will be a different kind of leader than he was here in Bruins. He will have a lot more pressure since Jackets lack the experience that Bruins roster has. Talk about character.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I'm curious to know how many of you all have actually been to Columbus; I'll guess very few. It's not a bad city at all - a bit quiet but not bad.

Desiring the quiet life is not a flaw.

The Columbus Blue Jackets organization is on the uptick; they have the right people in place and I don't think the way the ended last season (19-5-5, I think) was a fluke - they'll be competing for a spot this year and may very well be in the POs.

Some of you have confused quiet personal life with not making the playoffs - they're not the same thing... at all.

Changing gears: feeling slighted - Peter Chia has a history of locking his 'core' guys up early - it doesn't take a genius to figure that out and I'm sure Horton was able to or, at the very least, his agent was able to point that out to him - not being offered a deal after the clutch goals he's scored... I can understand why he'd feel slighted.

That said - I'm okay with him not being locked up here for the term/cash he got in Columbus.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not sure where all the harshness to NH is coming from -- a bit over the top if you ask me.

He came to Boston and immediately fit the need -- a nasty, physical goal scorer on the top line. Before his unfortunate concussions (emphasis on plural) it was hard not to be happy with him.

Did he float sometimes? Yes he did, but we have some others that we mostly love that occasionally do the same (Lucic, Marchand?)

However, he also did some pretty nice things for us:

Clutch clutch clutch performance in the Cup win year before the Rome hit.
Waiving the banner for us after he was hurt. What a pump up that was.
Putting some of Boston's famous dirty water on Vancouver "soil". See point above.

People calling his character, courage, or integrity into question need to take a chill.

The guy might have wanted a quieter community. He also might have wanted to be locked up earlier like the others that Chia has done. He might have also wanted a huge payday that he likely wouldn't have got in Boston. He might have wanted all three -- none of which makes him a bad person.

Jesus...... :shakehead

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think Chiarelli didn't negotiate with Horton during the season because his play dictated that he should not get a raise and perhaps even a pay cut, I think Chiarelli didn't want to make an offer because what he would have had to offer him Chiarelli suspected would make Horton angry.

I also think they were waiting to see if Horton did well in the playoffs before they made an offer at all. If he didn't do well in the playoffs they would not have made him an offer anyway.

I think it was more about ego/pride with Chia on this one. Since his arrival, the majority of players have seemingly been more than happy to negotiate with the B`s first and Horty chose otherwise. Then again, Chia does have a tendency to wrap guys up early to avoid summer negotiations. Either way, let`s call this what it is, Horty was looking for term and money, I`ll suggest he sure wasn`t going to get the term from Chia anyways, and I highly doubt he would have gotten that $$

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I'm curious to know how many of you all have actually been to Columbus; I'll guess very few. It's not a bad city at all - a bit quiet but not bad.

Desiring the quiet life is not a flaw.

The Columbus Blue Jackets organization is on the uptick; they have the right people in place and I don't think the way the ended last season (19-5-5, I think) was a fluke - they'll be competing for a spot this year and may very well be in the POs.

Some of you have confused quiet personal life with not making the playoffs - they're not the same thing... at all.

Changing gears: feeling slighted - Peter Chia has a history of locking his 'core' guys up early - it doesn't take a genius to figure that out and I'm sure Horton was able to or, at the very least, his agent was able to point that out to him - not being offered a deal after the clutch goals he's scored... I can understand why he'd feel slighted.

That said - I'm okay with him not being locked up here for the term/cash he got in Columbus.

You and I must have had very different experiences in Columbus.

Columbus was the loudest, most obnoxious college town I have ever been to if you are in the part of town where things are happening after dark. I am not even saying that is a bad thing, but it isn't for everyone and according to Horton that is pretty far from what he desires. Maybe in the suburbs it is nice and quiet but as far as nightlife it is out of control. Walking down the street I saw 3 fights in 3 blocks, these were knock down drag out fist fights between college students.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Horton was great for us. He wanted a big contract, we simply couldn't provide it for him. He got it elsewhere, and we did a good job of replacing him.

Everybody be happy! It's just business.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Horton was great for us. He wanted a big contract, we simply couldn't provide it for him. He got it elsewhere, and we did a good job of replacing him.

Everybody be happy! It's just business.

and business has been good for this organization under Chia;)

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I think it was more about ego/pride with Chia on this one. Since his arrival, the majority of players have seemingly been more than happy to negotiate with the B`s first and Horty chose otherwise. Then again, Chia does have a tendency to wrap guys up early to avoid summer negotiations. Either way, let`s call this what it is, Horty was looking for term and money, I`ll suggest he sure wasn`t going to get the term from Chia anyways, and I highly doubt he would have gotten that $$

I think you are right, he was not getting that money or term from the Bruins no matter what but I do still think Chiarelli pays players when he thinks they will perform, he must have had doubts about Horton, Horton erased the doubts about his scoring ability in the playoffs, but yeah, Chiarelli was not going to give him a deal like he got from Columbus.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think you are right, he was not getting that money or term from the Bruins no matter what but I do still think Chiarelli pays players when he thinks they will perform, he must have had doubts about Horton, Horton erased the doubts about his scoring ability in the playoffs, but yeah, Chiarelli was not going to give him a deal like he got from Columbus.

And the fact I have to guess Chia knew that Horty`s off season surgery would have him out for a long time, so now it`s concussions and shoulder problems....no way I would have put up the term/coin for that.

Horty is well within his right to choose any path he wishes, I guess where the original article kind of lost me was his mention of outdoor space...just didn`t understand that line. Either way, incredibly grateful for his accomplishments with this team

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
And the fact I have to guess Chia knew that Horty`s off season surgery would have him out for a long time, so now it`s concussions and shoulder problems....no way I would have put up the term/coin for that.

Horty is well within his right to choose any path he wishes, I guess where the original article kind of lost me was his mention of outdoor space...just didn`t understand that line. Either way, incredibly grateful for his accomplishments with this team

Not trying to be argumentative, what is it you didn't understand? Are you familiar with the concept of people who maybe grew up in a more rural/suburban atmosphere not wanting to raise their family in a city?

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Liked him while he was here but I can live without his floating, just like Ryder, same exact thing...

Iggy is about 10 years older and is the superior player at his age, still drives to the net and has a better shot than Horton.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It does leave one to wonder where he stands with the team when everyone else is getting extended well ahead of time. Even Bergy ,which it can be argued, has a worse concussion history than Nate got extended well ahead of time.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not trying to be argumentative, what is it you didn't understand? Are you familiar with the concept of people who maybe grew up in a more rural/suburban atmosphere not wanting to raise their family in a city?
I see this all the time, especially where I live so I can totally see where Horton is coming from.

Columbus gives him that urban/suburban split with a slower pace of life. He's also closer to his home and family in Welland, Ontario.

I don't fault him for him leaving. What I'm more annoyed with now are his comments about not getting a contract during the season and blaming the Bruins.

Did he approach them when it got deeper into the season? They left that piece of the story out of it and to me, that is key. If he went to them to start negotiating, then I can see why he's upset.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I guess where the original article kind of lost me was his mention of outdoor space...just didn`t understand that line.

Not trying to be argumentative either.

In order for NH to find the kind of green space he is reported to have been looking for and found in Columbus, he would very likely have had to move outside the 128/95 loop due to the very compact urban sprawl within the loop. This would probably have put him too far away from the arena for timely drives to the Garden. I have no idea what he paid for his land in the Columbus area, but I'm sure it was far more affordable than a similar tract of land between 128/95 and the 495 loop.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
The guy's made 28 million dollars and if he doesn't make another penny his great grandkids should be all set.It's about ego,not about what 4 million can do for him versus 6 million. People make stupid decisions based on money all the time and forego happiness. But wait he wasn't happy in this big market after craving it from that disinterested market in Florida,which he now yearns for again and has gotten in Columbus. What do you think is next? He's like a child,I want that til I have it,now I want that. He'll be looking for a more intense market in 4 years. I wash my hands of him. Iginla's better at 36 or whatever the hell he is and a little more stable.

He's like a child? Wow.

If I didn't have kids, I could've lived in South Boston from the day I moved here until the day I died.

When my kids got old enough to spend lots of time outside on their own and making their way through school, my very first thought was to find a place outside of the city in the suburbs.

People can say that they think he did it for the money, and that's fine. He was a free agent. He was within his rights to do so. But the man straight out said he wanted a quieter place to raise his family. I find it interesting that a majority of people give a pass to and even praise Tim Thomas ( and I don't want this to become a TT debate, just using the two examples as a comparison) for taking time off to focus on his family, yet Horton makes a choice that indicates the same kind of thinking and we slag the guy?

That's the opposite of how a child would act. His stated intentions meant he was thinking of his family first.

It's just amazing how easily we eat our own around here, and no, Horton's not a Bruin anymore but I damn well will always think of him fondly for his effort in G7 2011 against Montreal.

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Columbus gives him that urban/suburban split with a slower pace of life.

I don't understand this argument. It's one thing if you're changing jobs from a doctor/lawyer to farmer or something, but his job will be the same.

Hockey player in one city vs hockey player in another city. Same schedule roughly, with the exception of May/June. I guess he won't be playing as much there than here. Other than that? Same basic training camp, practice and game schedule (ie same "office hours"). Same intensity expected on the ice.

If your job is the same, how does the "pace of life" differ just because of geography?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
It does leave one to wonder where he stands with the team when everyone else is getting extended well ahead of time. Even Bergy ,which it can be argued, has a worse concussion history than Nate got extended well ahead of time.

Bergy is in a class of player way above Horton. and I loved Horton

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I don't understand this argument. It's one thing if you're changing jobs from a doctor/lawyer to farmer or something, but his job will be the same.

Hockey player in one city vs hockey player in another city. Same schedule roughly, with the exception of May/June. I guess he won't be playing as much there than here. Other than that? Same basic training camp, practice and game schedule (ie same "office hours"). Same intensity expected on the ice.

If your job is the same, how does the "pace of life" differ just because of geography?

Apparently you have not lived in different parts of the country. I have had the same type of job for over 15 years but have lived in Vermont, Las Vegas and now Foxboro and believe me it makes a difference.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
You and I must have had very different experiences in Columbus.

Columbus was the loudest, most obnoxious college town I have ever been to if you are in the part of town where things are happening after dark. I am not even saying that is a bad thing, but it isn't for everyone and according to Horton that is pretty far from what he desires. Maybe in the suburbs it is nice and quiet but as far as nightlife it is out of control. Walking down the street I saw 3 fights in 3 blocks, these were knock down drag out fist fights between college students.

Are you a Boston local? Just curious...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He's like a child? Wow.

If I didn't have kids, I could've lived in South Boston from the day I moved here until the day I died.

When my kids got old enough to spend lots of time outside on their own and making their way through school, my very first thought was to find a place outside of the city in the suburbs.

People can say that they think he did it for the money, and that's fine. He was a free agent. He was within his rights to do so. But the man straight out said he wanted a quieter place to raise his family. I find it interesting that a majority of people give a pass to and even praise Tim Thomas ( and I don't want this to become a TT debate, just using the two examples as a comparison) for taking time off to focus on his family, yet Horton makes a choice that indicates the same kind of thinking and we slag the guy?

That's the opposite of how a child would act. His stated intentions meant he was thinking of his family first.

It's just amazing how easily we eat our own around here, and no, Horton's not a Bruin anymore but I damn well will always think of him fondly for his effort in G7 2011 against Montreal.

I work in Boston and live in a quiet suburb where I'm raising kids as do thousands.The commute is about 40 minutes. Most Bruins lived in North Shore suburbs in years past after settling.Wonder what he'll be saying in Detroit in 4 years.

member 96824

Translation: "Ive never left the 128 loop"

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Apparently you have not lived in different parts of the country. I have had the same type of job for over 15 years but have lived in Vermont, Las Vegas and now Foxboro and believe me it makes a difference.

Those are some pretty extreme examples though. I should've clarified more. I guess I would expect a different lifestyle between places like Vermont and Las Vegas.....but Columbus and Boston? Not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad