Horton out for season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I hate to play doctor, but myself and a lot of other board members really called this one. There was no reason to avoid surgery for an 18 year old playing on a team that is not in the playoff picture. I don't care HOW quickly that shoulder is healing, you ALWAYS play it safe.

But I'd be pretty hesitant to call him injury prone. A lot of young guys have had injury problems this year (Pitkanen, Bergeron, Burns, Brown), and it's just a fatigue factor along with the huge difference in strength. You might leave yourself open to get hammered in the OHL and get away with it, but not in the NHL.

I'd be more concerned about the rumors of him playing most of last season with a concussion. That crosses the lines of being a "gamer" and borders on stupidity if it's true, IMO.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
If my memory servers me correctly, didn't Bertuzzi go out with an injury his first full season with the Canucks? (98/99?) And look at the player he has turned into. I think if some of the other players banged and crashed as much as Horton, you would see them in the same position or worse than him. I have seen him and Staal standing side by side and Horton is grown into his body way more than Staal, so I think that if Staal was a powerforeward then he would also be having these problems. Also, I was at the game where Nathan got his jaw broken, and it was kind of a cheap shot. He and Stewart were tanlged up and jawing at eachother agains the boards, and it looked like it was just going to be a grappline match, but then Stewart dropped the gloves and popped Horton a few times. Nathan got a few shots in, but by that time Stewart was in full swing, throwing punch after punch, and Horton just couldn't compose himself and make a real fight out of it. I guess you can say that if they were grappling and jawing then it wasn't a cheap shot because Horton should have been ready for a fight to start, but it was about 20-30 seconds that they were there, not a matter of a few seconds, so it really seemed like nothing would happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad