Horton or Flip for Next Year?

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Who would you rather have for next season and beyond (assuming Horton makes it to UFA)?

Flip @ 4mil/year

Horton @ 5.5 mil/year (overpayment but have to these days)

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
If Horton can make it thru a full season concussion-free this year, I'd take him and it's not even close.

A year younger, gives us some size on the top line with Datsyuk, a RH shot, and a better goal scorer. Hell, if Tatar keeps it up, he'll be an inexpensive replacement for Flip in the top 6. I doubt that Horton makes it to UFA as the B's will likely lock him up before he hits it, but I wouldn't think twice about letting Flip walk for Horton.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Tough choice but if Horton is injury free and isn't asking for too much money or term I'll take him. We already have a replacement Filppula in Nyquist, though neither have shown their true offensive upside this year in the NHL.

If Horton wants 6M or 6.5M over 5 or 6 years then we should stay away, anything over 4 years we should stay away from as well. Horton has only played 80+ games in a season 3 times and over the past 4 years (not including this year) he'll miss 18 games a year.

I'd give him 5M on a 4 year deal, 5.5M on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Filppula depending on how he finishes this season and how he does in the playoffs could get anywhere from 3.5M-5M, maybe even 5.5M if a team gets crazy. I'd give 4.25M for 4 years, a bit of potential money there but if he is a 55-65 point forward he's well worth it.

CloneHakanPlease*

Semin at 2 years 6 mil over both.

Or buy out Sammy and use his and the money we were going to give Flip to try and entice Corey Perry.

Ryder for his contract he got with Dallas two years go over all of them, but alas I should stop *****ing.

Last edited by a moderator:

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Horton, starting to give up on filp.

agreed.

I really felt like Datsyuk is the next "guy" in the wings but it appears more and more he will remain a very solid two way player that is a 2nd liner. I would do this because we could use the size.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Ryder for his contract he got with Dallas two years go over all of them, but alas I should stop *****ing.

I wouldn't mind Ryder but everyone else (Filppula, Horton & Semin) all over something else besides scoring. Ryder isn't a great skater, isn't great defensively, can't really forecheck. If he's not scoring he should be in the press box. If we can get him on a 1 year deal I'm all for it.

CloneHakanPlease*

I wouldn't mind Ryder but everyone else (Filppula, Horton & Semin) all over something else besides scoring. Ryder isn't a great skater, isn't great defensively, can't really forecheck. If he's not scoring he should be in the press box. If we can get him on a 1 year deal I'm all for it.

I know. I was actually referring to a few seasons ago when he signed for cheap and then had the most goals per salary in the league.

Or maybe send Filppula for Weiss and then sign Horton.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Tough choice but if Horton is injury free and isn't asking for too much money or term I'll take him. We already have a replacement Filppula in Nyquist, though neither have shown their true offensive upside this year in the NHL.

If Horton wants 6M or 6.5M over 5 or 6 years then we should stay away, anything over 4 years we should stay away from as well. Horton has only played 80+ games in a season 3 times and over the past 4 years (not including this year) he'll miss 18 games a year.

I'd give him 5M on a 4 year deal, 5.5M on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Filppula depending on how he finishes this season and how he does in the playoffs could get anywhere from 3.5M-5M, maybe even 5.5M if a team gets crazy. I'd give 4.25M for 4 years, a bit of potential money there but if he is a 55-65 point forward he's well worth it.

Agree with your idea on term limits for Horton, probably wouldn't want him on anything over 4 yrs, and I would also be willing bump up the salary if he signed a shorter deal.

The only way Flip gets 5.5M is if he goes on a goal scoring tear (not sure he's ever actually done that in the NHL) AND a team needs to take on salary to hit the cap floor. Otherwise, he's playing himself into the 3.5-4.25 area now.

Last season is looking more and more like an outlier for Flip, and that he's actually a 35-45 pt guy. I wouldn't want him for 4M or higher, and probably not at all if they can sign/trade for a scorer and Gus or Tatar replaces him in the top 6.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Perry will cost A LOT.

Horton might not cost that much because of injury

Flip we will probably over pay him because Holland likes our own players.

I would go

1. Try to sign Perry to a reasonable contract (Which will not happen unless Perry wants to play for us badly)

2. Go for Semin short contract (won't happen though because our FO doesn't seem to like him at all)

3. Go for Horton

4. Go for Flip (don't need to sign him before FA starts) or Weiss

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Or buy out Sammy and use his and the money we were going to give Flip to try and entice Corey Perry.

Hello Semin and Perry :nod:

Bye Flip, Sammy, Bert, Cleary.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
1. Perry
2. Semin (unlikely since we didn't even seem to kick the tires on him in Summer 2012)
3. Horton
4. Weiss
5. Fil

Fil just continues to show that he doesn't have the sheer determination to be a top forward on a day-to-day basis. He has shown "flashes" now 7 years or so.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
We have tons of guys in the mold of Filppula. We need either a power forward or a goal scorer to play with Datsyuk. Horton is both of those. Give me him over Filppula even if it's for overpayment. If we don't re-sign Filppula we'll have quite a bit of money to spend on a forward. I also wouldn't mind Ryder. Datsyuk needs a guy that will just shoot.

CloneHakanPlease*

Flip & Horton

why not? :)

I may be in the minority but I feel Filp is redundant on this team. Rather use his money to package for a much better player, or sign a comparable player (Weiss, Horton) and use his money on a good D.

Both him and Horton just scream the type of players that get overpaid during UFA. Flip will get offer for more than he's worth because he has played for the Red Wings, has shown signs of potential, and has a weird European name. Horton will be overpaid because someone will bid stupid high on him assuming he will be constantly healthy, and everyone else will have to raise their offers too. And before you say most GMs aren't that dumb, I counter with Jeff Finger and Ville Leino. A lot of these GMs are there based on connections.

My dream scenario would be to buy out Sammy and keep Flip waiting and use that money to help retain Brunner and get Corey Perry, then promote Tatar to full top 6 minutes. This allows us to nab a high quality forward while still having cash to spend to improve our D.

Brunner-Zetteberg-Franzen
Tatar-Datsyuk-Perry
Nyquist-Anderson-Bertuzzi
Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo

Last edited by a moderator:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I may be in the minority but I feel Filp is redundant on this team. Rather use his money to package for a much better player, or sign a comparable player (Weiss, Horton) and use his money on a good D.

Both him and Horton just scream the type of players that get overpaid during UFA. Flip will get offer for more than he's worth because he has played for the Red Wings, has shown signs of potential, and has a weird European name. Horton will be overpaid because someone will bid stupid high on him assuming he will be constantly healthy, and everyone else will have to raise their offers too. And before you say most GMs aren't that dumb, I counter with Jeff Finger and Ville Leino. A lot of these GMs are there based on connections.

My dream scenario would be to buy out Sammy and keep Flip waiting and use that money to help retain Brunner and get Corey Perry, then promote Tatar to full top 6 minutes. This allows us to nab a high quality forward while still having cash to spend to improve our D.

Brunner-Zetteberg-Franzen
Tatar-Datsyuk-Perry
Nyquist-Anderson-Bertuzzi
Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo

I definitely agree, just cannot picture Holland not re-signing him.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
We actually had an outside shot at Parise. Perry is a pipedream compared to previous targets. He'll re-sign in Anaheim.

Horton has had a history with injuries, but if healthy he could be a good physical top 6 winger and RHS.

I don't think Filppula has negotiating room based on this year's performance. But when you see last year, he's good for $4.5million for 3 or 4 years I think. That cap will go down if the contract length is extended. He's a good skilled player who needs to work on his offense. He can play in all situations and is good for 20-25 goals/60-70 points if healthy on top of playing on the PP and PK.

But Horton could be very effective on Datsyuk's wing and his recent form won't bump the asking price too high either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad