WJC: Horrible team selection (Canada)

Magnum Crackoff

Nov 14, 2006
Is this thread a joke? Seriously? All I heard after your win over the USA was how great your team selection was, and suddenly it sucks? Come on, really?

Canada has too many sore losers. Canada wins, and they're the greatest. Canada loses, and it's that they didn't have their best players, or they don't care about the tournament, or they were still the better team despite the result. And apparently we can add "bad team selection" to the list of excuses. Just admit you lost and move on with it!

Canada always prides itself on its heart and their will to win. Well here was that in the third period? How could a team with so much heart and will to win choke so badly in their championship moment?

Of course they're will be sore losers but I think most of the posters here can admit they've lost fair and squarely. By the way, good job USA for beating Sweden.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Ya man, we would have totally won if we could have sent 3 more teams to the tourney...:sarcasm:

Team selection wasn't that bad. We were dominant for 40 minutes. Its the coaching that should be blamed and the players themselves for not stepping up when the Russians did. Cameron is awful though. You look at the Russian coach and he didn't do anything to deflate his team because he knew their kids have heart. Cameron just yelled for the entire TO, noticeably making everyone even more nervous.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Haha, this is exactly what I love about posters here. You make a comment about how someone starts their post instead of actually reading what is in it, and then you throw in your last comment. You are a beauty, no doubt.

Nope, not frustrated at all. Unlike you, I can give credit to a team that for 6 games and 45 minutes played their behinds off. You just can't see that.

You are just spinning in circles and going off topic. I know the team tried, I'm not saying they lost on purpose. This thread is discussing player selection. This may be news to you but having different players may change the outcome of games.
If Canada tied it at the end and won it in over time, we wouldn't be seeing this thread.

brilliant.jpg

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
It's a single-elimination tournament. Anything can happen. Sweden beat Canada, Canada beat the USA, and the USA beat Sweden. So which of them is the best? None apparently, because the same Russian team that got stomped against Canada in the first game came back to beat them in the gold medal game. That's just how it works sometimes.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Good teams don't blow 3 goal leads in 6 minutes of hockey.

That's exactly it. This team's selection was chosen inadequately. I do not put this loss on the players themselves. They look gassed playing in a tournament with fast teams. You cannot a play defensive style system (as Canada did in the 2nd and 3rd periods with a 1-man forecheck...as it appeared) that can only muck and grind their goals to gain a victory. The players got tired and it showed. I figured this would happen and it did (IMO...anyway). This loss is on the coaches and management...not the players.

Having said, karma comes around. You win big games, you better also expect some epic collapses as well.

This also might be some big time homerism on my part, but I thought Tyson Barrie was the team's most creative offensive defenseman. Canada could have utilized him more by playing him more and giving him the go-ahead to jump up in the play with more frequency. He could have been a beast for Team Canada offensively.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
What a total load of nonsense, unless the original poster was bellowing this at the top of his lungs before and after every single game this thread is Pejorative Slured.

Canada played great, was well coached for almost the entire tournament, scored enough, had a good pp, decent defense. Stink goaltending for the most part.

You could have had 5 more skilled guys out there in the last period and they still could have lost. The coughed up two quick goals, the collar tightened and the team choked in the third, as well the Russians had a never say die attitude.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Well, I'm not going to get into specific player selections, but the philosophy of building a team primarily on the basis of "Let's make the ultimate team for beating Team USA" seemed questionable to me.

It's like tailor-making your NHL squad to be able to defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins... and then later (after you beat the Pens) getting creamed by the Philadelphia Flyers because you can't handle a different type of team.

Canada should make the best all-around team it can, and not with just one specific opponent in mind.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Ya man, we would have totally won if we could have sent 3 more teams to the tourney...:sarcasm:

Team selection wasn't that bad. We were dominant for 40 minutes. Its the coaching that should be blamed and the players themselves for not stepping up when the Russians did. Cameron is awful though. You look at the Russian coach and he didn't do anything to deflate his team because he knew their kids have heart. Cameron just yelled for the entire TO, noticeably making everyone even more nervous.

Gotta agree, Cameron just rode his horses and pulled the reins in.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Is this thread a joke? Seriously? All I heard after your win over the USA was how great your team selection was, and suddenly it sucks? Come on, really?

Canada has too many sore losers. Canada wins, and they're the greatest. Canada loses, and it's that they didn't have their best players, or they don't care about the tournament, or they were still the better team despite the result. And apparently we can add "bad team selection" to the list of excuses. Just admit you lost and move on with it!

Canada always prides itself on its heart and their will to win. Well here was that in the third period? How could a team with so much heart and will to win choke so badly in their championship moment?

Because a team with a little more took it from them.

Check any Canadian teams GDT at any high/low point in their season and this is the type of *****ing/moaning you see after every loss...except this is everyone of those fans pretty much put together.

The coach doesn't regret anything he took, it dominated the tournament favourite and for 40 minutes it owned the game against the eventual champs....but they let it slip for 20 minutes against a team loaded with elite skill.

1. Russia
2. Canada
3. Sweden

It burns.

Oh so close...

obanga

Dec 11, 2008
The question is would a skilled, fast and slick team have fared better against a similar team (as in the Americans or the Russians)? It seems to me that you need a team that can skate quickly yet that can play aggressive forecheck and that can lay the body to intimidate.
Of course, that kind of player isn't exactly commonly found.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Truth

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I'm not mad at the team selection, but not even inviting Toffoli was laughable. Schwartz going down definitely didn't help in the skill department, but Toffoli's wrist shot is elite, NHL level, it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario

As a Canadian, great post. I agree.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
If Canada tied it at the end and won it in over time, we wouldn't be seeing this thread.

No, but it would still deserve a thread.

Other than the American game, this team NEVER looked as good as teams have in the past. The skill was there, but other than here and there in other games they never put the effort forth (again, except against the Americans).

I think this is a prime example of why your tournament goal has to be a certain colour of medal and NOT beating a certain team. If you make it a team, and then don't face them in the finals, you don't have the desire you need to win...much like these guys.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Looking back I would've taken Pickard, and left Olsen out in favour of someone else. But really the selection isn't why we lost, this team was capable of winning and could've had it but they gave up in the end.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Wow..

Wow...

Wow....

We led 3-0 in the third period. Are you serious? I can't even begin to describe how stupid the people who are armchair gming after the game is over. Canada should have played better. They brought the best possible team. Period. Gigantic facepalm to anyone suggesting we should have left off a player like Eakin or Cizikas. Those guys were there for a reason and they played great.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
This Canada team was as good as any that could've been selected based on the players available.

They had no business losing this game, but they wholeheartedly pooped the bed in the final period. Nothing more, nothing less.

It seemed as though they collectively decided to not play at all in the 3rd period.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
You guys want Murphy instead of Cowen or Gudbranson? Get real. If elite shutdown blueliners in their respective leagues weren't shutting the door tonight, what the hell makes you think Murphy would?

The problem with this team was goaltending and lack of secondary scoring. Schwartz got injured, Connolly and Couturier played awful, and players such as Hamilton, Ashton, Foligno, Cizikas, Howden and others were being counted on to provide solid secondary scoring. To be fair to those players, the collapse was because of the defense, Russia's extremely skilled forwards and pathetic goaltending. Visentin could not make the big save, or any save when it mattered.

You must be trolling...

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
This Canada team was as good as any that could've been selected based on the players available.

They had no business losing this game, but they wholeheartedly pooped the bed in the final period. Nothing more, nothing less.

It seemed as though they collectively decided to not play at all in the 3rd period.

Dead on. In fact thats exactly what Schenn said in his interview. Really shameful and thats what makes this loss harder to take then last years..if they played their hearts out and lost its still easy to be proud..but that was shameful..that being said...just another thing to keep in mind and a lesson to learn that future canadian teams will have...At the end of the day..this loss sucked..but 10 straight visits to the gold medal game is still extremely impressive..

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site

To be fair to myself, I had formulated my opinion on this team before the playoff rounds. I didn't think they would win. Team Canada came closer than I had expected. I think, maybe, if the team had a choice to add faster and skilled players that could play in this tournament, they would have. For one reason, or another, they didn't think the others in the CHL had what it took. As well, unfortunately for Canada, the fast and skilled players that could have played are all playing in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->