Confirmed with Link: (Hornqvist traded to Florida for Matheson + Sceviour) Part 2

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Didn't JR say he did not like the trade in some article? forced to do it because covid pretty much but YEESH at the return.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I thought Hornqvist was impervious to threats?

Ejf6XO_WkAAhcZO

Reactions: Gurglesons

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And like 1200 other guys in North American are an NHLer at least. This is one of those...'well, a bottom six player left, and oh, wait, there is a billion more to come in, so whatever' things.

Not really. You can't just put any guy with skill and he's able to not look out of place. Simon can play with Sid, and though it's not ideal, a coaching staff can roll with it. He's not just some fringe bottom 6 NHLer - his better spot is probably in the bottom 6, but he has good hockey sense and some skill.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Still love the trade and his last 20 games he has been very good. Matheson-Ceci have taken over the 2nd pairing duties over Pettersson-Marino. That is huge and easily makes him worth his contract. I always said if he beats out Pettersson for the 2nd pairing we win that trade. The average 2nd pairing defensman get paid $4-5 million a year on second contracts. Getting one in his prime for a 34 year old winger making $5.5 million a year for the next 3 years playing on our 3rd line. Matheson-Ceci have really stepped up when the team needed the offensive punch with 5 forwards out. They really have put up great numbers since being a pairing.

Love the skating and offensive skills. Fun player to watch and I will take the bad with the good. His mobility has been key in getting the puck out of our zone. Ceci also is a much better skater than advertised. Pens have 5 above average skating defensman and Pettersson is ok also. Definitely the best skating defense group we have had in the Crosby era. I make this trade again without hesitation. Glad it worked out for Florida also. Hornqvist wasn't going to get that opportunity on our team so I am happy for him.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Mike Matheson has 16 pts in 43 games (15 of them at even strength) pro-rated to 31 points in 82 games which would be a career best for him.

He's also a +9 this season. Last season in FLA he was a -1 and the year before he was a -24.

Sceviour who was just a salary throw-in has 5+5 for 10 points and has been a decent 4th liner.

Not the perfect trade and I wasn't a huge Matheson fan, but his skating ability has been great for the D-core.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I do worry about Matheson if we lose Ceci (or Ceci returns back to Earth)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I do worry about Matheson if we lose Ceci (or Ceci returns back to Earth)

I think we could slot Marino next to him long term and it would be alright. Pettersson needs Marino.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think we could slot Marino next to him long term and it would be alright. Pettersson needs Marino.

Historically, Pettersson doesn't need anyone. He was actually better without Marino than with him last year:

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Pettersson's a solid two-way defenseman. Struggled a fair bit earlier this year after Oshie took his block off (unsurprisingly), but he's looked more like his old self as the year's progressed.

I just wish he didn't get hit so often. That's probably the biggest drawback for MP IMO. How long can he hold up?

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Luckily Matheson exceeded expectations, but dammit I still miss Horny. Glad to see he's killing it in Florida.
Most Florida fans are happy that Mattheson rebounded for you guys :) He was just plain stuck with Florida and that contract made it impossible i think.

Horny was esculent first half of the season and injured second half which has been fine with our depth on wing with our prospects. He definitely has been worn down by compressed schedule

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Historically, Pettersson doesn't need anyone. He was actually better without Marino than with him last year:

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Pettersson's a solid two-way defenseman. Struggled a fair bit earlier this year after Oshie took his block off (unsurprisingly), but he's looked more like his old self as the year's progressed.

I just wish he didn't get hit so often. That's probably the biggest drawback for MP IMO. How long can he hold up?

Pettersson is a weird guy because I don't feel as though he has looked particularly great with anyone - like that sublime type chemistry with a guy like Dumo and Letang have, and I think we are scratching the surface of that with Matheson and Ceci. Ceci is actually turning into a defenseman I'm re-signing without a second thought. He's been so much better than I even thought he would be.

For now it's a trade that's worked out for both teams

It has, but holy shit do we need a Hornqvist type guy when games get a bit dull and we need some pop. Especially against Boston. Sometimes against Rask you have to get in his grill and shake him up a bit. We have no one who really does that right now aside from Tanev and Blueger on occasion.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
P
It has, but holy shit do we need a Hornqvist type guy when games get a bit dull and we need some pop. Especially against Boston. Sometimes against Rask you have to get in his grill and shake him up a bit. We have no one who really does that right now aside from Tanev and Blueger on occasion.

We could really use a Hornqvist but I also can't fault the bit where Rutherford decided our top 9 RWs were Rust, Kapanen and Tanev, that's working pretty well. I think revisiting this balance is something the front office will revisit in the off-season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pettersson is a weird guy because I don't feel as though he has looked particularly great with anyone - like that sublime type chemistry with a guy like Dumo and Letang have, and I think we are scratching the surface of that with Matheson and Ceci. Ceci is actually turning into a defenseman I'm re-signing without a second thought. He's been so much better than I even thought he would be.

Ceci's one of the guys I've had to eat crow on this year. He's good at just about everything so long as you don't pile minutes on him.

100%.

Nobody on this team is in his stratosphere.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Most Florida fans are happy that Mattheson rebounded for you guys :) He was just plain stuck with Florida and that contract made it impossible i think.

Horny was esculent first half of the season and injured second half which has been fine with our depth on wing with our prospects. He definitely has been worn down by compressed schedule

How has Matthenson rebounded? He appears to be the same gifted but flawed player.

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Nah. Usual story with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->