Signing(s): Hopkins signs with the Titans

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Feels like a guy who cared about getting paid and nothing more. This Titans team wins 7 games at most (which may be enough to win the South, lol).

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Hopkins was never signing with the Chiefs or Bills unless he was really willing to take a significant pay cut to try and win a SB, but I won't judge anyone for taking the most money they can get. Him signing with a mid team that could offer more than a true contender always seemed like the most likely outcome.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Don't blame him for this signing. I don't think there were any contenders that really were going to go for him. People thinking he was singing in Buffalo or Kansas City were delusional.

KC just won a Superbowl after getting rid Tyreek Hill. Why would they run out and spend $13m/year on a shiny new receiver. Buffalo has Diggs already and a slew of other capable receivers, plus Hopkins doesn't really seem the type to want to rough it in the god awful Buffalo weather.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Feels like a guy who cared about getting paid and nothing more. This Titans team wins 7 games at most (which may be enough to win the South, lol).

What’s the max a contender would have given him? Players have egos and do expect to be compensated fairly for what they bring to the tab. If he’s getting $13 mill you really can’t go below $10 and expect him to sign.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
So 2 average football teams were in the running for Hopkins. i see both Tennessee and New England 8-9 or 9-8 at best. I do wonder if one of the contenders offered less and tried to convince him he could win a Super Bowl and he turned them down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So 2 average football teams were in the running for Hopkins. i see both Tennessee and New England 8-9 or 9-8 at best. I do wonder if one of the contenders offered less and tried to convince him he could win a Super Bowl and he turned them down.
One thing to be around 15-20% less like around the $10 mill range vs $13 mill that he signed for. If the good teams are offering closer to $5-7 milli get not taking half of your value.

In the end could very well see DHop moved at the deadline of Ten is like 3-5 at the halfway mark. Then Tenn eats more of the contract and DHop goes to a contender while still getting paid. But it’s a mid season move where he would have to learn a new playbook. So his route tree would be limited for a few weeks.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
You have to wonder though if going to a better team with a better QB situation might have allowed him to be more successful and maybe he loses money this year but can rebuild his value for a better deal next year

Hitching himself to Tannehill might finish his career

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You have to wonder though if going to a better team with a better QB situation might have allowed him to be more successful and maybe he loses money this year but can rebuild his value for a better deal next year

Hitching himself to Tannehill might finish his career
Unlikely he remains with the team if they are bad at the deadline. Could get moved for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Figure at some point this season, be it game 6, 10, 13 the Titans will put one of the 2 youngsters in to get some reps and get ready for 2024.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Unlikely he remains with the team if they are bad at the deadline. Could get moved for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Figure at some point this season, be it game 6, 10, 13 the Titans will put one of the 2 youngsters in to get some reps and get ready for 2024.
If no one bit on him when he was on the trade market last offseason no one will bite on him at the deadline. Only way he's not a Titan the duration of the deal is being cut again.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
There was no way he had any interest in the Pats....

Bill O'Brien did a Belichick imitation and literally traded him to Arizona in the first place.

There is no loyalty or appreciation there, it is only business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad