Hopkins and Landeskog go 1-2, who does Florida choose?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Larsson. Yeah, it is unfortunate there isn't three premier forwards given that Florida needs RNH more Edmonton or Colorado, who are loaded with young offensive talent. However, Larssson-Gundbransson-Kulikov-Garrison-Ellerby-Robak-Petrovic-Markstrom has the makings of an elite defensive group.

After losing McCabe, Frolik, Wideman, Allen and most likely Vokoun, they are bound to struggle next year, where they are IMO, the favorite for Yakupov, where they can start to add to a dominant defensive core with a premier forward.

Assuming all their defensive prospects work out, they can always deal one of them for an equivalent forward. My guess is, if they do make a deal, Larsson isn't the one who'd be shipped out.

NJ_CATS_FAN

We Dont Suck Anymore
Mar 21, 2006
N.J.
Florida makes the Devils think they are going Larsson, they trade down to #4, and the Devils need a franchise d-man and take Larsson at #3, and the Cats get Couturier at #4, and also gain an extra draft pick for moving down 1 spot. As tempting as it would be for the Cats to stay put at #3 and take Larsson, we need goal scoring badly!!!! Whichever way the draft unfolds, I think unless RNH falls to #3 which isnt going to happen, the Cats will end up with Couturier.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Florida makes the Devils think they are going Larsson, they trade down to #4, and the Devils need a franchise d-man and take Larsson at #3, and the Cats get Couturier at #4, and also gain an extra draft pick for moving down 1 spot. As tempting as it would be for the Cats to stay put at #3 and take Larsson, we need goal scoring badly!!!! Whichever way the draft unfolds, I think unless RNH falls to #3 which isnt going to happen, the Cats will end up with Couturier.
Devils don't draft based on need, they take BPA. If they think Murphy is the BPA in the draft they will take him with the 4th pick.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think the Devils will trade out of the #4 spot anyway, they always seem to move down and find a gem.

Lou moves up just as often as he moves down. With recent first round picks, he moved up for Parise (2003) and Zajac (2004), moved down for Corrente (2006) and Tedenby (2008), and moved up for Josefson (2009).

Lou will take whoever he thinks is the best pick. If he has someone targeted, and he thinks he has to move up to get him, he will. If he believes the player he wants will drop, he'll move down to pick up extra assets and still get his man.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Florida could opt to trade down but I don't think they chance moving down to 6th and out of the top 5 so Ottawa probably won't move up to 3.

The Islanders could try to move u to 3 if Larsson is still on the board and certainly have the young players and/or picks to make it happen. Garth will not hesitate to move assets for the player he wants (see DeHaan). Now, if Florida does this and moves down to #5, and the Islanders drat Larsson, then it's likely that NJ will draft one of Couturier or Huberdeau. Florida would be taking a chance that the guy that they want would get snatched up by NJ. In that case, I'd say that NJ would likely take SC and that would probably be the guy Florida would want.

Now, what I think is a likely win/win is that Florida trades down one spot to NJ with NJ giving up a young player or prospect since they don't have many picks to deal unless Florida will take Washington's 2012 2nd rounder. Now, this gives Florida a chance to pick up an additional asset, They do it with the knowledge that NJ will pick Larsson and they still get the forward that they want (either Couturier or Huberdeau). Why would NJ give up the pick? Essentially to ensure that they get their man and he does not go to the Islanders.

Of course, this is based on Colorado taking Landeskog at #2 but I'd say that's only about a 35% chance. I'd also give 25% chance to Huberdeau but a 40% chance they take Larsson. The only wildcard in this is what Colorado sees as within their grasp at #11. I think the options at #11 are better for D-men then wingers so hopefully, they go forward at #2 and D at #11.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
I literally have no idea what the Avs are gonna do. The temptation of having Erik Johnson and Adam Larsson may be too good to pass up.

Then again Landeskog fits the Avs needs perfectly. Size, physicality, shoot first mentality with great leadership and defense.

Don't envy the choice the Avs chief scout is gonna have to make.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I voted SC, but meant Huberdeau. They take the more dynamic offensive player.

Zeroknowledge*

I wouldn't be surprised if Florida goes for Huberdeau here, assuming he keeps it up during the playoffs, they need an explosive attacker more than anything right now, they are stacked on D and I have a feeling they'd go for Huberdeau over Couturier, if it was up to me I'd go for Larsson, just a feeling though.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
They take whoever they deem to be the best player available. Maybe Tallon likes Courturier or Huberdeau or even Strome better than Larsson. While conventional wisdom is that Larsson is the best player available, perhaps the scouts of Florida see something in Larsson, Huberdeau and Courturier that the rest of the scouts don't.

Either way, they won't be drafting for position. You can get away with drafting for position if you've got a wealth of talent throughout the system but Florida doesn't have the assets to not take BPA.

A Kulikov-Gudbranson-Larsson trio would be sweet.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Huberdeau. Doubt he drops to three, but I wouldn't think twice if RNH were still available. The Panthers need that dynamic, scoring forward imo.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Creating a position of strength is never a bad thing. Building from the net out is the way to go, and eventually you can deal from the strength to fill a weakness. That's why you always take BPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->