GDT: Honoring the GOAT: HHOF Game, Devils @ Maple Leafs, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I don't even need to click on the vid. Just look at the picture of Hynes' face.

It says it all.

2m7hya.jpg

LOL...no

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
The Seney-experiment has to end. He is not an NHL player at this stage of his career.

And trading Henrique wasn't such a smart decision it seems. We filled one hole by digging another, way deeper one. Sure, I know, we made the playoffs, but the fact is: We were 14-6-4 (1.3 points/game) before the trade and 30-23-5 (1.1 points/game) after the deal. So we got worse. And now we're without a 2c and get killed game after game.

This team looks like a total train wreck at this point. Actually, it doesn't even look like a team. More like a bunch of chicken without heads. Something has to change and soon. I guess it'll be the coaching staff that will take a hit now. Do I like it? No, I'd have loved to see Hynes build on last year and take another step forward. Instead, he lost it completely and seems to have no clue. The interviews after these drubbings clearly show it. He sends out the same defensive units time and again. Why did they even recall Yakovlev if they don't play him at all?

One positive note: McLeod is starting to gain confidence in Binghamton, maybe he will turn into something useful after all. Zacha looks exactly the same in Binghamton than in New Jersey. This guy will never be anything more than a warm body. What a waste of a draft pick.
The Henrique trade is a great example of why you cannot trade your way to being a cup contender. That was a fair hockey trade. We can argue who "won" the trade, but a year later both teams are struggling. Right handed DMen that can play 20 minutes a night are valuable just like forwards that score 20-30 goals every year are valuable. Just ask the forwards on the Devils how hard it is to score 20 plus goals a season in the NHL.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Taylor Hall has 5 ES points in 14 games. Tied with Mueller and fewer than Coleman. Completely unacceptable.
Correct but I think everyone was expecting a decline in Hall's performance this season. Last season was far and away his best season statistically. I would describe him as a dynamic 25 goal scoring left wing with great playmaking skills. I would not describe him as a perennial MVP candidate. Watching the Devils this season makes his season last year even more remarkable. He really did carry this team to the playoffs.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
It's called hitting the mental wall as a professional athlete. That moment when the players realize that their best is not good enough. They start to panic and try to do too much. Firing Hynes will change very little. Let Ray do his job and rebuild team. Hopefully, we get a top 10 pick.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's called hitting the mental wall as a professional athlete. That moment when the players realize that their best is not good enough. They start to panic and try to do too much. Firing Hynes will change very little. Let Ray do his job and rebuild team. Hopefully, we get a top 10 pick.
I'm still waiting for the scout quotes you are supposed to provide.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I'm still waiting for the scout quotes you are supposed to provide.

I talked to a scout in the preseason who told me that they are a "one line team with too many pass first players who hug the perimeter." Teams like that don't go very far in this league. I don't know what another coach will fix intrinsic problems like that. They are who they are.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I talked to a scout in the preseason who told me that they are a "one line team with too many pass first players who hug the perimeter." Teams like that don't go very far in this league.
[citation needed]

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Holy shit I somewhat agree with you.

Until the last line of course. I don’t hope for that. Season is still young.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I don't believe you. Anyone can claim they talked to an insider in an effort to support the position they have already been pushing.

Thta's the product on the ice atm. Unless Hynes decides to roll back to low event hockey, it's going to be a long season.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

I thought that as well when we were pinned in our D zone and couldnt get out as Leafs were pressuring so hard. Seemed like the guys where anemic as they understood the opponent was just so much better that it was pointless to even try. They knew how it would turn out.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
The difference in the team is Jesper Bratt. That sounds crazy but I’ll let you know why. We started really hot last season and Bratt was playing so well. He was great on the PP, 5v5 and everything. He created this huge scoring threat.

He lost confidence or it was an injury/endurance and the team as a whole struggled because it missed a top offensive threat.

Then THall went beast mode and Kinkaid shut everything down so we didn’t need Bratt to squeeze into the playoffs. The problem is that type of dependence doesn’t work over the course of 82 games.

If Bratt regains his form we can get 2 really good scoring offensive threats as lines and make the playoffs or get close to it.

Reactions: glenwo2

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I do have to say that TSN was pretty high on Bratt last night. They even had a little discussion on his drop off last year, saying how it was expected and normal after he jumped from the Allsvenskan to the NHL, which is a massive competition jump, and had never played that many games before.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I gotta be honest here. I really think the devils need to get schneider more starts and stick with him. Playing him two or three games isnt going to help him or the team. He's a very good goalie and needs games to get back into game shape. Short term pain, long term gain. He can steal some games.

Reactions: Balance

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I gotta be honest here. I really think the devils need to get schneider more starts and stick with him. Playing him two or three games isnt going to help him or the team. He's a very good goalie and needs games to get back into game shape. Short term pain, long term gain. He can steal some games.
He hasn't been "very good" in quite a while.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hes had his injury issues here and there, and I do think it hurt his game, but mechanically he is a good goalie. Look at his career stats
Yes, let's look at his stats. Since the 2016-2017 season he has a 37-45-17 record with a 2.89 GAA and .907 Sv%. Hardly an elite goaltender.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yes, let's look at his stats. Since the 2016-2017 season he has a 37-45-17 record with a 2.89 GAA and .907 Sv%. Hardly an elite goaltender.
What about his first two years with the devils? Why the selective stat picking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad