Honesty: we can’t make any conclusions about this team based on the regular season

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
We know and knew they can beat the likes of Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver. We know they can turn up the heat against these teams. We often seem to struggle in the crunch time against teams that play a more playoff style of hockey , something a large part of us have agreed upon here for a while.

This regular season doesn’t really answer questions about the improvements the team has made to better handle those teams. No Boston, no St. Louis, no Vegas, no Columbus. Can they play a tight game against teams that clog the neutral zone, forecheck heavy, and limit scoring, at least better than they used to? I don’t think we can say one way or another until the playoffs.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I think we can: this team healthy would crush the North Division in the playoffs.
If later on though we meet Tampa, Carolina, Bruins it won’t be easy.
I’m loving the team depth though and Matthews/Marner combo is basically unstoppable now, I don’t care what match up in the entire league you throw at them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we get out of the North Division there’s no written rule that a path to the Stanley Cup has to go through St. Louis, Boston, Vegas or whomever that plays that big bad style. And if we’re in the semi finals I’m guessing this team will have no shortage of confidence either.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
We know and knew they can beat the likes of Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver. We know they can turn up the heat against these teams. We often seem to struggle in the crunch time against teams that play a more playoff style of hockey , something a large part of us have agreed upon here for a while.

This regular season doesn’t really answer questions about the improvements the team has made to better handle those teams. No Boston, no St. Louis, no Vegas, no Columbus. Can they play a tight game against teams that clog the neutral zone, forecheck heavy, and limit scoring, at least better than they used to? I don’t think we can say one way or another until the playoffs.
Can’t argue with that at all

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The final four and SCF will be unique to this season in being the first meetings between the teams involved in them. Toronto making it to even the conference finals will be progress not seen in a long time for the franchise.

Reactions: ruaware41 and banks

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
The worst case scenario is winning a first round playoffs series against any team
Anything less , would be a unmitigated disaster !
2nd round win would be a success
The cup would be unreal
But this team and organization and everyone involved and it’s young stars have to win a round

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I really think that the North is bad narrative is lazy one. Sure, it’s not top heavy like the west but it’s also not littered with five dogs like in the same west. The central is equally mediocre as well. These alignments are awkward and have created real have/have nots in each division.
under normal divisional alignments 5/7 Canadian teams probably make the playoffs this year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

See you in a couple months, then!

Take care!

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs have a ton of injuries last year + Babcock during the season and everyone loved drawing conclusions from that.

Leafs are finally healthy(ish) and dominating like many predicted, now we can't draw any conclusions.

People need to actually watch Bruins/Bolts games this year, they're not overly impressive at the moment. Boston isn't creating ANYTHING 5 on 5, but on the flip side they're not allowing much either. Tampa's 5 on 5 play has taken a HUGE hit this year without Kucherov.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I have a feeling if we were 9-8-2 right now we wouldn't be hearing that the regular season doesn't mean anything.

Since 18-19 we've been pretty much the best team in Canada (Oilers finished 1 spot ahead of us last year)

Like the OP said, we already knew that we could beat the other Canadian teams.

If we were playing .500 hockey, then it would be quite a big deal as we would be on pace to miss the playoffs. Seems pretty obvious.

Reactions: ruaware41

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really think that the North is bad narrative is lazy one. Sure, it’s not top heavy like the west but it’s also not littered with five dogs like in the same west. The central is equally mediocre as well. These alignments are awkward and have created real have/have nots in each division.
under normal divisional alignments 5/7 Canadian teams probably make the playoffs this year.

I don't know if the North is necessarily weak so much as it seems like the Atlantic Division was unusually strong at the top. Obviously if Toronto, Boston, Florida and Tampa were all playing each other they'd likely cancel each other out it's not like each of the temporary divisions doesn't also have some garbage teams to beat up on.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
If we get out of the North Division there’s no written rule that a path to the Stanley Cup has to go through St. Louis, Boston, Vegas or whomever that plays that big bad style. And if we’re in the semi finals I’m guessing this team will have no shortage of confidence either.
I think that this is the key for Toronto. If we can finally get the damn monkey off our back and win in the playoffs, I see no reason why they can't win the whole thing.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019

Montreal is a good test, even Ottawa, Murray can't play goal and Freddie kept us in the first period last game. Both those teams were playing heavy and aggressive. When Edmonton played us last game, they ran over us. We have one line that can score and certain defenders who give up odd-mans like candy. Our first line (and Freddy most of the time) is the only thing that's dominating, everybody else is getting tested to the max on a nightly basis.

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
Yes the Leafs being massively better means all the other North division teams suck. Funny though,When I said this to people in December, I was mocked for being a homer and made to look at a list of absolute plugs and told to be weary of them

Reactions: ruaware41

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So the Leafs lose, it's the end of the world, they shouldn't be losing, etc etc etc. The Leafs win, it doesn't matter. Sounds like they are in a lose-lose situation.

It's ok to enjoy something. It won't hurt you. Nobody has a crystal ball. Enjoy the moment.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Can you just try to enjoy this?

And FYI, Vegas has had the esaiest schedule in the NHl thus far

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
I think that might be the strongest division IMO

Nashville if they can sort out their coach won't be nearly as bad, stars are a cup contender. Blue jackets are a tough team for us, blackhakws are kind of weak but have firepower , panthers and hurricanes look strong

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

That's the same for any season and team.
I mean if that wasn't the way wouldn't the presidents trophy winner win the Stanley cup every year or at leas at a high percentage hell even 50% of the time?
If the regular season was so damn important they could eliminate the playoffs all together because obviously the team that was first overall for the season must be the one that would win the Stanley cup.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
There's a weird thing that goes on in this market where we are not suppose to feel good about the team like any other market would,

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
If the Leafs didn't get an excuse for having the hardest path in prior years; then, there shouldn't be an excuse against them now. This fanbase needs to stop being so deflating. The team can sense it. Our environment at games suck because of it (in prior years). You can change the players; but, the loser attitude persists. Time to change the attitude in the city. Be happy with what this team is icing this year. Believe in the team you are following. Otherwise, why even waste your time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->