honest ... if VAN can do it, why cant others ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
Tom_Benjamin said:
Glen Sather, great GM is one of hockey's biggest myths. He hasn't made the playoffs in more than a decade. His record developing young players the last 15 years has surely been the worst record of any GM ever in a 15 year period.

Tom

I'll agree that Sather did a poor job in both player drafting and player development in Edmonton in the last several years of his time in Edmonton (and he was as lucky as brilliant during the first part, too. Gretzky got on Nelson Skalbania's jet in Indianapolis and landed in Edmonton instead of Winnipeg - that was the lucky stroke of a lifetime. Barry Fraser was a great scout for a few years (found Jari Kurri when no one was looking in Finland), but Sather let Fraser run player development from Mexico for more than a decade, too. Certainly Sather managed the young assets he had very well, and you have to be very good to make the most of good fortune in hockey.

It's not quite true about Sather not making the playoffs in a decade, as he was General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers teams that made the playoffs (after a four year absence) in 97,98, 99 and 2000, when he was replaced by Kevin Lowe...

Last edited:

Big Cat Davo

Oct 7, 2003
Medicine Hat, Albert
Visit site
All about the stakes

The problem, I think, is that the stakes are too high. I do not want to see medicority rewarded with on ice success. If a GM makes bad moves and his team loses then fine. It happens. But if Naslund does not becaome what he is now, and Bertuzzi does not emerge, and Canucks lose their franchise would you still be preaching the same line? It is one thing to say of Naslund and Bert don't develope that the Canucks suck for 3 more years untill their next batch of prospects has the chance to become impact players, breaking even or taken minor losses. But in today's market it seems like an unsuccessful rebuild will cost a city, and more importanly, the fans, its franchise. And that is what has become unacceptable. Both Calgary and Edmonton were on the verge of losing their teams. If Iggy ended up another Val Bure and Mikka Kiprosoff turned out to actually be the third stringer the Sharks had him pegged as where does that leave the Flames? A 8th straight year outside of the playoffs, with losses mounting. When it still costs 22 million to field a team as bad as the Penguins were last year, it that not a problem?

Dave

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
oilswell said:
Great point. They should expand to Saskatoon. All they'd need to do is hire Burke. Don't the NHL hire any professional businessmen?

your point is well taken. if the market can not support the team, no amount of front office talent will save it.

so, is the problem with teams like CRL, ANA and NSH, the front office, the market or both ?

really, if its the market, then no CBA will help.

dr

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Tom_Benjamin said:
I agree. This is the only way in Edmonton, New York and Vancouver. In my opinion it can happen in all 30 markets. Pittsburgh and the Islanders need a new rink. If a team does all three things right (draft and develop players, make astute trades and make prudent free agent choices) they become elite and they can afford to become elite.

I think that all 30 teams have the potential to become successful under the old system... IF they follow the natural 'cycle to success'... Start young and cheap, steady growth by keeping the young core together and augmenting it through astute trades and 'sensible' free agent choices (i.e. not the high priced stud players), and when the team finally becomes elite (or close to elite), THEN acquire the stud, high priced free agent(s)/players to put you over the edge for a serious cup run...

IMO, this is the natural life cycle of an NHL franchise... then the cycle repeats itself - with various degrees of success based on the GM's and team's implementation of the strategy...

When teams try to 'skip steps' in the life cycle (i.e. cut corners), IMO, not only does the team suffer (through interupting the natural evolution of the team and disrupting team salary structure) but the rest of the league suffers as well - by driving up costs in the market...

IMO, this is what the strategy must be for ALL franchises - to ensure a healthy, viable league... If the GM's and teams don't have the sense to do it themselves, then IMO, the league has to try and force teams to use this strategy... Otherwise, as we've seen, costs spiral out of control...

Tom_Benjamin said:
This is exactly the way it should be. The teams that do it right should reap the rewards. If a team doesn't do it right (for whatever reason) they shouldn't.

Look at what you are saying:

1) There is one way to build a good hockey team.

Yes, I am saying this

Tom_Benjamin said:
2) The handful of teams with the best management succeed because they adopt the best strategy and execute it perfectly. These teams are the ones that year in, year out, contend.

Yes, I am saying this... But not 'execute it perfectly'... They execute it 'as perfect as it needs to be to achieve success'... I allow margin for error, but as a whole, because of the great strategy (which isn't a secret) - the errors do not significantly **** up everything the GM and team has done to date... The GM and team is able to adapt without having to 'start from scratch'...

Tom_Benjamin said:
3) This is unfair. We have to make the system idiot proof so that teams with idiots managing also have a chance to win.

No, I am not saying this... What I am saying is that we have to make the system idiot-proof so that all the teams basically follow this 'cycle to success'... For example, the teams starting the cycle (i.e. young, cheap team) have no business being in the market for free agents (unless it is a young, cheap free agent)... This just disrupts the 'cycle to success' (i.e. IMO, the team actually takes a step back by not developing properly - it takes away playing time from the young, growing players, etc.)... By being in the market, in addition to disrupting the normal growth of the team, it also drives up the cost of free agents for the teams that are further along in the cycle - and should be in the market for free agents... The same with trades... For teams starting the cycle have NO BUSINESS being in the market for very good to great, older, established players (let alone, stars)... They are basically in the market for good to great, young players with potential... By being in the market for older, established players, the teams in the beginning of the cycle drive the market up for the teams that are at that point (in the cycle) ready to acquire the pieces to finish the puzzle...

The teams in the middle of the cycle (i.e. mediocre to pretty good team - with a core that grew together and on the right path to being a 'great to elite' team) have no business being in the market for super stud, high priced free agents... They should be in the market for good to very good (to great) FA's that help 'fill in the gaps'... Same with trades... The team in the middle of the cycle should be looking to acquire the reasonably-priced 'good to very good' (to great) players to help the team make it to the next level of the cycle... By being in the market for the 'super stud' high priced players, they are trying to skip steps - a bandaid solution... while raising the price of these players for the teams who should be in the market for them...

The teams at the end of the cycle (i.e. elite teams - with a core that grew together and have had success together) have the business for being in the market for super stud, high priced free agents (and super stud, expensive players through trades)... They are looking and ready for that player to put them 'over the top' (or perhaps to replace an existing 'core' player)...

For example, IMO, Anaheim has no business being in the market for Scott Niedermeyer (given where they are in the 'cycle to success')... To acquire him, IMO, is a bandaid solution that will NOT bring Anaheim long-term team success (i.e. that makes them elite and reap the rewards for being elite)... If Anaheim is in the market for him (and Scott doesn't sign with Anaheim), it just raises the asking price for those who should be in the market for him (i.e. Vancouver, Colorodo, Detroit, etc.)...

IMO, we have to make the system idiot-proof so that GM's don't cut corners... The formula for success is the same for every team (regardless of the money they have to spend)... GM's and teams looking to cut corners by acquiring (or trying to acquire) players they shouldn't (given where they are in the 'cycle to success') just inflates the market - unnecessarily and foolishly...

No way, IMO, should NY have been in the market for Jagr (even though they could afford him)... IMO, no way should Fedorov be in Anaheim... Those superstar players should be reserved for the 'elite team' market - those that are ready to make a serious push for the stanley cup, and are geared for long playoff success...

Cutting corners DOES NOT work, and it just inflates the market... The GM's and teams don't seem to understand this... Therefore, IMO, the NHL has to control each team's budget... Limit the budget to limit the options teams can employ to try and reach success (as there is really only one option anyways - the cycle - it's no secret)... Elite teams will generate much more money, and thus, will be able to afford 'cap penalties'... Teams in the beginning of the 'cycle' wont (therefore, only in the market for young players who are cheap, with potential)... Teams in the middle of the 'cycle' will think long and hard before deciding what players to be in the market for (i.e. they will focus on and be in the market for 'reasonably-priced players who are good/very good and established - to help them become successful, and elite)...

To summarize, at a basic level, the NHL teams (market) fall in the following categories (sub-markets):

- beginning of 'success cycle' (poor result teams)
- middle of 'success cycle' (middle result teams)
- end of 'success cycle' (elite teams)

The beginning of success cycle teams should mainly be in the market for young, cheap players with potential... so that the young 'core' grows together and helps the team reach the middle of the success cycle... while still being cost conscious...

The middle of success cycle teams should mainly be in the market for good to very good (to great), reasonably-priced established players (to augment the team core that grew up together)... to help them reach the elite level - while still being cost conscious...

The end of success cycle teams (elite teams) should mainly be in the market for superstar players (to replace certain 'core' players who have retired/left as free agents/have been traded... or to augment the team core with a 'special' players to help them reach the cup) - while still being cost conscious...

I support some sort of cap system that does not severely punish teams from signing/keeping their own players (i.e. players that have been 'home grown'), but makes teams think long and hard before acquiring other players 'on the market/on other teams'... I support a cap system that hinders (not eliminates, however) the beginning of success cycle teams (and middle of success cycle teams) from being in the market for 'superstars' - or expensive players that they really have no business acquiring or being in the market for (using the 'cycle to success' as the framework)...

By hindering what teams can spend, IMO, teams will less likely attempt to cut corners with high-priced bandaid solutions- which does NO ONE any good...

This 'cycle to success' is NOT A SECRET - everyone knows about it - some teams just choose to ignore it as it requires a lot of work, time, and patience... Even if all the teams followed this model, all the teams won't have success... The astute GM's (and teams) will only find long-term success...

The poor GM's (and teams) won't (poor trades, draft picks, personnel decisions, etc.)... Even if following the 'cycle to success' exactly, some (the majority) of teams will not move to elite levels...

Last edited:

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Big Cat Davo said:
The problem, I think, is that the stakes are too high. I do not want to see medicority rewarded with on ice success. If a GM makes bad moves and his team loses then fine. It happens. But if Naslund does not becaome what he is now, and Bertuzzi does not emerge, and Canucks lose their franchise would you still be preaching the same line?

Sure. I was preaching the line before they emerged. I was preaching it for all the smaller Canadian cities.

I've preached it ever since Pat Quinn laid it out as a blueprint when he and Brian Burke took over the team in 1987. I've watched basically the same management team follow the same blueprint twice and the result has been the two best versions of the Canucks ever. The first time the team fell short. The jury is still out on this one.

The idea that the Canucks would ever move is ridiculous. Teams don't move because they fail on a rebuild. Teams usually move for a new rink or the promise of a rink. They are much more likely to move an excellent team than a poor one.

If the Oilers moved it would be like moving Hartford to Carolina. Nothing really happens on the revenue side. But moving Quebec out of a bandbox rink into the Pepsi Centre in a place where hockey had already failed turned hundreds of millions of dollars for the league. Teams follow revenues.

Costs are irrelevant to the relocation issue. They are the same everywhere.

It is one thing to say of Naslund and Bert don't develope that the Canucks suck for 3 more years untill their next batch of prospects has the chance to become impact players, breaking even or taken minor losses.

I realize this. The Canucks spent a lot of the past decade competing directly against Colorado and Detroit, too. It was easy to see that to compete Vancouver had to get a lot better and it would take time because Colorado also had to come back to them. It would have been very easy to fall short. They still might. If they stop winning, revenues will rapidly fall. They have to go deep in the playoffs consistently to hold on to an elite team. All teams are trying to get that good and only a few can succeed.

We've got a changing of the guard happening - Detroit, Dallas, St. Louis and Colorado - are clearly in decline as once great cores crumble. Vancouver is a candidate to replace one of those teams, but they are not the only good young team in the West. Calgary, Nashville, and San Jose are damned good too.

I'll take my lumps as a fan if bad stuff and bad decisions by the Canucks puts the Canucks on the outside. If the Predators or the Sharks do better and leave Vancouver in the dust on the race to the top, fair ball. That happens. We can't all win that race. I've been a Canuck fan from the beginning. I'm used to taking lumps. Check the record. It's part of being a fan.

But in today's market it seems like an unsuccessful rebuild will cost a city, and more importanly, the fans, its franchise. And that is what has become unacceptable. Both Calgary and Edmonton were on the verge of losing their teams.

Where were these teams going to go where they would do better? A team that missed the playoffs for several straight years would not do better in Kansas City or Portland. They would still be lousy and they wouldn't have the established fan base. If Edmonton builds another great team, I'd worry a lot more about them than I would when they are lousy. Then, they'd be worth a lot more in a bigger place.

They'd be worth more under any CBA. If the team is worth more elsewhere, it's going to move. What difference does a CBA make? The costs will be the same no matter where the team is located. It is the revenue side that gets the boost on a relocation.

Tom

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
DementedReality said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=98932

"The Canucks have made a profit of $45 million the past two years..." said Nonis."

"Nonis said if the NHL season were to begin today the Canucks would have a payroll of around $49 million US"

So if Vancouver can do it, why cant other teams ?

DR

Calgary "Just Barely" made a profit. By your logic they should have made $50+ million.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
DementedReality said:
your point is well taken. if the market can not support the team, no amount of front office talent will save it.

so, is the problem with teams like CRL, ANA and NSH, the front office, the market or both ?

really, if its the market, then no CBA will help.

dr

This is an important point but your conclusion is incorrect.

Yes, the CBA can help. It can hinder. Or it can have not much effect. It definitly is an important factor that can determine the health of the weakest markets.

Want a 6-team league? Sign a CBA that is within the means of the six best markets.

Want a 24 team league? Sign a CBA that is within the means of the 24 best markets.

Want a 30-team league? Same thing.

Really, it's all about the weakest link, and how far the NHLPA and the owners are willing to go in a CBA.

The truth is, a CBA can fix so many things that we could, in theory, have a 40-team league.

Yes. Really. The NHL could easily achieve that. But obviously they would need to control costs so that the weakest link out of those 40 teams can support a NHL franchise.

This is precisely what this CBA is about as much for the union and for the players. The NHL claims it wants viability for its weakest link in the context of a competitive league.

It is very tricky and why I continually maintain that competitive leagues deserve a special status compared to other types of businesses.

The NHL can go several directions depending on what the CBA looks like.

1-It can sign a CBA that forces them to downsize because some of the weakest link can't live with it.

2-It can sign a CBA that should force them to downsize but maintain 30 teams, several of which will never gain much respectability. (this is the current scenario, and the one most likely to result from the next CBA as well because the owners are little girls)

3-It can sign a CBA where every 30 team is on equal field and healthy.

4-It can screw the players bad enough that they have enough room to support even weaker market than the weakest it currently has.

Theoretically, if costs were ridiculously low, the NHL would be viable in Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford, Halifax. Name it. It's really just numbers that you play around. It's just expenses and revenues.

If the elite players who reach free agency like Forsberg, Lemieux, Sakic, and Lidstrom topped at 200k per year, how many markets do you think the NHL could sustain?

The answer would probably be most impressive. The scenario is of course ludicrous but the point is, you find the magical numbers for the weakest link and yes, you solve the problem.

Because the money saved by the weakest link can be used to increase marketing in very agressive ways and put the price of tickets at very affordable prices.

A CBA is key for the weak market. Hockey culture can be developed in markets where interest is not optimal right now. But if the weakest markets can't be part of the NHL as equals, I see no point for them being there.

I'd rather see the NHL bend over to the players again but at least have the courage to cut down teams if they do so.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Russian Fan said:
Good stuff DR

Why is that ? GOOD MANAGEMENT !!

- Tough dealing contract with players
- Getting more revenues with pay per view games & strong marketing

They are getting reward for taking their responsabilities instead of waiting to getting reward for doing the same mistakes over & over.

Detroit can have good management spending $10 million on one player and still be profitable. Calgary can't do that. They have to pay much less and go to the Stanley Cup final to make a small profit.

Give it up guys. Small markets cannot CONSISTENTLY compete at the same level as a large market team. Bettman said that large market teams have been 3 times more likely to make the playoffs than small market teams.

Brent Burns Beard