honest ... if VAN can do it, why cant others ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
nuckfan in TO said:
this is impossible to say, but I think they would.

remember if Vancouver has to operate under a cap, so do other teams around the league... this would in itself reduce the $$ that players could ask for.

If the Canucks, for example, couldn't afford to re-sign Bertuzzi under the cap, then most teams wouldn't be able to either... again this is under a lot of assumptions, where a team like Nashville wouldn't be able to hit that $45mill cap in anyways (throwing a cap number, but in any cap system it's unlikely that every team is able to hit the cap)... and teams that can, might already be hardpressed to get their own players under their cap.

in the end, in a cap system, it's more likely that Bertuzzi isn't making over $7mill a season, thus making it possible for the canucks to still re-sign all their players under their cap.

well, I'm not having this discussion again, but I think its pretty fair to say there will be alot of teams with more cap room than your team every year, and it doesn't take much to get someone to leave. If Vancouver offers Bertuzzi $4 million, there's a pretty good chance someone has the cap room to offer him $6 million. And since salaries will be so mcuh lower, there will be alot more teams in the market for high profile FA's. If you need this idea expanded on any more, just check some of my old posts.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Tom_Benjamin said:
They'd get laughed out of court. Vancouver has done nothing that the NHLPA could possibly complain about. They have used the CBA to hold down player salaries before the player reached the age of free agency and dabbled very selectively in the free agent market.

The team used the same model every successful franchise used to become a big revenue team. They rebuilt the team from the ground up. They did a good job. They deserve their rewards. They can do it, but "Boo-hoo, Buffalo can't". They can do it, but "boo-hoo" Washington, Boston or Chicago can't?

What happened to "Boo-hoo, poor Vancouver will never be able to compete"?

Tom

What I mean is that if every team practices fiscal reponsibility, then the union will cry foul and sue. Proving there was no collusion is difficult. As far as whether they will win or not, there is a precedent against MLB.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
loveshack2 said:
My point is just what I said. Brian Burke deserves alot of credit for keeping the star players salaries under control and making the Canucks financially stable. He was one of the few smart GMs who used the CBA the way it was supposed to be used and Ive always had alot of respect for the way he did business. I mean Naslund at $5.5 million is just insane, in a good way. If every team in the league had a GM who handled player contracts the way Burke did then the current collective agreement might have had a chance of working. Too bad there is only one Brian Burke. Personally Im against a cap, but Im also against the old system. Im crossing my fingers that the two parties will be able to meet in the middle on some kind of soft cap or luxury tax system.

Problem here is Naslund. He should be making $8m+. Its only because he's a non-greedy person Burke was able to get him so cheap. That's a fluke not the norm in the NHL, for every Naslund there as 5 Yashins. A team can not bank on getting players to sign for less.

Bertuzzi's contract is actually much higher than it looks. The shifted $1-1.5/y for the life on the contract into a defacto signing bonus by upping his existing contract.

Lets have a closer look

they run about as tight a ship as they can

they have made no significant UFA signings, and their salary continues to blow out.

They have a hole on the 2nd line RW that you could drive a truck through. Can't afford to properly plug it.

It needs an upgrade on defense #3-#4 position.

Cloutier is still the goalie.

This wonderful team can't make it past the 1st round and when it does it gets rolled in the 2nd round. It won't be fixing the problems either.

================================

The other problem is how do yo find 30 Brian Burkes to run every franchise? You can't. The NHL has to be based so an average GM can succeed. The NHLPA has to allow GMs to rollback salaries in the next CBA and I see nothing to suggest that want that. The player initiated 5% rollback is designed to be a one off.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
loudi94 said:
What I mean is that if every team practices fiscal reponsibility, then the union will cry foul and sue. Proving there was no collusion is difficult. As far as whether they will win or not, there is a precedent against MLB.

I think MLB got caught red handed, though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I keep thinking the MLBPA got hold of a memo or something that the teams were passing around and that's what got baseball nailed to the wall.

If there's no paper trail or anything, I would think collusion would be difficult to prove and something the league wouldn't have a hard time defending itself against in court.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
loudi94 said:

Nonsense. There is absolutely nothing in the labour law or the CBA that prevents teams practicing fiscal responsibility. In fact, that is a defense against as collusion charge. In baseball, the owners agreed they would not sign each other's free agents. It was easy to prove. Tim Raines became a free agent when he was at the top of his game, and nobody offered him a job. Dozens of free agents hit the market and nobody got offered a job.

Tom

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Tom_Benjamin said:
Nonsense. There is absolutely nothing in the labour law or the CBA that prevents teams practicing fiscal responsibility. In fact, that is a defense against as collusion charge. In baseball, the owners agreed they would not sign each other's free agents. It was easy to prove. Tim Raines became a free agent when he was at the top of his game, and nobody offered him a job. Dozens of free agents hit the market and nobody got offered a job.

Tom

Right and under the current system if a player like maybe Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg or Jarome Iginla became UFA's and if no team decided to offer them more than 4 million, there would be a few eyebrows raised. Sure each team may have acted independently in setting their limits, but there would be legal problems, especially when teams with a history of overspending decide to back off.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
loveshack2 said:
Naslund is now 31 and Bertuzzi turns 30 this season, just coming up on their UFA years. I wonder how much longer the Canucks could have kept them under the old and now defunt collective agreement. Brian Burke deserves alot of credit for keeping their salaries under control during their RFA years.
Naslund took less because he liked the city. Bertuzzi was a bum for many years before breaking out and signing for 7 million.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
me2 said:
This wonderful team can't make it past the 1st round and when it does it gets rolled in the 2nd round. It won't be fixing the problems either.

What crap, all of it. Naslund and Bertuzzi did have contracts that underpaid them renegotiated, a tradeoff that got the Canucks both players over four years at favourable terms. One result is that it helped or will help all teams in arbitration hearings. I don't care whether you think the Canucks are good or not or what you think they should do to improve. That is beside the point.

The point is that the team made $25 million dollars last season without winning a playoff round. The point is that the team can afford a payroll of at least $50 million and that's being prudent. If they do start winning in the playoffs, they can afford a payroll that is much higher than $50 million.

The point is that Burke got to this stage without opening the wallet for free agents. He did it by dumping his salaries and stars for prospects ("Oh, boohoo," said Canuck fans who think like you. "The league is unfair because the fans - who aren't showing up at the rink - have to suffer while all the stars are traded. The Canucks can't afford them! They will never be able to compete with big spenders like Colorado and Detroit.").

The point is that they are competing with Colorado on the ice, and under the old CBA they could clearly afford to be elite. They can clearly spend with anyone. They made all that money because they are a big revenue team which means they can be a big payroll team. That's the point.

They illustrate perfectly the point I (and others) have made about competitive balance in the NHL. We want the rewards to go to the teams that draft and develop players well (check for the Canucks), make astute trades (check) and make prudent free agent signings (check). Doing that converted the Vancouver Canucks, a small market Canadian team struggling to survive into a big revenue contender.

The fans suffered to see this team built and now they are paying very large dollars to see them win. Jeepers. Time for a salary cap. The NHL is unfair. Vancouver can afford a $60 million payroll. If they actually win a Cup, I bet they could get enough money from the fans to spend $70 million if they want! Man, is that unfair.

The questions you have to answer are these:

How can you say the league is unfair under the old CBA if the Vancouver Canucks can become a financial powerhouse? If the pundits were wrong about Vancouver, what other markets are they wrong about? If Vancouver can do it, why can't Buffalo?

Tom

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
loudi94 said:
Right and under the current system if a player like maybe Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg or Jarome Iginla became UFA's and if no team decided to offer them more than 4 million, there would be a few eyebrows raised. Sure each team may have acted independently in setting their limits, but there would be legal problems, especially when teams with a history of overspending decide to back off.

Not an eyebrow would be raised. Nobody screamed collusion when the Rangers and Capitals backed off. All individual teams would have to do is explain why Joe Sakic wasn't worth $4 million to them. As long as free agents are being signed it is very hard to make a collusion case.

Plenty of eyebrows would be raised if nobody offered Jarome Iginla, UFA, anything. If dozens of like players hit the free agent market at the same time and none of them got any offer, the case is a slam dunk. That's what happened in baseball.

Tom

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
so where are all the nay sayers ?

how come VAN can make a profit of 45m in two years and other similar sized markets cant even contain their losses ?

dr

Optimist*

You have it backwards. Just like the players. The owners, are just that, owners.
Its the golden rule. The one who has the gold rules. They had an unbalanced agreement and now its gonna change. Its doesnt matter why Vancouver was able to make money. I could give you reasons why, but it doesnt matter. The players are up against a brick wall because there asking for something they will never get. The owners want to make money, just like the players do. Nothing unfair with that.
The system doesnt work, the league as a whole lost 1.8bb. The players will lose and if they dont negotiate in time, they'll lose the season as well. Remember the owners are used to losing money, time is on their side. They will wait forever, because their investments are worthless right now. They have no choice. You can bluff all you want, but when the other guy has a Royal Flush, the longer you stay in the pot, the more you lose. Take that to the bank.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
eticket said:
The players will lose and if they dont negotiate in time, they'll lose the season as well. Remember the owners are used to losing money, time is on their side. They will wait forever, because their investments are worthless right now. They have no choice. You can bluff all you want, but when the other guy has a Royal Flush, the longer you stay in the pot, the more you lose. Take that to the bank.

well, i think the players have already lost. they have already agreed to a luxury tax, they ahve already agreed to changes in rookie contracts, they have already agreed to negotiate changes to arbitration and qualifying offers.

they have already put a few hundred million dollars of concessions on the table. they ARE negotiating and they HAVE given up alot. the owners have given up NOTHING and are NOT negotiating.

the owners dont just want to win (because they already have), they want to blow it up.

dr

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
eticket said:
Its doesnt matter why Vancouver was able to make money. I could give you reasons why, but it doesnt matter.

It does matter. It is easy to explain. The fans are throwing money at the team. They are selling every ticket. Pay per view, broadcast revenues and sponsorships are way up. They are a big revenue, big payroll team rolling in the cash. In Vancouver! You did not answer the question.

I want an apologist for the owners, a small market fan who thinks the NHL is unfair to explain Vancouver. I want a fan who believes a salary cap is necessary to allow everyone to compete and make money to explain Vancouver.

Hands up everyone who can remember when Toronto was the only Canadian team that could compete? The only Canadian team sure to survive?

Remember the owners are used to losing money, time is on their side. They will wait forever, because their investments are worthless right now.

Worthless? McCaw just sold the Vancouver Canucks. He turned $60 million into $250 million over the life of the old CBA. Man, that NHL hockey sure is a lousy business when you do it right, isn't it?

Tom

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
DementedReality said:
so where are all the nay sayers ?

how come VAN can make a profit of 45m in two years and other similar sized markets cant even contain their losses ?

dr

Probably because this looks like bait, like you're looking for a fight. Then both sides proceed to re-hash the same old arguments and we end up back in the same place we started. Not really an attractive prospect.

I can think of many reasons why, but I won't go there. I'll just let your imagination run wild as to what I could be refering to.

Brent Burns Beard