Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Ozymandias, Percy Shelley​
Flames lineup changes: Rittich in net. Nothing else known regarding lineup changes as of yet.

Canucks: No Baertschi. Markstrom starting perhaps.

Go Flame! Win Gaem!

Fun Fact #1: we won't play the Canucks again this season - not until the ploffs.

Fun Fact #2: Hometown Hockey is in Airdrie today, stuff begins at noon.

Reactions: Sk8M8

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
This team has no finish. Its not bad luck its been like that since the start of the month. Dont want to hit posts? Shoot better. You are in the NHL ffs. This is your job.

Glad I have plans. Im so sick of spending my money and nights watching this team constantly shit the bed.

GG needs to go and Treliving built a fundamentally flawed team that will never succeed. At least the rebuild thats about to come in a couple years can be timed with the team relocating.

f*** You Flames.

[/rant]

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, seeing as I missed most of last night's game, to summarize:

Flames fans: "doesn't matter if we are playing well, all that matters is results!"

Also Flames fans: "doesn't matter that the PP worked with Versteeg on it, all that matters is how bad he looked!"

The 1st PP unit pretty clearly isn't as effective without a right shot. Something needs to be done about it. Gulutzan has now at least expressed his frustration about the powerplay hurting the team. By his pattern, he will make changes in a few more games.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Offense has been cold. It is time to call up Mangiapane and shake up the lines:

Mangiapane-Monahan-Brouwer
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Jagr
Frolik-Backlund-Hathaway

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Flames will win this game to keep up the pattern of inconsistency and so the coaching staff can continue to lie to the fans that we’re on the right track.

“Yeah, we needed this one tonight after the BAD LUCK we have been dealt lately. Nice to see the results come after sticking to the system and see some guys get rewarded”. Flames will then proceed to win the next game as well, then lose the following 2. Par for the course.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Flames will win this game to keep up the pattern of inconsistency and so the coaching staff can continue to lie to the fans that we’re on the right track.
Objectively speaking, it's hard to disagree that the Flames are on the right track, though, isn't it? If I was the coach, I'd be saying the exact same thing as Gulutzan, because all a coach can really ask is that the team generates more scoring chances than the opposition every game, and the Flames have done that for what, 6 straight games now? At least?

If the Flames win tonight, it means they'll have broke out of the funk and buried some chances, so yeah, I'll be very happy if that happens. Especially if they do it two games in a row.

Of course, the big thing that he and his staff are responsible for fixing right now is the PP.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Objectively speaking, it's hard to disagree that the Flames are on the right track, though, isn't it? If I was the coach, I'd be saying the exact same thing as Gulutzan, because all a coach can really ask is that the team generates more scoring chances than the opposition every game, and the Flames have done that for what, 6 straight games now? At least?

If the Flames win tonight, it means they'll have broke out of the funk and buried some chances, so yeah, I'll be very happy if that happens. Especially if they do it two games in a row.

Of course, the big thing that he and his staff are responsible for fixing right now is the PP.

I just think we’re continually being fed the same thing over and over. I don’t have much hope for this season until I see consistency over a long stretch of games and we haven’t seen it. I’m not optimistic because I don’t like how certain aspects get forced onto the group. But like I said I expect we play good for a couple of games and then will revert to lapses in play for the following few.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
If we could win that'd be great... if we lose can it be like 100 - 0 maybe that embarrassment will light a fire under this team.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
We're going to win out before Xmas against Van, StL and Mtl and will be sitting tied for the 2nd wild card at 41 points at the break.

Reactions: Anglesmith

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I just think we’re continually being fed the same thing over and over. I don’t have much hope for this season until I see consistency over a long stretch of games and we haven’t seen it. I’m not optimistic because I don’t like how certain aspects get forced onto the group. But like I said I expect we play good for a couple of games and then will revert to lapses in play for the following few.

I get that, but that doesn't mean he's lying, does it? Regardless of your thoughts on the system, the system is generating more quality scoring chances for the Flames than for their opposition, night in and night out. And that part is pretty consistent right now. We haven't had an actual bad game since... the Edmonton game? Every game since then has been a 'good game' in terms of the way the team is playing. The only difference between wins and losses for the team is a bizarre inability to finish. The parts of last night's game that I got to watch were just exemplary. Nashville didn't really have a sniff at a goal other than on their powerplays, and meanwhile, Gio hits the bar on a 3-on-1, Monahan flubs a point-blank chance from the low slot with no one around him, Brodie hits the crossbar, we fail to locate several dangerous rebounds around the crease, and we get no goals despite badly outplaying a very good hockey team.

The thing I worry about when people want change for the sake of change is that right now, the team has improved structurally and are outplaying the opposition every night, and are losing a lot. The change that could be a result of panicking would be that we no longer outplay the opposition every night, and still lose a lot by a lot more. The concern for Gulutzan is that he believes in the system, he got hired specifically to implement this system, and so the last thing he wants to do is undermine that system by indicating that this system can't succeed, and something else needs to be attempted. To be honest, if that's the case, and this system is for some reason linked to the Flames having no finish, there's no reason not to just fire the coach and move on to something fresh.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Flames are a good team. They can’t possibly be as unlucky as they have of late. They are consistently the better team. The tide will turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->