Hometown fans boo the ref who gives them a powerplay

Artyukhin*

i guess there fed up with 5-4 hockey for 50 mins a night .

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/548905.html

"It’s something I have addressed at a league level and I think there is a pretty good consensus that maybe the Quebec junior league isn’t ready for the new NHL rules to the extent the NHL is. And to tell you the truth, I’m not that big a fan of them at the NHL level. I think the pendulum has swung too far back.

"If you look at that Gatineau game from a couple of weeks ago when there were five penalties in a minute and 19 seconds; the fifth one gave our team a power play and the fans booed. I think that gives you a pretty good indication of what the fans think of the strict application of the new NHL rules to junior hockey. That’s the first time I’ve seen that in 40 years."

Last edited by a moderator:

BCCHL inactive

Boo ****ing Hoo.

Referees at elite junior levels need to be trained to call the game the way they do at the pro level. Referees in minor hockey need to be trained to call the game the way they do at the junior level. It's a chain reaction, which is why Hockey Canada now expects minor hockey to be called to this standard.

Nobody said this process was going to be easy. Some games will be done well, some will be undercalled and some will be overcalled. It's called growing pains.

If the fans don't like the new standard, they don't like playing by the rules.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I'm confused as to why it's in this fourm... anyways if people don't like it complain to the players about not knowing the rules.

Last edited:

A Good Flying Bird*

Boo ****ing Hoo.

Referees at elite junior levels need to be trained to call the game the way they do at the pro level. Referees in minor hockey need to be trained to call the game the way they do at the junior level. It's a chain reaction, which is why Hockey Canada now expects minor hockey to be called to this standard.

Nobody said this process was going to be easy. Some games will be done well, some will be undercalled and some will be overcalled. It's called growing pains.

If the fans don't like the new standard, they don't like playing by the rules.

Man, who do those stupid fans think they are? Pfft. They should just pay their money and shut the ***** up.

BCCHL inactive

Man, who do those stupid fans think they are? Pfft. They should just pay their money and shut the ***** up.

When they boo a new standard that is meant to teach players to play by the rules, as written, yes, they should shutup. This is as much of a learning experience for the officials as it is for the players. I'm getting my first taste of calling the new standard this week as my job is finally allowing me to hit the ice.

This goes tenfold for parents at minor hockey games. I think when somebody registers their kid(s) for minor hockey (from tykes to Midget AAA), a rulebook should be given to the parent(s) as part of the package. If anything, it would send the message that as of now, parental behaviour in minor hockey rinks is out of control.

Schitzo

Jul 29, 2006
Unfortunately, I don't see how calling other levels of hockey at an easier level will benefit anyone - all that means is every draft year we have a group of kids who aren't prepared to play the game the way it's called at the NHL level. If it takes a year or two to teach them as teenagers, it makes everyone's lives easier later on in the process.

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
When they boo a new standard that is meant to teach players to play by the rules, as written, yes, they should shutup. This is as much of a learning experience for the officials as it is for the players. I'm getting my first taste of calling the new standard this week as my job is finally allowing me to hit the ice.

This goes tenfold for parents at minor hockey games. I think when somebody registers their kid(s) for minor hockey (from tykes to Midget AAA), a rulebook should be given to the parent(s) as part of the package. If anything, it would send the message that as of now, parental behaviour in minor hockey rinks is out of control.

The fans are just showing what they think of the new rules, its pretty much the only way we can, Im glad they did this, because they went TOO far with the penaties, 1st it wasnt enforced enough, now too much, gotta be in that middle area, then it will be perfect. But if we had the choice to choose between the two, Id rather go with not enough, games are alot more exciting 5 on 5 than exchanging power plays.

BCCHL inactive

The fans are just showing what they think of the new rules, its pretty much the only way we can, Im glad they did this, because they went TOO far with the penaties, 1st it wasnt enforced enough, now too much, gotta be in that middle area, then it will be perfect. But if we had the choice to choose between the two, Id rather go with not enough, games are alot more exciting 5 on 5 than exchanging power plays.

You're expecting the officials to get it right as soon as they start enforcing the new standard. That's just unrealistic. Such a change in the way the game is officiated takes time for players, coaches and officials to adapt. I'm not talking a few shifts during the first game, I'm talking a few years. Fans need to be patient. That said, if the players and coaches won't adapt, the penalties will continue.

As I mentioned, I'm getting my first taste of calling the new standard this week. I am not going to get it just right the first time. Referees work on their games too. The only difference for us is that our "practices" are games.

#1rezniy

Nov 3, 2006
I wouldnt call allowing refs to pick and choose what calls they should make perfect. But to each his own I suppose.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The attitude some hockey fans have toward the calling of penalties is quite odd and quite unique amongst pro sports when you think about it. In football, defensive backs aren't allowed to mug receivers in the fourth quarter and get away with it. In baseball, umpires don't change the strike zone in the eighth & ninth innings. In basketball, goaltending isn't permitted in the dying seconds. In soccer, a defender can't play the ball with his hands in the eighty-ninth minute. The fans wouldn't accept any of this behaviour if it happened.

Yet in hockey you find fans who expect the referees to look the other way when the rules are broken, especially in the late stages of a game, and complain when they don't.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
IS this a joke? nobody likes to go on a penalty kill.

It just takes a the hooking to get a little used to.

#1rezniy

Nov 3, 2006
The attitude some hockey fans have toward the calling of penalties is quite odd and quite unique amongst pro sports when you think about it. In football, defensive backs aren't allowed to mug receivers in the fourth quarter and get away with it. In baseball, umpires don't change the strike zone in the eighth & ninth innings. In basketball, goaltending isn't permitted in the dying seconds. In soccer, a defender can't play the ball with his hands in the eighty-ninth minute. The fans wouldn't accept any of this behaviour if it happened.

Yet in hockey you find fans who expect the referees to look the other way when the rules are broken, especially in the late stages of a game, and complain when they don't.
I wish I could have put it that well.

Ive never figured out why people say they dont want refs deciding games by calling penalties when, in reality, the refs are deciding games by not calling penalties.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Maybe they should boo the players making the dumb penalties instead?

If it was a penalty, then it should have been called. Inconsistency is the major problem of officiating these days, not "letting things slide". A referee should NEVER "let something slide" just because there's been alot of penalties.

If it's a penalty, it should be called. End of discussion.

The people who think referees should let things slide are the whole reason officiating is so inconsistent and a joke in this sport.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
First, I apologize I didn't see this thread earlier.

Secondly, I was at the game in question, so I'll try to give my own take on the situation. I don't have any experience as an on-ice official. I have a layman's knowledge of the rulebook and I've never played hockey at a high-level. That being said, I am fortunate enough to have press credientials for the Mooseheads this season and have watched the majority of their home games to date. I also have watched enough hockey to have that general idea of 'oh, that looks like a penalty' or 'oh, that looks fine.' I'm not saying that I am in the best position to talk about what merits a call and what does not, but I feel I am in a good position to discuss this particular situation.

From where I was sitting, the fans weren't upset just because of the number of penalties called (but hey, no one wants to see the game interupted halfway through every play because of an infraction, but that all goes back to what Van is saying). I would say the main reason why the fans booed was the standard in which the game was being enforced. Which is to say, there was none.

There were numerous missed calls, (which I can understand, every game has a few, the officials can't see everything all the time). There was also an inconsistent quality to the calls (which again, goes back to the officials not being able to see everything all the time). In all, what looked like a penalty, sometimes wasn't a penalty and what looked like a regular play, sometimes garnered a whistle.

Basically, what it boils down to is the officiating in that particular game was in no way consistent with what I had seen in the rest of the games I have viewed this season (both before and after this particular game took place). Plays that I felt were penalties, based on what I had witnessed earlier in the year, were not called, plays that I felt were innocuous, again based on what I had witnessed earlier in the year, were called.

I understand that it is very difficult for officials to call everything word for word from the rulebook because, after all they are only human. But one would think that after 30 or so odd games under this new standard, a familiarity of sorts would begin to emerge. I only venture with that guess based on the fact that in other games that I have viewed, I have not had a problem with the way the game was handled. It is obvious that the fans, the players and the coaching staff have grown accustomed to a particular way that the game is officiated and it was just as obvious that night that the officiating was not anywhere close to being in line with the familiar style. The players on both sides were visibly confused, the coaching staff on both sides were visibly frustrated and the fans voiced their own opinion.

I defer to Van when it comes to most issues with refereeing and officiating the game, due to his personal knowledge of the job. However, in my viewing of the game, I must come to the conclusion that M. Arsenault (he has many less delicate nicknames that I have heard before and since, but that's a different story) had a particularly challenging night as an official.

If this is a problem with the training of the officials, then so be it. That is something that should be addressed somehow. But it is not fair for fans, the players, the coaching staff nor the officials themselves if the game is called differently each time the teams step on the ice.

BCCHL inactive

The Canadian Major Junior leagues do a pretty good job of training their officials. That said, while the programs may be good, there are only so many officials available to these leagues.

Being heavily involved with my local minor hockey association's officiating program (I schedule officials for all rep hockey here), out of just over 100 officials, 70-80 are first-year zebras, with the majority being under 16 years of age. We do our absolute best to evaluate and coach these officials. However, when I am backed into a situation where I need a 15 year-old to ref a Midget Rep game, there is only so much that can be done to prepare him for it.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a domino effect going up to the junior leagues. Officiating is not something a lot of young people desire to do seriously. In minor hockey, I will point the finger directly at abuse from players and coaches, and local associations not dealing with it harsh enough. The majority of 12 year-olds officiating in their first eligible year, are gone by the time they're 16.

When minor hockey's numbers are down, there are less prospects for junior leagues.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
M. Arsenault is a man in his mid-30s who has been a referee with the QMJHL since 2002. He is far from a first year official. I stand by my assertion that criticism of the referee in this particular situation is warranted.

BCCHL inactive

What I meant by "first year official" is first year, period.

Any referee in major junior has been officiating for a lot longer than their time in said league. It takes years of training just to get to junior hockey.

My point was if there are few people interested in officiating minor hockey, there will be even fewer who will ever be available for junior leagues to find and develop.

If an official really isn't doing well, the league may not be able to drop him because there is nobody else to fill his spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->