Home Hardware CHL Top Prospects Rosters Announced Today.....

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
This is one of the so-called exhibition games that's worthwhile taking in.
The skills competition for me is also a can't miss just for the fun!

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
TEAM CHERRY
GOALTENDERS -- Christopher Gibson, Chicoutimi (QMJHL), David Honzik, Victoriaville (QMJHL).

DEFENSEMEN -- Myles Bell, Regina (WHL), Scott Harrington, London (OHL), Joe Morrow, Portland (WHL), Ryan Murphy, Kitchener (OHL), Duncan Siemens, Saskatoon (WHL), Tyler Wotherspoon, Portland (WHL).

FORWARDS -- Sean Couturier, Drummondville (QMJHL), Phillip Danault, Victoriaville (QMJHL), Nicklas Jensen, Oshawa (OHL), Tomas Jurco, Saint John (QMJHL), Gabriel Landeskog, Kitchener (OHL), Mark McNeill, Prince Albert (WHL), Matthew Puempel, Peterborough (OHL), Rickard Rakell, Plymouth (OHL), Ty Rattie, Portland (WHL), Tobias Rieder, Kitchener (OHL), Mark Scheifele, Barrie (OHL), Ryan Strome, Niagara (OHL).

TEAM ORR
GOALTENDERS -- Jordan Binnington, Owen Sound (OHL), Liam Liston, Brandon (WHL).

DEFENSEMEN -- Nathan Beaulieu, Saint John (QMJHL), Dougie Hamilton, Niagara (OHL), David Musil, Vancouver (WHL), Xavier Ouellet, Montreal (QMJHL), Stuart Percy, Mississauga St. Michael's (OHL), Reece Scarlett, Swift Current (WHL).

FORWARDS -- Sven Bartschi, Portland (WHL), Daniel Catenacci, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL), Jonathan Huberdeau, Saint John (QMJHL), Colin Jacobs, Seattle (WHL), Boone Jenner, Oshawa (OHL), Lucas Lessio, Oshawa (OHL), Shane McColgan, Kelowna (WHL), Vladislav Namestnikov, London (OHL), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer (WHL), Zack Phillips, Saint John (QMJHL), Brandon Saad, Saginaw (OHL), Vincent Trocheck, Saginaw (OHL).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=547077

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Don't Huberdeau, Phillips and Jurco all play on the same line in Saint John? It'll be weird for Jurco not to be with them

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Keep in mind the following:

- this is not the top players
- it is only players from the CHL
- the team is constructed in most part by who the 30 NHL GM's have requested to see/ be there
- in some cases....perhaps Prince etc. maybe he has been seen alot....GM's have already made an opinion on him etc.......would rather view a player they have not seen much of or have not yet formed an opinion etc.
- agents have a huge role in the selection process as well....ie a name agent lets it be known to GM's that they want certain players/clients involved etc.
- Bobby Orr is a player agent......having said this his ethics are a 10 out of 10

This is a good venue for those selected but not the be all and end all for those not.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I can't believe Khokolchev and Prince don't make it. That is grand larceny. I'm particularly surprised that Khokolchev didn't get an invite while Namestnikov did. The former seems like the much better prospect to me.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I can't believe Khokolchev and Prince don't make it. That is grand larceny. I'm particularly surprised that Khokolchev didn't get an invite while Namestnikov did. The former seems like the much better prospect to me.

Doing some quick addition but the OHL presently has 18 out of the 40 players. Perhaps they tried to keep a semblance of balance between the 3 leagues?

Has there ever been a league with 50% of the prospects.

Nice to see Cherry coaching Landeskog.
I betcha Cherry may be changing his mind about Swedes!

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Definitely surprised about The Khok. I'm mean, I guess I'm not really that surprised (even if I'm got him at 6th in the OHL right now), because he wasn't ranked high by the CSS on the preliminary release, nor does he have the size that they tend to look for. But I do think he deserves to be there, as I agree that he's the better prospect in comparison with Namestnikov.

RE: Prince. I'm not surprised and that means people will likely be up in arms about his ranking on NHL CS's midseason list come January 10. A lack of invite from this event generally means that they don't think too highly of him (doesn't mean an NHL team doesn't). While I don't have him highly ranked and have spoke at verbatim on this site as to my reasons why, you have to feel for the kid. This is a great event to show your stuff and considering that he's been consistently good all year, he probably feels rather cheated. It would have been a good venue for him to try and show people like myself, that he deserves to be a high selection.

I think I'm actually most surprised by the absence of Stefan Noesen. Hard working forward with good size who's been dynamite offensively all season for Plymouth. He's a better prospect than Barrie's Mark Scheifele IMO.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Definitely surprised about The Khok. I'm mean, I guess I'm not really that surprised (even if I'm got him at 6th in the OHL right now), because he wasn't ranked high by the CSS on the preliminary release, nor does he have the size that they tend to look for. But I do think he deserves to be there, as I agree that he's the better prospect in comparison with Namestnikov.

RE: Prince. I'm not surprised and that means people will likely be up in arms about his ranking on NHL CS's midseason list come January 10. A lack of invite from this event generally means that they don't think too highly of him (doesn't mean an NHL team doesn't). While I don't have him highly ranked and have spoke at verbatim on this site as to my reasons why, you have to feel for the kid. This is a great event to show your stuff and considering that he's been consistently good all year, he probably feels rather cheated. It would have been a good venue for him to try and show people like myself, that he deserves to be a high selection.

Prince has started to get some love from ISS and Woodlief lately which is the main reason im surprised. It seemed as if more people had been taking notice.

I still think if he keeps up this pace he has a shot of going late 1st, early 2nd.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Keep in mind the following:

- this is not the top players
- it is only players from the CHL
- the team is constructed in most part by who the 30 NHL GM's have requested to see/ be there
- in some cases....perhaps Prince etc. maybe he has been seen alot....GM's have already made an opinion on him etc.......would rather view a player they have not seen much of or have not yet formed an opinion etc.
- agents have a huge role in the selection process as well....ie a name agent lets it be known to GM's that they want certain players/clients involved etc.
- Bobby Orr is a player agent......having said this his ethics are a 10 out of 10

This is a good venue for those selected but not the be all and end all for those not.

While it's not the be all and end all, it's certainly a very important event for these kids. While it can be said a poor performance at the event likely won't impact your draft status, it's an opportunity for some of the less heralded players to take the limelight and make an impression for the first two rounds of the draft.

But also keep in mind that some of these guys will get injured and have to miss the event. It happens every year. That means injury replacements. Who's number 41, or 42? A guy like Prince or Khokhlachev?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Prince has started to get some love from ISS and Woodlief lately which is the main reason im surprised. It seemed as if more people had been taking notice.

100% Prince seems to be getting more love lately from the independent scouting agencies.

That being said, CSS picks the rosters for this game and they had him at 18th of OHL players available in their preliminary rankings. Prince may not be vastly undersized, but he is slightly undersized, and CSS has not been kind to undersized forwards in the past (look at Jeff Skinner's final ranking last year as evidence of that).

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
EJ was on local radio here the other day and was asked how it worked......

Basically Central Scouting sends out a list of players for guidance.
NHL GM's return back who they want to see in this game.....the players may or may not be on the original list.
Central Scouting tabulates the results and the roster is born.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
EJ was on local radio here the other day and was asked how it worked......

Basically Central Scouting sends out a list of players for guidance.
NHL GM's return back who they want to see in this game.....the players may or may not be on the original list.
Central Scouting tabulates the results and the roster is born.

OK, that's exactly how I thought it worked. So E.J. and crew definitely have some influence on who is seen in the game as they send out the recommendation (or whatever you want to call it) list first. Obviously General Managers are going to have their own opinions based off what their scouting staffs are saying, but basic psychology tells you that CSS has some (at least minor) influence on who appears.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad