HOLY! An ESPN Article about the WJHC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
That was actually a very indepth article, although there were a few mistakes in it, that should have been corrected before being put out, it was well put together, and explained what was going on.

:handclap:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
they said crosby was the only non-draftee invited to the canada camp...i guess they forgot about syvret. oh well...pretty informative considering it was espn.

Vic Rattlehead*

Wow, I'm surprised that ESPN projected that the U.S. to get no medals.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
neelynugs said:
they said crosby was the only non-draftee invited to the canada camp...i guess they forgot about syvret. oh well...pretty informative considering it was espn.

they probably meant that crosby is the only guy who hasn't been draft eligible yet...syvret wasn't drafted but he could have been.

Tume

Dec 23, 2003
Finland
I'm a bit suprised of the fact that Finland is so high in this prediction (and in many others too...). Finland's team is very young this year and I don't expect any kind of medal from them. Of course I hope them to play good hockey but my prediction is that they finish somewhere between 5th and 8th place.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Tume said:
I'm a bit suprised of the fact that Finland is so high in this prediction (and in many others too...). Finland's team is very young this year and I don't expect any kind of medal from them. Of course I hope them to play good hockey but my prediction is that they finish somewhere between 5th and 8th place.

7th is a good bet.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Tume said:

Comeon, no love from the natives? :D Now is the time for some homerism guys!

Whether it is this year or not, next year should be a great year for the fins in WJC. Laakso, Joensuu, Korhonen, Korpikoski, Nokelainen, Tukonen, Rask all with this years experience of WJC might be dangerous for other nations to handle next year. I wont be surprised if Finland manages to place in this tourney this year. We'll have to wait and see.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
This is going to sound evil, but I mean this kindly..The Finn's really know how to lose. [And I'm not implying they can't or won't win the Gold, either...it's just a general comment].

It's something important that a lot of teams don't put too much effort into learning. Sportsmanship. But, there's a "good" way to lose. And the Finn's have that kind of class. I appreciate the fact that they can be happy with a medal, of any color. It says something really good about the character of their teams, in a general sort of way.

They are everything Svetlana Khorkina could never be. :lol [..and yeah, I know she's Russian...but it just seemed to fit].

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
it's filled up with lots of bullS and shows that ESPN doesn't know much about this tournament

like Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar ... I mean what? There was no hit
and Kudobin? what the hell are they saying about him?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
MePutPuckInNet said:
This is going to sound evil, but I mean this kindly..The Finn's really know how to lose. [And I'm not implying they can't or won't win the Gold, either...it's just a general comment].

It's something important that a lot of teams don't put too much effort into learning. Sportsmanship. But, there's a "good" way to lose. And the Finn's have that kind of class. I appreciate the fact that they can be happy with a medal, of any color. It says something really good about the character of their teams, in a general sort of way.

They are everything Svetlana Khorkina could never be. :lol [..and yeah, I know she's Russian...but it just seemed to fit].

As a finn I agree with you except that I don't think it's a good characteristic to have in any sports.

The most succesfull Formula 1 boss Ron Dennis of McLaren said it the best:

"show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"

We need more of the 'bad loser' attitude which would help us to win more. Not too much more though, it can result unnecessary injuries to both teams.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
MePutPuckInNet said:

or they are everything that those canadian figure skaters could never be.

Some canadian fans will never miss an opportunity to make some nasty comment regarding Russia, thats becoming annoying. First look at the mirror and then write something like that.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Slay said:

Some canadian fans will never miss an opportunity to make some nasty comment regarding Russia, thats becoming annoying. First look at the mirror and then write something like that.
+1

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Slay said:

ROFL....Some humans will never miss an opportunity to read some type of ethnic slur into every comment they see, regardless of the actual point of a post on a message board....that's extremely annoying, too.

So, let me clarify, before you get all wound up in something that you only thought you understood - my reference to Svetlana Khorkina had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that she's Russian. It was entirely about her little tirade when the Russian gymnastics team won the silver medal at the Olympics a few years ago - in which, the diva that she is, yanked off her silver medal because she believed she deserved Gold, and didn't want to suffer the indignity that she somehow felt came along with the color of a medal of a lesser metal.

Honestly, how you can imagine it was some kind of cruel comment regarding "Russians" is beyond me. It was a comment regarding one specific individual. Perhaps there are other examples of other athletes from other countries, including Canada, I don't know. But, that was the example that most clearly popped into my little brain.

Relax, my friend. Unless of course, your name is Svetlana Khorkina..then I might understand why you'd be a little testy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->