Value of: Holtby to Colorado

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
I for one would give up our first for Holtby in a heartbeat, as for Varly what would our return be?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I for one would give up our first for Holtby in a heartbeat, as for Varly what would our return be?

It's difficult to peg honestly. How much value does a oft injured starter have with one year left? Maybe to some team who loses their starter early in the year, or at the TDL.. Maybe a team who has a younger goalie transitioning, and does not want a long term #1?

I think you'd have to give him away for whatever the best offer is. Probably a 2nd round pick in the best of situations.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It's difficult to peg honestly. How much value does a oft injured starter have with one year left? Maybe to some team who loses their starter early in the year, or at the TDL.. Maybe a team who has a younger goalie transitioning, and does not want a long term #1?

I think you'd have to give him away for whatever the best offer is. Probably a 2nd round pick in the best of situations.

exactly Washington for all their bluster isnt carrying Holtby Grubauer and Samsonov forever. they can deny it till they are blue in the face. eventually they will let one go for less than they are willing to admit to

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
exactly Washington for all their bluster isnt carrying Holtby Grubauer and Samsonov forever. they can deny it till they are blue in the face. eventually they will let one go for less than they are willing to admit to

I was talking about Varly? All of Washington's goalies have enough value to get them a 1st round pick. It's the additions that are in question.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I was talking about Varly? All of Washington's goalies have enough value to get them a 1st round pick. It's the additions that are in question.

well varly is problematical because he has 1 year remaining at 5.9M which leaves you with 2 questions:

how satisfied are you with bernier or hammond as a replacement
and do you wish to pay Varly a raise he'll likely want as a replacement

I myself wouldnt like either of those options and I suspect that Sakic agrees hence his interest in Sorokin in the early duchene talks

I think he saw Sorokin as a solution long term but unfortunately for him Garth Snow feels the same about Sorokin and reports are now that the Isles new owners are now willing to give him an NHL contract once he can buy his release from the KHL

this is especially so since the NHL has clarified that no KHL player can be a free agent without first signing a standard player contract, since there is no transfer agreement with the KHL. so as far as the NHL is concerned he is Islander restricted forever unless he signs an NHL deal with them first or they trade or release his rights

I expect Sakic will just keep varly

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If you can get Holtby for the 16th overall and no major additions, you don’t think twice about it.

HIGHLY unlikely that’s all he goes for.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
id rather keep halak than pay anything for Varlamov

only way id take varlamov is straight up for Greiss and I see no reason for colorado to do that

we're better off doing what the caps are, bringing in Sorokin like they are Samsonov

no need to take anybodys unwanted players unless they pay us to take them

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Schneider returned top-10 pick and he had zero Vezina nominations. Holtby has won that and has finished second once.

That pick is not nearly enough. I would trade Grubauer's rights for that though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Schneider returned top-10 pick and he had zero Vezina nominations. Holtby has won that and has finished second once.

That pick is not nearly enough. I would trade Grubauer's rights for that though.

Caps aren't using Holtby in the playoffs because he had a weak season, he's older than Schneider was at the time of the trade and he's being paid $6.1M/year for another two years.

If Caps consider Holtby their starter going forward, he obviously won't be traded. If they have decided to move on, he's not as valuable as Schneider was.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Caps aren't using Holtby in the playoffs because he had a weak season, he's older than Schneider was at the time of the trade and he's being paid $6.1M/year for another two years.

If Caps consider Holtby their starter going forward, he obviously won't be traded. If they have decided to move on, he's not as valuable as Schneider was.
There is nothing at all to suggest this is correct. Just look at the Value Of: Holtby to....... threads on the Main Boards. Multiple teams are looking to move on and upgrade their goaltending. If the Caps decide to trade Holtby or Grubauer they can just let the league know one of them is going on the block and they'll take the best offer. They'll easily get a return very close to if not better than Schneider, likely for either G. Holtby is far more proven than Schneider was and the Cap has gone up since that time, if anything Holtby's salary right now is fantastic for a Vezina-winning goalie moving forward. For all the banter about Holtby's down year the Caps were one of the 5 worst teams in the league in shot differential, both goalies were under fire and guess what for Holtby's less than stellar boxcars he was still 34-16-4. He's also less than 3 full seasons removed from a Vezina win and 4th place in Hart Trophy voting. Hell, when the Caps traded Varlamov they weren't in the best position because a goaltending controversy was brewing and they got value comparable to Schneider for him. At this point any team that wants a Caps goalie is going to pay substantially for them, a 1st is the starting point and for Holtby a Top-10 pick (7-10) is probably close to his value.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Multiple Caps fans and even fans of other teams

have told you you're wrong about this, maybe it's time for you to move on?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Caps fans are demanding overpayment for a goalie they don't feel comfortable starting in the playoffs?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd rather target Samsonov than Holtby, and he'd probably be cheaper.

I doubt either are moved though, more likely Grubauer is gone and they roll with Holtby-Samsonov going forward.

Not a chance Samsonov is moved. Either Grubauer or Holtby will be moved. Logic says Grubauer but it wouldn't shock me if it's Holtby.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
I don't know how much of an upgrade Holtby would be. He is a really good goalie, but IMO he's not a game breaker (at least not in the last couple of years). I also wouldn't be shocked in Holtby is moved. Likely to Philly since we don't have an NHL caliber goalie. I'd be ok with it, but I am not a huge fan of Holtby overall. v

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Caps fans are demanding overpayment for a goalie they don't feel comfortable starting in the playoffs?
We're not demanding an overpayment. I don't think a single Caps poster has started a thread about Holtby or Grubauer to any other team. Rather, we're suggesting that the Caps aren't going to GIVE Holtby or Grubauer away for less than their value which is established by numerous similar such trades in the very recent past. Here to help.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don't know how much of an upgrade Holtby would be. He is a really good goalie, but IMO he's not a game breaker (at least not in the last couple of years). I also wouldn't be shocked in Holtby is moved. Likely to Philly since we don't have an NHL caliber goalie. I'd be ok with it, but I am not a huge fan of Holtby overall. v
Yeah he was just 4th in Hart Trophy voting and won a Vezina 3 seasons ago and was 2nd in Vezina voting 2 seasons ago but whatev.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

In fairness, I remember a lot of scouts and articles questioning how deep the draft was after the first few picks and not looked at to be the same. However, that top 9 ended up being damn good looking at back at it. Even if 5-9 changed orders, I don't see any of them being traded 1-1 for Schneider. I think the draft was better than some expected.

Nathan Mackinnon
Aleksander Barkov
Jonathan Drouin
Seth Jones
Elias Lindholm
Sean Monahan
Darnell Nurse
Rasmus Ristolainen
Bo Horvat

Looking at some mock drafts, would caps rather have Holtby or Smith, Kupari, Wilde, Hayton, Lundestrom, Samuelson? All those orders can change based on which mock drafts and ranking you look at.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
In fairness, I remember a lot of scouts and articles questioning how deep the draft was after the first few picks and not looked at to be the same. However, that top 9 ended up being damn good looking at back at it. Even if 5-9 changed orders, I don't see any of them being traded 1-1 for Schneider. I think the draft was better than some expected.

Nathan Mackinnon
Aleksander Barkov
Jonathan Drouin
Seth Jones
Elias Lindholm
Sean Monahan
Darnell Nurse
Rasmus Ristolainen
Bo Horvat

Really? I thought at the time it was considered as a very deep draft. 2014 draft at the time was considered as the weak one in between of 2 strong ones.

Wasn't there another better pick offered for Schneider too? I believe from Oilers. Franchise goalies do have value.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Nathan Mackinnon
Aleksander Barkov
Jonathan Drouin
Seth Jones
Elias Lindholm
Sean Monahan
Darnell Nurse
Rasmus Ristolainen
Bo Horvat

Looking at some mock drafts, would caps rather have Holtby or Smith, Kupari, Wilde, Hayton, Lundestrom, Samuelson? All those orders can change based on which mock drafts and ranking you look at.
This is kinda like comparing Apples to Morels.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Really? I thought at the time it was considered as a very deep draft. 2014 draft at the time was considered as the weak one in between of 2 strong ones.

Wasn't there another better pick offered for Schneider too? I believe from Oilers. Franchise goalies do have value.
Rumored (and confirmed I believe) 7th Overall from the Oilers.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Isles offered Nino ,but Vancouver went with NJ's offer.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Can some Caps fans shed some light on the Holtby trade spec/Samsonov /Grubauer /Carlsson re-signing---everything seems to hinge on one thing happening or not happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->