Movies: Hollywood sexual harassment ( Russell Brand facing multiple allegations)

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think part of my issue with the Ansari thing is I can 100% imagine Ansari, in his Master of None character (which is basically him playing himself, no?), whining over and over begging for a *******.

More obnoxious than inappropriate maybe. :laugh:

I think Ansari being pulled into this has made for an interesting discussion because he's dealt with these topics on a fairly autobiographical TV series.

You could see his character doing this, and hence, can see Ansari himself doing this. His character put his desire for sex over the perceived issues with one of his dates having racist memorabilia in his home. He misread signals.

Even the major plotline of his boss/partner being a serial harasser, when you look at what his characters response was, he pushed his friend to take action, but didn't speak up on his own.

With all of these cases, there's been a lot of criticism that things were left to the whisper networks, while people let it go on. I'm surprised that the show hasn't been referenced as a case of how people typically react, but should be doing more. And that Ansari, before these recent events, wasn't asked about what his thoughts on it were.

Regarding the whole Ansari incident as a whole, there's always a lot of hot take-ism for these stories, but, if you go beyond that, I've found the discussions at the levels below to be interesting. It raises good points on what is appropriate, and doesn't paint in black and white strokes.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The hot sauce at the airport incident made me dislike his character so much I have barely watched season 2. :laugh:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The hot sauce at the airport incident made me dislike his character so much I have barely watched season 2. :laugh:

I'd definitely watch season 2. It's a good show that provides a lot of scenarios that are relevant to the discussions in this thread. The primary plotline to end the season in particular is very relevant, but, so is the episode that deals with dating in the current app environment.

After the season, when asked if he'd do a season 3, he said maybe, but down the line once he's in a different situation, as he feels he doesn't have anything more to say about being young and single. I wonder if that still applies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean the girl that was his personal assistant it more so sounds like he was just an asshole to her sometimes....Shocker. Start the presses. The one that signed a contract agreeing to be in nude scenes...Okay lol that is ridiculous you signed up for it, if you aren't comfortable with the work...leave. The third women who from the sounds of it was on a date and/or dating him at the time I also don't get how that can be considered any kind of harassment. I mean they were on a date he asked her to do something and then she did it. She openly admits to having an attraction to him at the time, if he asks and she does it not saying anything....what exactly is he supposed to do in that scenario? lol I mean I guess it is up to interpretation what "pressured into it" actually means but to me all 3 of the women's claims seem like total B.S.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Yeah, as someone who follows Harmon, him being a bit of a sleazebag doesn't really come as a surprise. You can find some stuff on his/Ganz' twitters and instagrams. And I'm sure there are some articles out there that put it all together

Dan Harmon's comments/apology:

Harmontown
Jan 10th episode. Right around the 17:00 mark

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I saw this clip from Bojack used to describe Harmon's pattern of being shitty and then apologizing.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Scott Baio On ‘GMA’: Denies Sexual Molestation Allegations, Says ‘Charles In Charge’ Set “Was Like A Picnic Everyday”

Scott Baio, appearing on ABC’s Good Morning America today, again denied having sex with actress Nicole Eggert when his former Charles in Charge co-star was under 18 years of age. Describing the set of the 1980s sitcom as a happy, crowded place – “like a picnic everyday” – Baio repeated earlier claims made on Facebook Live that he was never alone with his younger castmate and that their only sexual encounter occurred after production ended, when Eggert was 18 years old.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Missed all those. Guess I will have to go back and re-read the thread again.

It has become a real societal problem that people simply see/hear what they want to hear and then attack the caricature they have fabricated of their own imagination. Everyone simply talks past each other in order to make the point they had long ago decided they wanted to make, regardless of what the reality of the situation might be.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
whoops wrong thread ;)

zGHQb4O.gif

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It has become a real societal problem that people simply see/hear what they want to hear and then attack the caricature they have fabricated of their own imagination. Everyone simply talks past each other in order to make the point they had long ago decided they wanted to make, regardless of what the reality of the situation might be.

I am sorry to have missed subtleties such as this, in your reaction to the three (not one) women that accused James Franco.

Reactions: Amerika

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think the majority of Franco's accusations are bogus, but you definitely didn't offer a nuanced - or even argumentative - take there.

So you think his accusers are “bogus”.....is that more or less nuanced than my “no pity” emoji?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So you think his accusers are “bogus”.....is that *more* or *less* nuanced than my “no pity” emoji?

I've talked about this on the politics board, but yeah, essentially the one accusation that I think is worthy of extreme scorn is the one about the protective pads on women's genitals. I don't see any reason as to why they should be removed - what does it add to the movie or the scene? - and I think certainly crosses a boundary that shouldn't be erased by a contract, considering the severity of the request. But women trying to ride the wave of such an important problem within an industry because James Franco called them a Pejorative Slur is distasteful and reeks of opportunism, in the same way that it did in the Aziz Ansari story, and in the same way that an actress puts him on blast for signing a poor contract that she agreed to.

Reactions: Mach85

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've talked about this on the politics board, but yeah, essentially the one accusation that I think is worthy of extreme scorn is the one about the protective pads on women's genitals. I don't see any reason as to why they should be removed - what does it add to the movie or the scene? - and I think certainly crosses a boundary that shouldn't be erased by a contract, considering the severity of the request. But women trying to ride the wave of such an important problem within an industry because James Franco called them a ****** is distasteful and reeks of opportunism, in the same way that it did in the Aziz Ansari story, and in the same way that an actress puts him on blast for signing a poor contract that she agreed to.

LOL, don't get so upset about women outing abusers.

See what I did there? :rolleyes:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
https://pagesix.com/2018/02/01/amy-schumer-speaks-out-about-aziz-ansari-allegations/

“I think a lot of women really feel bad that they’ve been complicit with things, but we didn’t know not to be,” she said. “And I think now there’s no excuse. And if you have a doctor that makes you uncomfortable, or you get a massage, or you have a date with someone and they coerce you in a situation like the Aziz one, I don’t there’s any sort of criminal charge, but I think that it’s good for everybody to learn that that behavior’s not acceptable.”

Subtle conflation of Aziz Ansari with serial molester Larry Nassar. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->