Movies: Hollywood sexual harassment ( Russell Brand facing multiple allegations)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Almost two years later, and I'm still waiting for more shoes to drop

I have a buddy who works for Warners here in the UK and he got the feeling that a lot of "sorry" money has been tossed around with non disclosure agreements as well

it is a ying-yang thing going on

While many guys have been outed/shamed/banished--many of the women who have stepped forward have not been getting many jobs since they went on record

The entertainment field is a money talks business and as we saw with Harvey Weinstein. the powers that be put in place insurance policies encase this happened.

So far most of the money paid out has come from insurance companies and not out of the bad mens pockets

Here in the UK there are a major producer and director who most thought would have been outed when this first started--for two years they have had no moves come out--but it sounds like behind the scenes they have been in full damage mode and have had a lot of cheques signed off on

it is not over yet--but we are no seeing the first wave of "bad men" start to make comebacks now

so the question is "Will it stick" or will the guys go back to their old ways

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That reminds me of a story that Jim Backus (Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island) once told, about when he was on vacation and a beautiful woman offered herself to him for $50. He told her that he had only $5 just to get rid of her and she was insulted and stormed off. Later, he was eating dinner with his wife and she came up to them and said, "See what you get for $5?" and stormed off again.
:biglaugh:
LOL! Good one. :)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That reminds me of a story that Jim Backus (Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island) once told, about when he was on vacation and a beautiful woman offered herself to him for $50. He told her that he had only $5 just to get rid of her and she was insulted and stormed off. Later, he was eating dinner with his wife and she came up to them and said, "See what you get for $5?" and stormed off again.
:biglaugh:
Shows how times have changed. I was out the other day with some friends and a new female friend joined us. I made a joke about "dishes being women's work" and it did not go over well with the newbie. Guys simply cannot get away with jokes, anymore. :)

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I have a buddy who works for Warners here in the UK and he got the feeling that a lot of "sorry" money has been tossed around with non disclosure agreements as well

it is a ying-yang thing going on

While many guys have been outed/shamed/banished--many of the women who have stepped forward have not been getting many jobs since they went on record

The entertainment field is a money talks business and as we saw with Harvey Weinstein. the powers that be put in place insurance policies encase this happened.

So far most of the money paid out has come from insurance companies and not out of the bad mens pockets

Here in the UK there are a major producer and director who most thought would have been outed when this first started--for two years they have had no moves come out--but it sounds like behind the scenes they have been in full damage mode and have had a lot of cheques signed off on

it is not over yet--but we are no seeing the first wave of "bad men" start to make comebacks now

so the question is "Will it stick" or will the guys go back to their old ways

Makes me wonder if such dudes would just try the Jared method from this point forward.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sutter sent a letter to the Mayans cast and crew following his dismissal in which he describes himself as “an abrasive dick” and apologizes, adding that “my arrogance and chronic distraction has created wreckage.” But further details on the specific complaints against him have not yet been made public

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Oh lawd they comin for Jeff Goldblum now. :laugh:

If you look at that accuser's Twitter account you will notice what I think is kind of a trend with salacious social justice accounts. They make serious accusations against a notable person and by the next day they completely move on back to generic shit posting like nothing ever happened.

This doesnt appear to have gotten much traction seeing as Twitter hasn't made it a "moment" yet, but I won't be surprised when Goldblum is "cancelled". Fact is he is way too old to behave the way he does, but weirdo Twitter latched onto him because they project themselves onto anybody who likes to dress well.

Frankly I found the "Stanning" of him the last few years to be obnoxious as all hell. The internet picks celebrities and then creates absurd, unrealistic, and unhealthy perspectives on them. Goldblum, Keanu Reeves, Timothy Chamalet, etc...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Jeff Goldblum being a super creep isn't exactly something I would be surprised about.

If you watch the Conan interview with Jodie Foster, they kind of bring up the fact he is a very "tactile" individual. Foster even (jokingly) refers to him as a "walking lawsuit" for this. That could be perceived as a joke but if information came out saying that Goldblum was a serial harrasser that would put it in an entirely different context.

Also Jesse Singal is a major asshole, and has a history of a fixation on trans issues for some odd reason.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
He is a journalist covering tech. Trans issues come up alot in that sector on social media, so he covers it.

What is odd about covering trans issues? I would argue its an area that doesn't get nearly enough attention.

I see Twitter weirdos often call him some sort of expletive but I have never seen any examples of him being any sort of expletive. It just strikes me as prototypically meaningless Twitter inanity from people who don't like having their views challenged or discussed.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
...they kind of bring up the fact he is a very "tactile" individual...
Therein lies the problem...

Some people are very touchy. Joe Biden is like that - sorry about the political reference. So is Jeff Goldblum. So am I. We don't mean anything by it, it is just a way to connect with people - a hand on the shoulder, the back, the arm. And, fortunately, 95%+ of people like the personal connection - I am blessed with a lot of friends. But there is always some people who don't.

P.S. Of course, as a straight guy, you learn to keep physical connection with women to a minimum. God bless fist pumps - the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He is a journalist covering tech. Trans issues come up alot in that sector on social media, so he covers it.

What is odd about covering trans issues? I would argue its an area that doesn't get nearly enough attention.

I see Twitter weirdos often call him some sort of expletive but I have never seen any examples of him being any sort of expletive. It just strikes me as prototypically meaningless Twitter inanity from people who don't like having their views challenged or discussed.
Twitter should be banned - it would make the world a better place.

Reactions: Jussi and Pilky01

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

It isn't about him covering trans issues, it is his fixation. He has been criticized immensely for some of the stuff he has written and his demeanor towards trans activists that challenge him on these issues.

Also he has had some completely garbage takes which I cannot understand why he thought were insightful:

Maybe he has gotten better, but he certainly cut out a specific niche for himself prior to today.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Therein lies the problem...

Some people are very touchy. Joe Biden is like that - sorry about the political reference. So is Jeff Goldblum. So am I. We don't mean anything by it, it is just a way to connect with people - a hand on the shoulder, the back, the arm. And, fortunately, 95%+ of people like the personal connection - I am blessed with a lot of friends. But there is always some people who don't.

P.S. Of course, as a straight guy, you learn to keep physical connection with women to a minimum. God bless fist pumps - the best of both worlds.
I personally would not want to be regularly touched by a person, whatever gender they are. And I think that there is a difference between being tactile and interacting with people through touching the way you describe and being "touchy feely" and overly tactile to the point where it makes people uncomfortable. Is the line for what is okay and what is not blurred? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean we should just let potentially harmful stuff go without challenging it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It isn't about him covering trans issues, it is his fixation. He has been criticized immensely for some of the stuff he has written and his demeanor towards trans activists that challenge him on these issues.

Also he has had some completely garbage takes which I cannot understand why he thought were insightful:

Maybe he has gotten better, but he certainly cut out a specific niche for himself prior to today.

My immediate inference from that quoted tweet is that he is referring to Fredrick Douglas, who was a huge figure in the abolition movement. It’s seems like a pretty straightforward statement to me but I understand that on Twitter people are always on the look out for offence.

I don’t have time to read that other entire article right now but will later. Though if that tweet is the best example of him having some “complerely garbage takes” then you’ve really only made me more certain that he’s a fine, normal person who is tackling a delicate subject that attracts lots of hyper reactive people.

Lots of people get criticized for their writing. It doesn’t make their writing wrong or disingenuous or bad. If anything it suggests that it’s imoortant.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Lots of people get criticized for their writing. It doesn’t make their writing wrong or disingenuous or bad. If anything it suggests that it’s imoortant.
He is criticized for writing misleading and harmful articles about trans people. If you want to consider that important (it is important because he is given a platform to make these articles which are considered misleading and harmful) then by all means.

Also it isn't the "best", it is the one I found within a couple minutes of searching. It isn't that hard to find the criticisms of his writing and his opinions on trans issues. He is one of the last people I would look to when it comes to issues about trans activism.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Also it isn't the "best", it is the one I found within a couple minutes of searching. It isn't that hard to find the criticisms of his writing and his opinions on trans issues. He is one of the last people I would look to when it comes to issues about trans activism.

I have no doubt there is plenty of that sort of criticism. Everybody who questions Trans activism is accused of transphobia. Whether it’s Martina Navratilova, JK Rowling, or Natalie Wynn. Heretics must be made an example of.

But also, this thread had nothing to do with this topic so I don’t know why you brought it up.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I personally would not want to be regularly touched by a person, whatever gender they are. And I think that there is a difference between being tactile and interacting with people through touching the way you describe and being "touchy feely" and overly tactile to the point where it makes people uncomfortable. Is the line for what is okay and what is not blurred? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean we should just let potentially harmful stuff go without challenging it.
That's fair. I didn't mean for a person to be gropey.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I have no doubt there is plenty of that sort of criticism. Everybody who questions Trans activism is accused of transphobia. Whether it’s Martina Navratilova, JK Rowling, or Natalie Wynn. Heretics must be made an example of.

But also, this thread had nothing to do with this topic so I don’t know why you brought it up.
I was explaining why I think he is an asshole which was what you asked for.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You brought it up.
Sure, because that is what I think. You bring up someone trying to discredit someone else, I will bring it up if I think they are potentially unreliable and a piece of shit journalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->