Confirmed with Link: Holland signed to 2-year extension

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The green injury may be a blessing in disguise. He might be forced into a one year prove it contract and be able to be flipped next year. Then again if I'm taking a one year prove it deal I'm going to a really good team surrounded by talent. Toronto has a ton of space for one more season. That would be a great fit for him.

You want Green back?

No wonder people want Holland back. The subscribe to the same bad ideas.

Green isn't going to sign a one-year deal. So, like Brendan Smith, Green should save Holland from that particular failure.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You want Green back?

Green isn't going to sign a one-year deal. So, like Brendan Smith, Green should save Holland from that particular failure.
Green's at the age and point in his career where not many teams are going to offer more than 1 year deal. If that's all he gets, he'll take it.

I just hope we don't try to entice him back to the team with anything longer than 2 years and even 2 years is pushing it.

Sign and trade is fine with me. He's not so good anymore that he's gonna make us a significantly better team. He won't hurt the tank, he won't be here long, he doesn't have to block any young d-men if we get rid of the replaceable players like XO. But he's decent enough where a playoff team that wants defensive depth will give us a 3rd or 4th or maybe a low 1st/2nd if he has a good year. I will take that pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Would be okay with green back on a 2 year deal as long as XO, Dekeyser/big E, and Jensen are gone. But even then would good with opening up 3-4 spots for our kids and hopefully dahlin

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I have a real hard time putting confidence in the mental acuity of a guy who can't even complete a full sentence. Look beyond the shallow tweets and listen to Holland's actual replies:

"...I feel their pain...UH... I've been a Red Wing since 1983... UHMM...lived here since 1994, I respect their passion... UHH... I understand their frustration. I understand their disappointment... UHH... I understand that(?) why they would have those feelings, and I guess it's up to me and my people to prove that... UMM... the plan that we've got is a good plan, it's a good plan for them."

It's like he has brain damage. Too much steak and red wine clogging up blood flow to his head, I don't know. He clearly can't recognize the reason for the criticism fans and observers have had. Wouldn't it make sense to acknowledge the complaints and explain management's thought process a little more?

Here's another gem:

"Ken Holland says there will be a minimum of two, maybe 4-5 young players on the roster next year who didn’t start on it this past season."

So Bertuzzi and Rasmussen. Wow. The only way we see 4-5 young players is because of injuries which would only be temporary fill-ins. A few things he said like this today I believe are straight up white lies. We'll see on July 1 if he sticks to his word.

And why the f*** is Cleary sitting in on the draft?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty much everything important came in out on that presser.

Also Holland actions from last 3 years has proven, that he was already going towards a rebuild. Now he said the same. Hasn't traded assets since 2015 deadline.

Lots of players on 1-2 year deals, Kenny is gonna trade most of them and open spots for new core in next 12-18 months. I could think he extends also Green and will sell him 1-2 seasons later. If we draft a guy like Boquist, he is still 1-2 years away from NHL, that would match for the timeline.

Liked also hear that he is gonna sign some new people on the front office. And that they are pushing harder for player development. I really wonder was Jiri Ficher the right guy for earlier player development, because nobody did really develop under him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have a real hard time putting confidence in the mental acuity of a guy who can't even complete a full sentence. Look beyond the shallow tweets and listen to Holland's actual replies:

"...I feel their pain...UH... I've been a Red Wing since 1983... UHMM...lived here since 1994, I respect their passion... UHH... I understand their frustration. I understand their disappointment... UHH... I understand that(?) why they would have those feelings, and I guess it's up to me and my people to prove that... UMM... the plan that we've got is a good plan, it's a good plan for them."

It's like he has brain damage. Too much steak and red wine clogging up blood flow to his head, I don't know. He clearly can't recognize the reason for the criticism fans and observers have had. Wouldn't it make sense to acknowledge the complaints and explain management's thought process a little more?

Here's another gem:

"Ken Holland says there will be a minimum of two, maybe 4-5 young players on the roster next year who didn’t start on it this past season."

So Bertuzzi and Rasmussen. Wow. The only way we see 4-5 young players is because of injuries which would only be temporary fill-ins. A few things he said like this today I believe are straight up white lies. We'll see on July 1 if he sticks to his word.

And why the **** is Cleary sitting in on the draft?

Why wouldn't your co-director of player development be at the draft.

Enjoy yelling at the clouds.:ha:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Pretty much everything important came in out on that presser.

Also Holland actions from last 3 years has proven, that he was already going towards a rebuild. Now he said the same. Hasn't traded assets since 2015 deadline.

Lots of players on 1-2 year deals, Kenny is gonna trade most of them and open spots for new core in next 12-18 months. I could think he extends also Green and will sell him 1-2 seasons later. If we draft a guy like Boquist, he is still 1-2 years away from NHL, that would match for the timeline.

Liked also hear that he is gonna sign some new people on the front office. And that they are pushing harder for player development. I really wonder was Jiri Ficher the right guy for earlier player development, because nobody did really develop under him.

Haha, you must have missed last years PS presser. The 1st and most central concept was PLAYOFFS! They didn't have a penny of space to trade in 2016 so that point is moot.

I'm waiting for a video of the full conference. The idiotic tweets, then interpreted by the media, is really not helping me understand what the "plan" is. One quote says they aren't looking to bring in any mid-tier veterans, another says they would but only short-term. It's somewhat confusing as a consumer (fan).

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You want Green back?

Lol did you just purposely miss the part where I said to sign him on a show me contract to flip him? That was like the entire theme of the post,homie.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
If Holland is to be believed:

Ras-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Z-Nyquist
AA-Nielsen-Abdelkader
Helm-Glendening-Svech
Frk, Witkowski

DeKeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Kronwall-Hronek/Hicketts
Jensen

Howard
Hutton/Other UFA

I think Green re-signs a 2 year deal. We can move him at the deadline in 19 or 20. If not then both Hicketts and Hronek make the team instead of one.

Also wouldn't surprise me to see Nyqusit and/or Glendening traded this summer. Doesn't sound like Kronwall is retiring and I don't think anyone wants Abdelkader/Helm/Nielsen/Ericsson or their contracts. Maybe Helm or Ericsson gain some value near the deadline.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Here's another gem:

well he did also say "between the age of 19 and 22" in that so Bertuzzi wouldn't count

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I

You seem to want him to talk in absolutes, which would be incredibly stupid by him to do.

It's not white lies. It's pretty expected that Rasmussen and Svech make the roster from day 1. Big probablity that at least 1 of Hicketts/Cholowski/Hronek make it. Depending on who get in the draft, that could be another contender for a roster spot. He might be talking about Bertuzzi too which would make 5 kids all together. But who the hell knows how it will play out in 5 months time? Maybe some of those kids look like garbage in preseason?

Reactions: Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
From a guy who gets it (Devils' GM Ray Shero, regarding the recent information that New Jersey has the green light to spend to the cap, and nearly $20M in cap space this summer):

https://www.tsn.ca/devils-gm-shero-cleared-to-spend-to-cap-1.1068643

"It's easy to go south just with cap space," Shero told the Bergen Record. "Cap space is one of the greatest assets in the league. Once you lose it, you better be a good team that’s pushing to win a Cup or something. So we want to do that the right way. Nothing has changed since Day 1 for me when they gave me this green light."

Translation: Spending smartly makes sense. Spending to spend doesn't. And bigger budgets come with bigger expectations.

Kenny, your response?

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38.jpg

(And yeah, I know it's low hanging fruit. But there really needs to be more emphasis on responsibility and accountability, including with the cap.)

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
"It's easy to go south just with cap space," Shero told the Bergen Record. "Cap space is one of the greatest assets in the league. Once you lose it, you better be a good team that’s pushing to win a Cup or something. So we want to do that the right way. Nothing has changed since Day 1 for me when they gave me this green light."

Translation: Spending smartly makes sense. Spending to spend doesn't. And bigger budgets come with bigger expectations.

It's bizarre to me that this has to be explained.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Jersey handcuffing Hall and Hischier due to not spending is fine by me.

What does that mean.

The ONLY fact, the only fact, is this..

If Shero spends just to spend that is how you will handcuff hall and hischier.

You can not build through free agency as all you get more often then not are bloated contracts on marginal castoffs.

Reactions: jkutswings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What does that mean.

The ONLY fact, the only fact, is this..

If Shero spends just to spend that is how you will handcuff hall and hischier.

You can not build through free agency as all you get more often then not are bloated contracts on marginal castoffs.
"spend just to spend" makes it sound like you give 10 million to John Scott and 10 million to Matt Martin. It's kinda obvious that giving out terrible contracts to terrible players is never great.
I just don't see the great value in having a superstar on a very friendly contract and a budding star in Hischier on an ELC and losing in the 1st round with 20+ million in cap space, in contrast to say spending some of that cap space on additional scoring and defensive depth. Cap space is only as much of an asset as you turn it into, and you can't save it from year to year. No one congratulates you for having a lot of unused cap space in those years you weren't winning, nor does anyone care if you had an overpaid 3rd liner or two in those years when your superstars were dirt cheap and you won hockey games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Except that you do save it from year to year, in the sense that you don't have it already committed to a multi-year deal if the free agent class is better the next time around.

New Jersey was previously one of the worst teams in the league, so there was no reason to make sure they spent to the cap. Now that they are at least back in the mix, it makes more sense to see where they can add a piece or two in free agency, and yet they still have the flexibility to use other avenues (trades, RFA offers, etc.) as the rebuild continues.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
From a guy who gets it (Devils' GM Ray Shero, regarding the recent information that New Jersey has the green light to spend to the cap, and nearly $20M in cap space this summer):

https://www.tsn.ca/devils-gm-shero-cleared-to-spend-to-cap-1.1068643

Kenny, your response?

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38.jpg

(And yeah, I know it's low hanging fruit. But there really needs to be more emphasis on responsibility and accountability, including with the cap.)

Devils aren’t anywhere close to being a Cup contender. Doesn’t sound like he gets it to me.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Devils aren’t anywhere close to being a Cup contender. Doesn’t sound like he gets it to me.

Isn' that what he is saying?

Spending money on the types of guys you find thru free agency right now would be a waste because they're not there yet.

Seems like he actually does get it. Its everyone else who does not

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Except that you do save it from year to year, in the sense that you don't have it already committed to a multi-year deal if the free agent class is better the next time around.

New Jersey was previously one of the worst teams in the league, so there was no reason to make sure they spent to the cap. Now that they are at least back in the mix, it makes more sense to see where they can add a piece or two in free agency, and yet they still have the flexibility to use other avenues (trades, RFA offers, etc.) as the rebuild continues.
I guess I'm just more of a bird in the hand person. Next year's FA class always looks better but the players you sign can help you now and you never know how many chances you get. Leafs signed Marleau to an ugly contract because they can afford it. They didn't win this year but Marleau had 4 goals in 7 playoff games and was a reason those kids got the chance to force a Game 7 and earn some actual experience instead of losing in 4-5 games and not learning much. They could have been sitting around with 6-10 million in cap space instead and talked about not wanting to spend until they're a contender, but heck, you only get so many years of Matthews, Marner and Nylander being dirt cheap. Same goes for Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, Zacha and Hall.
Overall I think Shero has done well in his time in NJ but the team still feels stuck in 2nd gear and unsure whether they want to rebuild or compete. Don't find much to aspire to there tbh.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I guess I'm just more of a bird in the hand person. Next year's FA class always looks better but the players you sign can help you now and you never know how many chances you get. Leafs signed Marleau to an ugly contract because they can afford it. They didn't win this year but Marleau had 4 goals in 7 playoff games and was a reason those kids got the chance to force a Game 7 and earn some actual experience instead of losing in 4-5 games and not learning much. They could have been sitting around with 6-10 million in cap space instead and talked about not wanting to spend until they're a contender, but heck, you only get so many years of Matthews, Marner and Nylander being dirt cheap. Same goes for Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, Zacha and Hall.
Overall I think Shero has done well in his time in NJ but the team still feels stuck in 2nd gear and unsure whether they want to rebuild or compete. Don't find much to aspire to there tbh.

I think Shero knows it' not yet the devil' time

They're behind Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, and columbus in the east plus Nashville, winnipeg and whomever else in the West

New Jersey is with the likes of Philly and Colorado and probably Vancouver next year. Still two or three years away. Unless it' for a good young player signed, why add too much salary right now?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Isn' that what he is saying?

Spending money on the types of guys you find thru free agency right now would be a waste because they're not there yet.

Seems like he actually does get it. Its everyone else who does not

Teams that don't spend don't win. Just ask Carolina or Arizona. If you aren't spending money you aren't trying to win, whether through free agency or by signing your own players. If you have $20 million in cap space it means you aren't winning a Stanley Cup. Players don't want to play for an owner that doesn't spend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad