Confirmed with Link: Holland signed to 2-year extension

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Sure they would, if they'd come out and came up with the plan the fans would actually back, instead of the current blubbering.

Majority of fans just want to come out to watch a good game, they don't get all wrapped up in the things we do. I really dont think the GM makes a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Majority of fans just want to come out to watch a good game, they don't get all wrapped up in the things we do. I really dont think the GM makes a difference in the grand scheme of things.
Well, okay, but they won't get that, either. So it's just lose/lose/lose across the board for every segment of the fanbase.

Except the Ken Holland fanbase, I guess.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
After 2017 TDL, Kenny has made right moves. New GM won't change anything right now, Red Wings will be a bottom-10 team for a while. Just keep trading vets away and keep hoarding draft picks.

When Zetterbeg retires this team will crash and burn big time. 2020 draft first overall belongs to Detroit and then new GM will announce the pick and new page will be turned in this franchise history.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Fans? Or corporate seat holders?
Fans who pay to watch games are more invested than message board warriors.
My friends who have season ticket holders are crazy passionate about the Wings and way more wrapped up in things.
It might not be the same things you or I care about, but they care.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Fans? Or corporate seat holders?
Fans who pay to watch games are more invested than message board warriors.
My friends who have season ticket holders are crazy passionate about the Wings and way more wrapped up in things.
It might not be the same things you or I care about, but they care.

I'm talking the average adult that goes to the games with their kids, or the 80 year old who has been a season ticket holder for 30 years. You mention your friend, he may care, but is he going to cxl because Holland was renewed?

I was a season ticket holder, I was for the last 4 years. I did quit this year, but not because who the GM was, I quit because of the BS they added to being a season ticket holder with the new arena.

I think the average fan who pays to go, cares about wins and losses. I dont think they care about who the GM is, or what the cap is at etc.

Time will tell.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Ok, give him a couple years to see if his plan starts to work out. If not he's gone. Might as well give him a chance to implement his vision, as much as I don't like it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Well, okay, but they won't get that, either. So it's just lose/lose/lose across the board for every segment of the fanbase.

Except the Ken Holland fanbase, I guess.

Agreed, they may stop coming if the Wings are losing and getting their asses kicked. But I dont think they will stop coming because of who the GM is.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If Kenny has really turned a corner:

Draft for skill.
No more NTC-laden, long-term deals for veterans.
Show some priority for things like puck moving defensemen and puck possession forwards.
If a kid gets called up, give him more than token ice time on the 4th line.
Let the Tatar deal be the first of multiple roster players unloaded, either in the summer or at the deadline.
Don't collect ho-hum guys just to say you reached the salary cap. Spend smartly.
No shortcuts. This is a long rebuild.

I wish him well. I'm not optimistic, but I wish him well.

Ken Holland is the GM, not the coach. A GM making coaching decisions sets a bad precedent.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Agreed, they may stop coming if the Wings are losing and getting their asses kicked. But I dont think they will stop coming because of who the GM is.

It's all intertwined.
Fans want accountability which they aren't seeing.
Paying crazy LCA prices to watch this team struggle night in and night out, without a plan in place, hearing crap like "We like our team" is a recipe for it being empty.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It's all intertwined.
Paying crazy LCA prices to watch this team struggle night in and night out, without a plan in place, hearing crap like "We like our team" is a recipe for it being empty.

Some fans sure, but again my point is that the average fan is not watching press conferences, reading boards, looking into the cap etc. Its about wins and losses.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's all intertwined.
"We like our team" is a meme on this board but it's pretty outdated in terms of being reflective of what management is actually saying.

The idea of a "plan" to suck making fans more likely to watch the team suck... I question it strongly. But who knows.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Some fans sure, but again my point is that the average fan is not watching press conferences, reading boards, looking into the cap etc. Its about wins and losses.

I've been told by Michiganers 5 years ago that the Wings are an afterthought there already. Not seeing "average fans" having any different feelings now.
The novelty of the LCA wears off in year 2, it will be empty, you'll see.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I've been told by Michiganers 5 years ago that the Wings are an afterthought there already. Not seeing "average fans" having any different feelings now.
The novelty of the LCA wears off in year 2, it will be empty, you'll see.

If people from Michigan have been saying this to you for 5 years and in that time span ticket sales for the Wings are:

2018- 4th out of 31
2017 - 3rd out of 30
2016 - 3rd out of 30
2015 - 3rd out of 30
2014 - 2nd out of 30

I'd say that just proves my point. Don't dismiss the Canadian fans either, alot of fans cross the border to go to games (myself included).

Remember, I am arguing tickets sold because you were saying Illitch will feel it in his pocket books.
Fans being given tickets from their work, they may stop going, but Illitch wont care about that as they are still getting paid.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Why has he been re-signed?

I really want to know why.

His decisions have been putting this team in the hole since '08.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If people from Michigan have been saying this to you for 5 years and in that time span ticket sales for the Wings are:

2018- 4th out of 31
2017 - 3rd out of 30
2016 - 3rd out of 30
2015 - 3rd out of 30
2014 - 2nd out of 30

I'd say that just proves my point. Don't dismiss the Canadian fans either, alot of fans cross the border to go to games (myself included).

Remember, I am arguing tickets sold because you were saying Illitch will feel it in his pocket books.
Fans being given tickets from their work, they may stop going, but Illitch wont care about that as they are still getting paid.

First, this is total attendance, which would be a good measure if it wasn't for the fact LCA holds 20,000 fans and many NHL arenas hold 17-18,000 fans. So that can paid the number pretty good. Second, it depends on how they count attendance, because ticket sales aren't the same as asses in seats, this is doubly true when people are buying blocks of tickets up for corporate events/smoozing and for speculative resale on secondary markets.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
They extended him for two years because they don't want to telegraph that they will go for Steve after the first year of Holland's extension. That's what I hope.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Hope Chris Illitch enjoys two more years of empty seats.

This is me waiting to see how this works out for the org:
How+about+a+pbs+timelapse+showing+the+entire+inauguration+_74ba81fec00f0574a2cff04e1ef5df66.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->