Confirmed with Link: Holland signed to 2-year extension

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Speaking of playoffs and this team going forward, several of the players seem to think they could return to playoff hockey as soon as next season:

‘Next season’: Red Wings confident of quick return to playoffs

“Our goal is to try to get back there next year. Give ourselves a chance to get back to the playoffs.” (Helm)

“Next season,” said Abdelkader, of how quickly the Wings can re-enter the playoff picture. “We’re real close as a team. We’re going to have some young players who’ll get an opportunity to play on the team. We’ll have growth from within, (if) veteran guys maintain their levels (of production), young players will an opportunity to play and help the team,”

“There’s not a lot of difference,” DeKeyser said. “If you swing some of those one-goal games, just score a few extra goals here or there, your special teams improve a little bit, that all can make a big difference and add up points, for sure.”

I know they're not really going to say anything contrary to that, but it's better to just not comment, rather than appear so delusional. :facepalm:

I hope the Red Wings make a push for the playoffs next season and get swept in the first round just to taste your angry tears.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I hope the Red Wings make a push for the playoffs next season and get swept in the first round just to taste your angry tears.
What a silly thing to hope for.

"I want the team to have a mediocre season because it would make someone I don't even know upset."

Reactions: njx9

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think it is going to be just like that. We will do the same what Avs did this year. Don't be so negative, Larkin going to have nvp season, Mantha has huge upside potential . If this team start helping thair goley, we will be there.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
We don’t have to worry about the Wings making the playoffs for a very long time. With Z probably playing his last season before LTIRetiring, we should see another drop off in performance like we saw when Datsyuk retired. Although it won’t be as bad as it was Datsyuk. Hopefully the 2020 draft ends up having a generational player the Wings can target like Toronto did with Matthews.

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
We don’t have to worry about the Wings making the playoffs for a very long time. With Z probably playing his last season before LTIRetiring, we should see another drop off in performance like we saw when Datsyuk retired. Although it won’t be as bad as it was Datsyuk. Hopefully the 2020 draft ends up having a generational player the Wings can target like Toronto did with Matthews.

We aren't worried about the playoffs, we are worried about Kenny being Kenny and dipping into the UFA pool again, to live out his delusions, instead of properly rebuilding.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
What a silly thing to hope for.

"I want the team to have a mediocre season because it would make someone I don't even know upset."

I agree with you on the perry part of it but if Red Wings do actually make the playoffs, isn't that a sign of progress, given where we finished this year?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I agree with you on the perry part of it but if Red Wings do actually make the playoffs, isn't that a sign of progress, given where we finished this year?
I don't see it being the progress we need considering what I have stated are major deficiencies in the roster.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I don't see it being the progress we need considering what I have stated are major deficiencies in the roster.
Anyone who has watched these playoffs and still not realizing how much gap there exists between true contenders and the Wings, is probably not worth arguing about "progress" with

Reactions: avssuc and gbdet

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Anyone who has watched these playoffs and still not realizing how much gap there exists between true contenders and the Wings, is probably not worth arguing about "progress" with

Well, what can I tell you... If you're not at the very top of the field in which you work, quit your job and start from scratch on a different field. See how that works out in practice and then get back to me.

Reactions: lilidk

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Well, what can I tell you... If you're not at the very top of the field in which you work, quit your job and start from scratch on a different field. See how that works out in practice and then get back to me.
This makes no sense whatsoever.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
This makes no sense whatsoever.
No actually, your second hand address to my post didn't make sense. Or better yet, you had no clue on comprehending what I actually said. So, it's really no surprise that you have no clue at what I was hinting on here either...

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
You do that, regardless.

Taking a step back to hope to move 10 steps forward... Is it really more reliable than taking the step forward and, waiting, creating the next step to move up on?

A bit of an extreme example but, if you are the Vegas Knights, the very position they're in right now.... Going into finals... Would you trade being in that place for Dahlin. Or vice-versa, do you give away Dahlin to be in the place where Vegas is now?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Taking a step back to hope to move 10 steps forward... Is it really more reliable than taking the step forward and, waiting, creating the next step to move up on?

A bit of an extreme example but, if you are the Vegas Knights, the very position they're in right now.... Going into finals... Would you trade being in that place for Dahlin. Or vice-versa, do you give away Dahlin to be in the place where Vegas is now?
Hard to compare a team in their first season ever and an original six team rebuilding with the roster they already had.

Plus we are talking about the Wings being a first round exit team next year. That's a bad comparison.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Hard to compare a team in their first season ever and an original six team rebuilding with the roster they already had.

Plus we are talking about the Wings being a first round exit team next year. That's a bad comparison.

I wasn't going for any comparisons; more like evaluating where the mind truly is. It also speaks some volumes on the fact that there are so many people who seem to think that even when battling for a playoff spot, Holland should just do a 180 and tank instead but what is exactly acceptable risk here? Having a poster boy on the team certainly doesn't guarantee you the cup. Certainly, there's no guarantee that we get bounced in the first round or the second if we do get in either. At the end of the day, games are played on the ice, not on paper. Flyers certainly don't have a banner for their 97 cup win, Tampa isn't going to be playing for the cup this year and Vegas Knights certainly aren't entertaining the though of picking Svechnikov over Dahlin come June 28th.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You are branching off the general point.

I believe the team needs to add more high profile pieces which is more likely with high draft picks. I am not content with relying just on what we have to win a cup. With that I am of the opinion making the playoffs next year would not be evidence of the core getting to where we want it, but a mirage which takes away a potential high profile piece. The only thing I can see us getting out of it is playoff experience for the youngsters, which I would consider overrated anyway.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
You sound like a real Red Wings fan. You should probably ask yourself why bother spending time on a team you hope fails

Reactions: lilidk

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
You are branching off the general point.

I believe the team needs to add more high profile pieces which is more likely with high draft picks. I am not content with relying just on what we have to win a cup. With that I am of the opinion making the playoffs next year would not be evidence of the core getting to where we want it, but a mirage which takes away a potential high profile piece. The only thing I can see us getting out of it is playoff experience for the youngsters, which I would consider overrated anyway.

A general point would need to be consistent in order for it to be accurate. There's a difference in going off-topic and pointing out holes in it. There's was this lottery commercial where money falls out of the sky and everyone jumping out of their houses trying to get it, outside of this one couple.... The woman tells the man we should go out there before it's all gone, yet the man say if we wait a bigger bag might drop out of the sky. I'm sure you see my point...

There's still free agency. Some really good players might be in play soon, too. And how in the world would it be a mirage? If Vegas wins the cup this year and not makes the playoffs, what? It was all in vein? Would you cry about it in their shoes?

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Are you saying it should be ECF/SCF or bust? How many teams have operated by that logic as they allow there youth to develop?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Dude, I'm talking about a first round exit team. That was the original post I responded to. Vegas is not a comparable in any way shape or form. And no, I don't see your point in that metaphor and don't think it was a very well thought out or explained one.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Are you saying it should be ECF/SCF or bust? How many teams have operated by that logic as they allow there youth to develop?
No, that isn't what I'm saying.

I have stated multiple times a first round exit there would be a mirage in my opinion based on the pieces we have and what I think we still need. I am not making a hard line stance on what is considered "acceptable" in terms of how far the team makes it in the playoffs on a given year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Which you address as you go forward?
That works be a great way to go...if I thought this regime could identify and develop a good defenseman by picking outside the top ten of the draft. But the last 15 years kinda say otherwise.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Dude, I'm talking about a first round exit team. That was the original post I responded to. Vegas is not a comparable in any way shape or form. And no, I don't see your point in that metaphor and don't think it was a very well thought out or explained one.

Do you have a crystal ball that warps space-time and lets you know ahead of time what happens? Vegas sure wasn't projected anywhere near the playoffs at the start of the season. Thats pretty well documented on here. Nor was the Washington team projected to make a deep run while were at it.

In that metaphor, instead of trying to seize opportunities that are presented in front of was, a good portion here would rather we wait for the right year for the right 'one'. And then what happens if we don't even get the lottery pick? We tank until we get one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad