TSN: Holland: Oilers likely to add goalie in free agency

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Team with only one goalie signed is looking to sign another goalie
This and other breaking news stories coming up at 10

Reactions: McRpro

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They just signed a goalie for 3 years at 4.5M who hasn't played a day of that contract and they are looking for a goalie.

Good times ahead
Tbf that is tandem starter money . Probably should have gotten the 1b contract but still.

Oilers problem is wasted cap in other places so they can't afford a good 1b anyways tho if they go for forwards

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
They just signed a goalie for 3 years at 4.5M who hasn't played a day of that contract and they are looking for a goalie.

Good times ahead

Nothing Holland can do about that, he didn't sign the goalie. Just has to work with what he has.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Unfortunately for the Oilers, they can't afford any goalie that is established. They have to hope to sign someone who could pull off a "hamburgler" type of season. That is a tough situation to be in. Much of the Oilers issues over the past few years have been between the pipes and this aspect has never been addressed. I think if the Oilers had a bonafide starter, it would help steady the defense and give confidence to the skaters.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So they don't see Starrett as ready yet to challenge for the backup role?

It doesn’t make sense for a team looking to make the playoffs to go into the season with Koskinen and a goalie who’s never played an NHL game. Koskinen should realistically probably be the 1B in their tandem anyway.

If Starrett is legit, he’ll get his opportunity as some point next season (a la Binnington) and if he takes that chance and runs with it, then you have an easier problem to solve than to roll with Starrett from the beginning and end up with only one NHL goaltender and looking for another in-season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Trade for an even worse contract ? Unless the Devils add picks that makes no sense. Schneider has not been any good 3 years
Schneider has been injured.

Since coming back from injury in February, he posted a .920+ SV% in 17 games behind an awful defense...the oilers would be lucky to land Schneider.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Schneider has been injured.

Since coming back from injury in February, he posted a .920+ SV% in 17 games behind an awful defense...the oilers would be lucky to land Schneider.

Schneider is paid like a top10 goalie and he is not one.

Also that wouldn't solve anything . You'd still need a competent backup to Schneider . Only now you spend 1.5 Million per year more on your 1a . Schneider is in my opinion no longer a fulltime starter. He's similar to Lehtonen now in his finals few seasons. Formerly great starter derailed by injuries . Now at best a backup or 1a/1b type of goalie on a hideous contract.

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I wonder if we'll ever see some sort of investigation on a journalists part into that contract. Everything about it is just plain weird, weirder than general incompetency can seem to explain.

What's to investigate? It's the classic Oilers MO. Guy has a hot start so commit big to him before you can see if it's just a hot streak. They have done that a ton in the past decade.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
"I'd like a goalie who could play 30-to-35 games and they challenge and push each other. Ideally, I'd like one who has pro experience"

Edmonton is totally unable to evaluate goaltender performance and wouldn't know goaltending talent if it bit them in the ass. They had Brossoit for 4 years, and released him based on a 20 game sample behind a trainwreck defense. On a $650,000 contract in Winnipeg, he went 13-6-2, beating Hellebuyck with a 0.925 SV% and 2.52 GAA. I trust they'll make some more questionable goalie calls next year, when they realize Koskinen can't save their team either.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
"I'd like a goalie who could play 30-to-35 games and they challenge and push each other. Ideally, I'd like one who has pro experience"

Edmonton is totally unable to evaluate goaltender performance and wouldn't know goaltending talent if it bit them in the ass. They had Brossoit for 4 years, and released him based on a 20 game sample behind a trainwreck defense. On a $650,000 contract in Winnipeg, he went 13-6-2, beating Hellebuyck with a 0.925 SV% and 2.52 GAA. I trust they'll make some more questionable goalie calls next year, when they realize Koskinen can't save their team either.
You say they released him based on a 20 game sample size behind a bad defense.

But then you go on and say he is a good goalie based on a 21 game sample size behind one of the best teams in the league...

I get it, your trying to piss on the Oilers. I get it, we're bad, real bad. But at least have a valid argument and don't contradict yourself lol.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
You say they released him based on a 20 game sample size behind a bad defense.

But then you go on and say he is a good goalie based on a 21 game sample size behind one of the best teams in the league...

I get it, your trying to piss on the Oilers. I get it, we're bad, real bad. But at least have a valid argument and don't contradict yourself lol.

A 5 game per year average for a sample is a heck of a lot worse than a 21 game sample over one year. I have nothing against the Oilers, but your team's goaltending choices have been putrid. It's difficult to blame the goalies for what the whole team is doing, but management seems to be making goalie decisions as if they are the problem. Those rash decisions lead to the release of good options.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Triatan Jarry is available for a 2nd. He's essentially a 1B in waiting for the Pens who has played well in the NHL but has been kept down in WBS to play more games.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Good times ahead

Do you have a clue about hockey ? You know you need 2 goalies and currently we only have 1 .

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I noticed one user said ward is undesirable?
Surprisingly Ward played outstanding this year for Chicago, the downfall was the defense.

He would be a solid backup who could play a starter role if need be , bring leadership and stability in goal, also his price would be reasonable and he wouldn't demand a long term contract.

Lots of pluses

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I see Talbot signing here for cheap.

Not a chance. The only reason Philly had for trading Stolarz to us for Talbot was to guarantee they extend him to be Hart’s back up. Talbot and Hart train together and are good friends, as well as Talbot provided mentoring to Hart while he was still in junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->