TSN: Holland: Oilers likely to add goalie in free agency

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Elliott would be a good guy to sign because if he gets hurt, you have the goalie you can recall without having to clear waivers in Starrett.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Here are the goalies with more than 20 games played:

Bobrovsky - too expensive
Varlamov - possible… could be too expensive
Lehner - highly unlikely
Kinkaid - possible
Smith - possible
Mrazek - highly unlikely
Nilsson - possible
Talbot - highly unlikely
Ward - possible but undesirable
McElhinney - possible and ideal
Brian Elliott - possible and ideal

Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Lehner and Talbot are all highly unlikely for various reasons.

McElhinney and Elliott could be really good additions.

Nilsson and Smith are somewhat risky but have decent upside

Kinkaid and Ward are really not too appealing...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Elliott , Varlamov , Kinkaid from the top of my head would be decent candidates to share the net with Koskinen

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They should just trade for Cory Schneider and send Koskinen to New Jersey then call it a day.

Trade for an even worse contract ? Unless the Devils add picks that makes no sense. Schneider has not been any good 3 years

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the guy they end up getting is a guy Holland sees as a 35-game guy. If you're targeting a guy with the track record of playing that many games, you're spending too much.

I could see Calvin Pickard or Michal Neuvirth as darkhorse adds.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I wonder if we'll ever see some sort of investigation on a journalists part into that contract. Everything about it is just plain weird, weirder than general incompetency can seem to explain.
Koskinen will be a decent NHL starter for many years forward. I don't see what's so weird about it. Because he didn't play in the NHL that much yet? Because he had a poorer stats behind a shitty defense?

Signing KHL players to term and money is the new normal. Should get used to it. If you haven't heard of a player before it doesn't necessarily mean the player can't be a good one.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I wouldn't mind taking a stab at Varlamov tbh. Assuming he isn't asking too much that is.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
They just signed a goalie for 3 years at 4.5M who hasn't played a day of that contract and they are looking for a goalie.

Good times ahead

"I'd like a goalie who could play 30-to-35 games and they challenge and push each other."
This sounds like he is looking for a back up to the 4.5MM man.

Reactions: jonu and Joel Ward

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
They just signed a goalie for 3 years at 4.5M who hasn't played a day of that contract and they are looking for a goalie.

Good times ahead

I'm not a fan of that contract for other reasons (the goalie), but $4.5M is not "full time starter" pay. It would have made perfect sense to have kept both Talbot and Koskinen @ $3.5M x 2.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if we'll ever see some sort of investigation on a journalists part into that contract. Everything about it is just plain weird, weirder than general incompetency can seem to explain.

That contract is basically the perfect explanation of everything wrong with Edmonton:

Contract gets signed and is generally considered to be an overpay for an unproven guy.

Couple days later Chia is fired, and now people don't understand why a lame duck coach was allowed to sign a deal with that term and $

Then the old boys club took over and said they had say in negotiating the contract and it wasn't just Chia which makes the whole scenario even more bizarre.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not a fan of that contract for other reasons (the goalie), but $4.5M is not "full time starter" pay. It would have made perfect sense to have kept both Talbot and Koskinen @ $3.5M x 2.

4.5 would make him about the 20th highly paid goalie in the league, so I'd suggest that's full starter pay.

It's just more evidence that evry single person in the Oilers organization above Chia in the hierarchy was fully behind Chia right up until the second he was fired (and that firing him was probably one of the last things they wanted to do)

Reactions: Lolonegoal

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
4.5 would make him about the 20th highly paid goalie in the league, so I'd suggest that's full starter pay.

It's just more evidence that evry single person in the Oilers organization above Chia in the hierarchy was fully behind Chia right up until the second he was fired (and that firing him was probably one of the last things they wanted to do)

I don't defend the $$$ for this goalie one bit... but... the 20th position for games played by goalies had 49, meaning that his backup(s) had 33 games played... so think my point stands.

I don't think you can find too many established, year-over-year workhorse starters (with ~60gp) who make less than $5M unless they were RFA or signed before establishing themselves.

Again, I don't think Koskinen was a worthwhile bet at $4.5M, but I do maintain it's not established, play-every-night kind of pay.

Interesting take on the Chia firing/support to the last moment. I guess you are implying that the decision must have come from Katz himself then? Unless it was the Manning/Petrovic trades were the nails in the coffin

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->