Holland Offseason Moves (Multiple Polls)

Ken Holland Overall

• Good Offseason

• Bad Offseason

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 8 years @ $5,125,000

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• Duncan Keith + Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones + 2022 conditional 3rd round pick

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• Mike Smith 2 years @ $2,200,000

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• 2021 1st Round Draft Pick

• #20 Jesper Wallstedt (G)

• #22 Xavier Bourgault (F) + #90 Luca Münzenberger (D)

• Cody Ceci 4 years @ $3,250,000

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• Tyson Barrie 3 years @ $4,500,000

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• Zach Hyman 7 years @ $5,500,000

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• Derek Ryan 2 years @ $1,250,000

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• Warren Foegele for Ethan Bear

• Good Value

• Bad Value

• Warren Foegele 3 years @ $2,750,000

• Good Value

• Bad Value

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Reserving my vote on the overall offseason until I see whether or not we go into the season with Koskinen.

Reactions: 780il

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
-Absolute dumpster fire offseason
-RNH=good AAV term is a bit long for my liking but it's a good move overall
-Keith=absolute dog shit franchise crippling trade
-Smith=the player is fine but the 2 years is awful for a 38 year old goalie
-draft=Bourgault is fine from what I'm reading
-Ceci=complete disaster, he's a player whose solid on a short term deal in medium difficulty competition but we've locked him in for 4 years for some reason?
-Barrie=underpaid for leading all dmen in points, great move
-Hyman=player is good, term is vomit inducing for a player with his playstyle and knee issues
-Ryan=underpaid and fills an important need, no complaints
-Bear trade=good player but why did we have to give up our best matchup RHD for him man? now we have 3 dmen who need sheltering in Barrie/Ceci/Bouchard
-Foegele contract=fair contract that could potentially become a steal if he gets hands and becomes a 20-30 goal 50-60 point player

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Bad. Skipping on a potential star goalie to draft a centre when their starting goalie is 38 and they have the best 2 centres in the league is a major wtf.

Also, that Ceci contract is awful. Wtf! How is he still in this league? #7 d on a bad team at best and he gets 4 years? Wtf. Holland is among the worst for cap management in the league.

Duncan Keith is not the answer for this franchise. I like him and he probably has some left but he has a big contract and will be a third pairing D. I’m not sure why they moved Jones or Bear. Losing Larsson will be tough

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Bad offseason

Things I liked

Foegele and resigning
Barrie for 3 more years only at a good price

Things I’m indifferent on

Ceci contract, think it’s ends up not that bad
Hyman deal, think it’s good for like 2 years

Hated

Passing on Wallstedt, going into next season with our goalie setup, even if they scramble now there really isn’t many better options out there
Keith at full $

Overall it’s a lot of Meh, the fact the Oilers had as much cap space as they did and we still look at the roster and go “Well it’s better I guess, but I’m not sure a lot better” Holland has also failed for 2 off seasons now to address goaltending to find a long term option.

So bad offseason because I think the potential was there to have a really good one, and we did a lot of bad and only some good, a lot of in between

Reactions: Beerfish

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Overall, I thought it was a bad offseason as we have failed (so far) to bring in a goalie for the 2nd year in a row. The defense also doesn't look too hot and really hinges on Duncan Keith being able to anchor that 2nd pairing. Bouchard also needs to have a big year and prove that he is a top 4 dman. I also think a lot of dollars were wasted and Holland didn't truly maximize the cap space that was available to him.

The moves/signings that I did like were the RNH signing, Barrie signing, and the Foegele signing. All pretty good value on those.

Reactions: Beerfish

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Good offseason.

RNH, Hyman and Barrie signings all good business. RNH's NMC is the only worrying point for me.

Our fans overvalue our own prospects/young players and that extends to Bear and Jones.

Bear was a good young player but adding Foegele and locking him up for 3 years at a reasonable number is better than Bear hitting RFA the same time we need to pay Nurse. Jones had his chances and blew it, players good at fancy stats and nothing else are worth using as trade chips.

Losing Larsson was the worst part, but you can't begrudge him choosing where to play, players take their often one chance at doing that very seriously.

Keith looks a good bet to turn things around in a Tippett system, a better forward group giving support and less ice time, Ceci is a solid addition, even if his game is different than Larsson's. His term and cap a bit too high but that's what you get in UFA, look at similar players. Having two veterans with playoff experience on the second pair is invaluable. Also when Bouchard, Broberg and Samorukov push for top 4 roles, Barrie and Ceci have no trade protection, and Keith is on a two year deal, we're not locked in to this group.

That's what this offseason is all about giving our young core veteran additions to impact our playoff ceiling, not playing EA Sports and adding the best rated players.

Smith is a competitor and battler, the only way he can't make good on his contract is injury. It seems we got stuck since nobody wants Koskinen, and not pushing things another year on a buyout seems smart. Would like another inexpensive addition to battle in camp, with Stalock too. Maybe Koskinen does better going into UFA with an NHL career on the line and a deadline addition looks certain.

We don't need a goalie of the future to arrive when McDavid and Leon potentially may be gone, we have 3 good goalie prospects all pressing for AHL time, and still need skill forwards in the system, the draft pick was good.

Last edited:

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Larsson screwed the whole thing. I like Foegele Keith Ryan and Hyman but Ceci and his contract are a huge by downgrade. Not upgrading our goaltending is a minus. Unless the kids jump forward I can’t see playoff success in our near future

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I agree with the mass of hockey pundits that this was a poor offseason for Holland. A lot of strange moves and big over pays in assets, term, and AVV.

It "could" work but a serious gamble that just doesn't warrant what was done.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Im seeing this kind of comment a lot. I’m not great fan of the Keith move, but someone needs to explain. How can a contract with only two years left be considered ‘franchise crippling’.
Our current cap hit heading into 2022 If Duncan Keith does not retire next season is 64 million between 8 forwards, 5 defensemen, 1 goalie, and dead cap. This leaves us with 17 million in space all without a starting goalie and without Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Nurse signed to contract in a crucial offseason. Even if you lowball and assume Yamamoto gets 1.5 million and we fill out 4 forward spots+a defenseman spot with replacement level players, you're left with 11 million to distribute between Nurse, Puljujarvi, and a starting goalie. That is not financially feasible and the extra 5.5 million dollars from Duncan Keith is the negative value asset that's making that impossible, at least Hyman and RNH are gonna be worth their money for a few years.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Good offseason.

RNH, Hyman and Barrie signings all good business. RNH's NMC is the only worrying point for me.

Our fans overvalue our own prospects/young players and that extends to Bear and Jones.

Bear was a good young player but adding Foegele and locking him up for 3 years at a reasonable number is better than Bear hitting RFA the same time we need to pay Nurse. Jones had his chances and blew it, players good at fancy stats and nothing else are worth using as trade chips.

Losing Larsson was the worst part, but you can't begrudge him choosing where to play, players take their often one chance at doing that very seriously.

Keith looks a good bet to turn things around in a Tippett system, a better forward group giving support and less ice time, Ceci is a solid addition, even if his game is different than Larsson's. His term and cap a bit too high but that's what you get in UFA, look at similar players. Having two veterans with playoff experience on the second pair is invaluable. Also when Bouchard, Broberg and Samorukov push for top 4 roles, Barrie and Ceci have no trade protection, and Keith is on a two year deal, we're not locked in to this group.

That's what this offseason is all about giving our young core veteran additions to impact our playoff ceiling, not playing EA Sports and adding the best rated players.

Smith is a competitor and battler, the only way he can't make good on his contract is injury. It seems we got stuck since nobody wants Koskinen, and not pushing things another year on a buyout seems smart. Would like another inexpensive addition to battle in camp, with Stalock too. Maybe Koskinen does better going into UFA with an NHL career on the line and a deadline addition looks certain.

We don't need a goalie of the future to arrive when McDavid and Leon potentially may be gone, we have 3 good goalie prospects all pressing for AHL time, and still need skill forwards in the system, the draft pick was good.

Refreshing to hear some level headed thinking amongst all the emotional whining.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Our current cap hit heading into 2022 If Duncan Keith does not retire next season is 64 million between 8 forwards, 5 defensemen, 1 goalie, and dead cap. This leaves us with 17 million in space all without a starting goalie and without Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Nurse signed to contract in a crucial offseason. Even if you lowball and assume Yamamoto gets 1.5 million and we fill out 4 forward spots+a defenseman spot with replacement level players, you're left with 11 million to distribute between Nurse, Puljujarvi, and a starting goalie. That is not financially feasible and the extra 5.5 million dollars from Duncan Keith is the negative value asset that's making that impossible, at least Hyman and RNH are gonna be worth their money for a few years.

It's only crippling if he's in the press box. Ever stopped to think he will perform and cover his contract? Plus we have needed mentors on this team forever.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Refreshing to hear some level headed thinking amongst all the emotional whining.

If you are a member of the sunhsine squad you are rational and level headed.
If you question even one move made by the oilers you are an emotional whiner and a troll.

The absolute truth of oilfans forum.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He spent a lot of money on a team that probably as is still loses in the 1st round.

So I don't think he's upgraded smartly enough.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

You are completely forgetting Klefbom's LTIR space and that Holloway and Broberg will most likely be on the team for less than $1.8 million combined. It's not nearly as bad as you are making it look.

That leaves us $19.5 million to sign Nurse, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, McLeod, a goalie and replacements for Russell, Archibald and Turris.

And of course this is all assuming that trades can't happen.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Leaning slightly toward bad offseason since we haven't secured a goalie. I think it's an average offseason with some good sprinkled in, but the goalie situation makes me downgrade it a bit.

Hoping Ceci is more like what Pit claims and less what Toronto claims. They shit the bed in their evaluation of Barrie, so there is some opportunity this could be decent but 4 years sucks. Still wish we got Keith with retention, but I'm looking forward to him being on the team.

Hyman is a bit long, but who gives a shit? We have four years to get the show on the road. I think he's better than Danault and they got pretty well the same contract.

Barrie is a f***ing steal. To quote Ocean's Thirteen - "Nuff said."

Think we won the Bear trade, and that is a good contact we re-signed him too.

Ryan is an obvious upgrade on Khaira, was getting tired of watching him float.

Not concerned about the draft, I think dropping two spots for a third was pretty good value. I really don't give a shit about this goalie prospect, we can't develop goalies to save our lives and people need to stop acting like he was going to be doing something for us in the next couple years anyways. The correct move was to trade the pick and we didn't. Taking a player in general this year is meh. Taking a goalie in the first round is super meh, Yzerman didn't even want the kid.

Not upgrading goalie sucks and is the number 1 limiter of my happiness with the offseason. We are definitely a better team though, looking forward to next season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Can you add an option to edit please? Meant to put good value for Smith and bad value for Keith.

Love Keith but still would have liked at least $1m to $1.5m retention.

Ceci is more a wait and see than good or bad. I would have liked a little less AAV or one year less term at these dollars

Tough one for me to assign a vote to is Hyman, great player, 2-3 years longer term than I would have liked (but worth the squeeze).

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If you are a member of the sunhsine squad you are rational and level headed.
If you question even one move made by the oilers you are an emotional whiner and a troll.

The absolute truth of oilfans forum.
Questioning rationally isn't being a whiner or a troll. People need to stop living in a vaccume and realize there are other better hockey teams and much better places to live than Edmonton. That has to be taken into consideration on any move an Edmonton GM makes. People can roast all the past GMs they want but if you don't see Edmonton is handicapped in any UFA or even some RFA situations you are blind.

space321

May 11, 2011
Skipped the draft question b/c I no longer follow prospects.

Hyman, Ceci contracts have been discussed quite a lot already. I don't like the value for either one, but at least Hyman is a good player while Ceci imo is getting overrated by A LOT and that contract is a disaster a la Kassian's contract.

Bear for Foegele... imo we could've gotten more for Bear who is a RHD with one more year on his contract. We got back a player without a contract. However, I do think Foegele's new contract is decent.

Mike Smith... 2 years is too risky. Could be dead cap in year 2.

Derek Ryan... same logic, 2 goals last year gets 2 x 1.25? This should've been a 1 yr minimum salary contract at most.

Tyson Barrie... pretty fair contract for a one dimensional Dman who's really f***ing good at that one thing. Same goes for RNH. Tbh for these two I don't think it's either good or bad, just neutral. But there wasn't an option for that, so since we didn't get ripped off, I'll chalk it up as a small win.

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Giordano,turning 38,making a million more than Keith is coveted by Flames fans and Seattle management yet some here trash Keith.Keith was and is still better than Gio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad