Helene St. James Holland: Mike Babcock extension unlikely before season

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
“My situation is great,” Babcock said via The Hockey News. “I’m in love with my wife and I have three great kids at home and I coach the Red Wings. I’m from Saskatoon and I love my life. See you guys.”

I will miss this type of stuff a lot if/ when he leaves

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
If they are talking and haven't agreed on a deal, doesn't that mean Babcock as asked for a deal and has been denied? I am no expert on contract negotiations but my assumption is that's how it goes. The free-agent, or soon to be free agent asks for a contract, the organization disagrees, and they continue negotiations. And if that's the way things have been going, wouldn't the smartest possible thing for Ken Holland to do be to sign Babcock to whatever deal he wants? He's the world renowned best coach in hockey. Who is more valuable, Ken Holland or Mike Babcock?

Last edited:

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
If they are talking and haven't agreed on a deal, doesn't that mean Babcock as asked for a deal and has been denied? I am no expert on contract negotiations but my assumption is that's how it goes. The free-agent, or soon to be free agent asks for a contract, the organization disagrees, and they continue negotiations. And if that's the way things have been going, wouldn't the smartest possible thing for Ken Holland to do be to sign Babcock to whatever deal he wants? He's the world renowned best coach in hockey. Who is more valuable, Ken Holland or Mike Babcock?

It said they offered and he said no.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I think Mike is looking to get paid in order to pull up all coaching salaries with him - to set a new benchmark if you will. I mean when you have players getting 8-9-10M per season and the highest paid coach is making $2.5/season something is amiss.

I could see Toronto offering him $5M per season if he hits the open market - if not more. How much value/impact does a good coach have on a team/game? More than a third line center in the very least one would have to say right? If you were to rank Babcock's value to the team against our current roster where would he fall?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think Mike is looking to get paid in order to pull up all coaching salaries with him - to set a new benchmark if you will. I mean when you have players getting 8-9-10M per season and the highest paid coach is making $2.5/season something is amiss.

I could see Toronto offering him $5M per season if he hits the open market - if not more. How much value/impact does a good coach have on a team/game? More than a third line center in the very least one would have to say right? If you were to rank Babcock's value to the team against our current roster where would he fall?

hard to say.

last year strong case can be made he was MVP right behind nyquist. maybe kronwall.

Brandel*

I don't understand this statement? The Wings just gave him a offer and he said no. This has nothing to do with the preseason talks. He falt out said no.

because obviously holland would have offered a contract at some point prior to today and he's not currently signed. its intuitive

its pretty clear to me that babcock wants to see how the wings do this year and what options are available to him after the season

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

This is why I think he's looking to get paid big time with his next contract - to be the new benchmark for coaching salaries, so every coach could get a more themselves on their next contracts - Babcock is huge about the whole coaching fraternity thing and if he could use Toronto vs Pittsburgh vs Detroit to get himself a $5M yearly contract, than the next time Quenville is up he can ask for the same money (which would be doubling his current contract), same with Sutter, and Hitchcock - up and down the coaching ranks. If head coaches are getting paid a lot more, than assistant coaches will get more as well. If assistants are getting more than AHL coaches and CHL coaches will get more as well.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't understand this statement? The Wings just gave him a offer and he said no. This has nothing to do with the preseason talks. He falt out said no.

No, he turned down the offer. Do you know how many offers get turned down by players/coaches/professionals that end up re-signing anyway? Babcock has probably turned down multiple offers from the Wings by now. Its all a natural part of the bargaining process.

You make it sound like the Wings handed him an offer and he didn't even look at it before saying no and shutting down negotiations for good. That's clearly not what happened here.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
This is why I think he's looking to get paid big time with his next contract - to be the new benchmark for coaching salaries, so every coach could get a more themselves on their next contracts - Babcock is huge about the whole coaching fraternity thing and if he could use Toronto vs Pittsburgh vs Detroit to get himself a $5M yearly contract, than the next time Quenville is up he can ask for the same money (which would be doubling his current contract), same with Sutter, and Hitchcock - up and down the coaching ranks. If head coaches are getting paid a lot more, than assistant coaches will get more as well. If assistants are getting more than AHL coaches and CHL coaches will get more as well.

That may be what he's doing but that's sure as hell not why he is still unsigned. The Wings made Babcock the highest paid coach in the NHL once before and they'll do it again. Money will play zero factor in whether or not he re-signs.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
No, he turned down the offer. Do you know how many offers get turned down by players/coaches/professionals that end up re-signing anyway? Babcock has probably turned down multiple offers from the Wings by now. Its all a natural part of the bargaining process.

You make it sound like the Wings handed him an offer and he didn't even look at it before saying no and shutting down negotiations for good. That's clearly not what happened here.

Not was I was going for, or meant. This is the first I had heard of a offer being giving to him and him turning it down that's all. All we have heard so far is they where not even talking about it. Just thought I would share it that's all.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
People clearly don't seem to get how this works. Babcock is a commodity with an unknown value on the open market. He and his representatives would be idiots to accept any offer before the end of the season. The offer the Wings gave wasn't their best offer either. This won't be resolved until the off season, nor should it. Anyone who wants to blame Babs or Holland... go right ahead. You just don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->