Holland has to go

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Nyquist Rel. Corsi -3.6
Tatar's 23.8. Next on Wings is Datsyuk at 11.

Nyquist had little tougher opponents but better linemates and more off. zone starts. Tatar also drived the play, finishing more in off. zone than he started, with Nyquist it's the other way around.

and only Val. Filppula has better pens drawn/taken differential than Tatar.

Last edited:

petesrw

Apr 6, 2009
I have a feeling Holland tries to sign the type of guys Babcock plays.

We might have never seen Nyquist in the AHL if we had a coach that liked to use these young, skilled guys. Instead we see these players who try real hard, are over 6 feet tall, and (to varying degrees) don't mess up defensively too frequently play, get signed, get extensions, etc...

Bert, Sammy, Andersson, and Quincey for example.

Those are guys Babcock always uses when they are healthy, besides one game where Q was scratched. I can't really blame Holland for not making moves to replace a grinder in place of, say Tatar, because we all see how he was used. And I think if Babcock told Holland to get him on the team, Holland would. My point is, why would Holland build a team with the type of players Babcock doesn't like to use?

Holland didn't get any major players recently, which sucks, but given the awful contracts it takes to attract top talent, something can be said for the lack of any additional terrible contacts, post Z/Franzen.

I think Bert, Sammy, and Colo were all pointlessly given two year deals, but those are no where near the disruptions like some players' contracts have been throughout the years. That's a plus in my book.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Nyquist Rel. Corsi -3.6
Tatar's 23.8. Next on Wings is Datsyuk at 11.

Nyquist had little tougher opponents but better linemates and more off. zone starts. Tatar also drived the play, finishing more in off. zone than he started, with Nyquist it's the other way around.

and only Val. Filppula has better pends drawn/taken differential than Tatar.

Yeah, Tatar did absolutely nothing to show he doesn't belong in the NHL. The only excuse for burying him in the AHL is to deflate his NHL production so you can get him on a cheaper contract. It's pathetic.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah, Tatar did absolutely nothing to show he doesn't belong in the NHL. The only excuse for burying him in the AHL is to deflate his NHL production so you can get him on a cheaper contract. It's pathetic.

And if they sign Nyquist, Smith, Tatar etc. to 1-2 year bridge contract I'll be pissed.

You can always keep the second contract small as player has little leverage. Except for stars. But that really wouldn't be a problem. One can always go the ROR route but then they can be traded before that happens.

If they sign them for 2 years or less they don't save that much in cap hit. And assuming they had played in league for 1-2 years earlier they would make up for that higher salary as they'd be better players. They'd still be cheaper than the likes of Sammy and Quincey etc.

Only way I'd accept this if they got them to deals like Flip is on now or similar long-term contract. They wouldn't take that kind of deal if they were established top6 F or top4 D.

They might actually lose out in the end as the players wants the money when he's UFA. Like Howard.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I'm all for letting Babcock go. His bit is worn out. Holland is a valuable piece in the front office, but I'm not sure if he should be making all of the personnel decisions. I'd like to see him made Team President and Nill made GM.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Eh, just seems like simple mismanagement.

Honestly, if there was ever a time to utilize new blood into the team, this is it. And if we make it to the playoffs, throwing Tatar to the wolves of Chicago or Anaheim would make him better for next year.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I know a lot of people around here don't care but making the playoffs in Grand Rapids was probably a little bigger deal then they let on. It might frustrate some, but it isn't completely unimportant to the Wings, especially since last year was really the first time nobody got extra time and they had far too much off time with the Wings not being able to practice them for a month. Go ahead and hate that but understand they care somewhat about that level also and with the contracts already out, they felt it important to keep one of the big two down. It is painful but realize without it making a huge difference on the team here and a big difference there it was probably considered.

Good point, never said I don't care about Grands Rapids. It would be the best for the kids to get the play-off experience, seeing as how I don't think we will make the play-offs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
They might actually lose out in the end as the players wants the money when he's UFA. Like Howard.

I think it's pretty clear this is the thinking. They've had a bit of trouble signing Ericsson, Abdelkader and DeKeyser. I think guys who have a bit of leverage are getting their money back when they have leverage - or in DeKeyser's case, making sure he cannot be sent down.

On the one hand this is a good thing as the player is worth the money. As much as people complained about Ericsson's deal it looks very good right now. On the other hand when guys like Abdelkader are pushing for every last dollar it will have an impact on the cap.

RedWingsNow*

I wonder how much of the prospect "development" relates to trying to keep contracts lower.
I've heard other fans talk about this as "upside" of Holland's strategy, but to me it's foolishness.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wonder how much of the prospect "development" relates to trying to keep contracts lower.
I've heard other fans talk about this as "upside" of Holland's strategy, but to me it's foolishness.

I do think that was a part of it. But as others have started pointing out it doesn't work. These guys come back looking for more on the next deal because of this.

Ericsson - has lived up to his contract, but that was not a discount, he would have gotten that on the open market
Howard - just got a fair deal, not a break
Tatar - we already know he is angry don't think his next contract will be nice and farther down the line he will get paid or he will skip in UFA later
Smith & Nyquist - aren't earning a big next deal really, but likely feel (and I agree) they have been cheated out of a couple million dollars
Filppula - took his extension has preformed above it once, but is still looking for a wad of cash
Quincey - No break coming from him on a contract
Abdelkader - cashed in
Helm - cashed in

Looks like Kronwall is the last guy we did this to, who really took a home discount even after his deals. Even he wasn't stuck down long and his season of service was during a lockout which likely didn't cause hurt feelings

Kopecky skipped town

What do you bet Kindl demands at least 2 million on this RFA contract?

It is pretty clear these guys are starting to take this into consideration when the time comes to talk turkey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad