Holik wants to be paid during the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hmmmm...Mr. Holik is talking about the playoffs like he is planning on playing hockey this season. Interesting...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hockey_Nut99 said:
Did Guerin sign b4 or after it? I don't remember

They both signed in the same off-season. I believe that Guerin signed before Holik, but they were both done very close together.

Guerin's deal was based on John LeClair, who was signed the previous off-season, and not Bobby Holik.

EDIT: Holik signed two days before Guerin.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Steve L said:
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1106980263291040.xml

Several members of the players' union brought up the issue of pay. Players aren't paid during the preseason or playoffs, but that would have to change during a shortened schedule or playoff-only plan.

"The tournament takes a lot more out of you than the regular season," Holik said. "If they had a two-month (Stanley Cup) tournament, they have to go with four months of pay."

_____

Yes, I know how you will struggling making a couple of million for 2 months work Bobby, why dont you go over to Europe and take someone elses money if youre really that hard up. :shakehead

Oh yeah the players are really trying to save the game of hockey :lol

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Every time one of these guys speak they make themselves look even worse... It should have been the PA doling out the fines for speaking out! BobbyHolik's contract only pays him an avg of 9M per season...wow, I can really see where he is coming from... :amazed: :shakehead

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
They both signed in the same off-season. I believe that Guerin signed before Holik, but they were both done very close together.

Guerin's deal was based on John LeClair, who was signed the previous off-season, and not Bobby Holik.

EDIT: Holik signed two days before Guerin.
Thus we can see where the vast inflation comes from in that example, LeClair wanted to sign for the Flyers for less money but Goodenow wasnt happy, he forced LeClair to sign for more, leading to others claiming the same inflated amount.

This greed from the NHLPA caused the lockout and will bring a salary cap in the future and this is why they get no sympathy from me.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
BLONG7 said:
Every time one of these guys speak they make themselves look even worse... It should have been the PA doling out the fines for speaking out! BobbyHolik's contract only pays him an avg of 9M per season...wow, I can really see where he is coming from... :amazed: :shakehead

I can see where he's coming from, if they only play a 25 game regular season Holik would only make $2.6 million. He's gotta be able to put food on the table... :madfire:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Steve L said:
Thus we can see where the vast inflation comes from in that example, LeClair wanted to sign for the Flyers for less money but Goodenow wasnt happy, he forced LeClair to sign for more, leading to others claiming the same inflated amount.

This greed from the NHLPA caused the lockout and will bring a salary cap in the future and this is why they get no sympathy from me.

LeClair didn't want to sign for less moeny. He had won a huge arbitration award the previous year and he was looking to cash in on one last big payday. He had been underpaid while we was pumping in 50 goals on a regular basis.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
LeClair didn't want to sign for less moeny. He had won a huge arbitration award the previous year and he was looking to cash in on one last big payday. He had been underpaid while we was pumping in 50 goals on a regular basis.
He had won $7m the previous season but had wanted to sign for less than the $9m he eventually signed for.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
John Flyers Fan said:

Well now he's making 9 million a season while pumping in an average of 22 goals since his raise to this amount.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
kerrly said:
Well now he's making 9 million a season while pumping in an average of 22 goals since his raise to this amount.

Nobody said it was a good signing, most times UFA's end up getting paid more than they're worth.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I'd love to see some proof of that.
Well its pretty much common knowledge among a lot of Flyer fans but I cant be arsed to search articles from 4 years ago for proof. It doesnt matter if you believe it or not because Holik is the issue here rather than LeClair.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
futurcorerock said:
i wonder how bad he feels that he's one of the notable players who has changed the financial landscape of the NHL.

It's better if he just doesnt speak anymore and plays his brand of overpaid-yet-mediocre hockey

Yeah cause Holik really demanded that he get 9 million or else..........I believe he had that money thrown at him by ownership, you know, owners, the reason were in this mess and the reason theres no NHL hockey? Im sure Holik feels awful.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Sorry to wade in late with this question, I only skimmed so I hope it hasn't been addressed, here goes :

Just how many fantastic giant poodles does this man own that he can't easily feed and pamper them on the king's ransom he's stolen from innocent Rangers fans and their idiotic GM?? :help: :dunno:

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Splatman Phanutier said:
Why would Holik be whining about this considering his Rangers haven't made the playoffs in 8 years? :dunno:

How can a Calgary fan joke about this. As I recall it was 15 years since the Flames won a playoff series before last year. Thats like a Leaf fan picking on Phily for not winning a cup for a while

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
he's stolen from their idiotic GM?? :help: :dunno:

It was the Rangers GM who offered the contract so its not like Holik is stealing from him. Holik shouldnt be making more than 4 or 5 million. I dont feel any sympathy for the Rangers being stuck with this contract when they were the ones who offered it to him.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Hey everyone, I got an idea.

Bobby Holik wants to get paid for the play-off
NO PROBLEM

Pay Bobby Holik "only" if he gets into the play-offs

their you go Bobby " here is your 9 million for getting us into the play-offs.
Don't spend it all in one year, you just might need this to tide you over if the Rangers don't make the play-off next year.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
Players definately need to paid in the playoffs.
When a cap comes in, Im sure it the cap will have to include playoff play, in that case money will be taken away from the players that dont make the playoffs.

If youre talking about just this season, the players only deserve playoff pay if theres no regular season.

Phanuthier*

NataSatan666 said:
How can a Calgary fan joke about this. As I recall it was 15 years since the Flames won a playoff series before last year. Thats like a Leaf fan picking on Phily for not winning a cup for a while
Because it isn't a Flames player *****ing?

Try and keep up, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm pretty sure winning the cup is better than any monetary compensation you can get.

Besides, aren't the teams paid a certain amount for every round they advance?

Brent Burns Beard