Confirmed with Link: Holden +pick to Ottawa for Dadonov

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
It seems to me that if you really want Dadonov on the team the proper move to make is to move Smith. Am I completely off base? I just don’t see what you do with all these RWs.

I do think Dadonov is better than Smith and probably would work out even better on that line. I can see him converting a lot of the trash left behind from all those terrible, low -percentage shots Marchy takes into gold.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The 3rd given up is the Vancouver pick from the Schmidt trade. :ha:

It seems to me that if you really want Dadonov on the team the proper move to make is to move Smith. Am I completely off base? I just don’t see what you do with all these RWs.

I do think Dadonov is better than Smith and probably would work out even better on that line. I can see him converting a lot of the trash left behind from all those terrible, low -percentage shots Marchy takes into gold.

Smith probably has the most value, but Marchessault would make the most sense to move. Dadonov is kind of like a 2nd Marchy. It's a weird fit for them to have 2 one dimensional wingers after getting all these 2-way possession wings.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
The 3rd given up is the Vancouver pick from the Schmidt trade. :ha:

Smith probably has the most value, but Marchessault would make the most sense to move. Dadonov is kind of like a 2nd Marchy. It's a weird fit for them to have 2 one dimensional wingers after getting all these 2-way possession wings.

I would prefer to move Marchessault over Smith as well.

We could do a Tuch-Karlsson-Dadonov 2nd line and move Smith down. We just have so many combinations we can make with all these Wings.

The line that really intrigues me would be a 3rd line of Stephenson-Krebs-Tuch. Speed for days.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I would prefer to move Marchessault over Smith as well.

We could do a Tuch-Karlsson-Dadonov 2nd line and move Smith down. We just have so many combinations we can make with all these Wings.

The line that really intrigues me would be a 3rd line of Stephenson-Krebs-Tuch. Speed for days.

I think Tuch Stephenson Dadonov might work.

Interesting to note that Dadonov's old KHL team is SKA. They must have been watching him closely while they were looking at Shipachyov and Gusev. Also worth noting Morozov plays for them and is in the last year of his contract. He'd be eligible to come over after their playoff run.

Perhaps Dadonov will play for team Russia at the Olympics with Morozov. The new head coach for their olympic team just happens to be SKA coach Valery Bragin. Hmm.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Had a few good games for us but was pretty bad otherwise.
Can’t see that continuing though.

50-70pt player for you is what I’ll predict

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Has Donny found his Barkov in Stone? Might he be a keeper?

If the cap goes up next season, they move Brossoit & get a league minimum backup, and call up Thompson for 15+ games...then they just need to shed a tiny bit more cap to re-sign Hague & Roy.

They could go with a 3rd line of Pacioretty-Stephenson-Roy/Patrick/Dugan/Dorofeyev for mucho depth.

(assuming he doesn't need to be traded when Eichel comes back :help: )

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Has Donny found his Barkov in Stone? Might he be a keeper?

If the cap goes up next season, they move Brossoit & get a league minimum backup, and call up Thompson for 15+ games...then they just need to shed a tiny bit more cap to re-sign Hague & Roy.

They could go with a 3rd line of Pacioretty-Stephenson-Roy/Patrick/Dugan/Dorofeyev for mucho depth.

(assuming he doesn't need to be traded when Eichel comes back :help: )

I was wondering with how well Roy, Stephenson and Dadonov have played that when we get to full health we should still be pretty deep even if Smith and Janmark have to go to make room.

Stone and Stephenson have chemistry, Stone lifts linemates and Dadonov seems to play well with the two and has been a top six NHL forward before.

Maybe something like this?

Pacioretty-Eichel-Roy
Dadonov-Stephenson-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Patrick
Carrier-Howden-Kolesar

Leschyshyn, Cotter, Rondbjerg, etc.

Roy is on a 50 point pace between Smith and Marchessault 70% of the time and lesser wingers the other 30%. Last playoffs he was a part of the third line that was our offensive lifeline in the later rounds.

Apart from the points, he has been one of our best forwards last postseason and to start this season defensively and his work away from the puck in all zones, with our highest +/- and top three on the team in pretty much every advanced stat, and you can tell even just from watching that he's impactful even apart from points. One of the few left who hits and can fight. He's experienced now, fast and hardworking, comfortable at C and RW, has come up clutch before.

If we put him with two bona fide top six point producers, I think he can be a legit top six forward good for 50-ish points and solid two way play. Should help elevate his goal total to 20-25 pace in an 82 game season, which would be my only concern. A cheaper almost Reilly Smith level impact.

And it would allow us to put Marchessault and Karlsson against third lines and roll our lines more to avoid fatigue and ease the concerns of those worried about depth. Bonus it also puts Patrick in probably the best position he could ask for to succeed.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I know I'm the odd man out, but I generally like what Dadonov has brought. Just like with Smith, every contribution on the ice can't be measured in points. Maybe a little overpaid, but his veteran decisions on the ice have usually been good.

Reactions: Vegas07

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I know I'm the odd man out, but I generally like what Dadonov has brought. Just like with Smith, every contribution on the ice can't be measured in points. Maybe a little overpaid, but his veteran decisions on the ice have usually been good.

That sounds like something you can pick up as a free agent for $1-2m a year and there are always options available.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
That sounds like something you can pick up as a free agent for $1-2m a year and there are always options available.

He's somewhere in between. I think he's given the team more than your run-of-the-mill $2M free agent, but hasn't risen to a $5M value. If you said you could pick someone of his talent up at $3-$3.5M, I'd agree with that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Watch him score at a 40 goal pace with Eichel now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad