Boston Globe Hohler: The Black and Gold Bruins in red, white, and blue

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Black and Gold Bruins in red, white, and blue

An unusual thing happened whenever the Bruins were screened at airports by customs inspectors these last three years: More of their passports said “United States of America’’ than “Canada.’’

united-states-passport-001.jpg

It is a first in the franchise’s 94-year history, as the Bruins have become the face of an evolving National Hockey League. While the trend toward homegrown talent and European stars is accelerating in a league long dominated by Canadians, no other NHL team carried more Americans (19) this season than the Bruins, which also had fewer Canadians (7) than any prior Bruins team.

Should the new-age Bruins win the Stanley Cup, they would become the first NHL team to do so with so many more Americans than Canadians.

O, Canada. No offense intended, said Bruins president Cam Neely, a son of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. He insists he never set out to turn Boston’s Black and Gold red, white, and blue.

“It’s just by coincidence, to be honest,’’ said Neely, a Hall of Fame former Bruins winger. “We try to identify the best players, regardless of where they’re from.’’

Though Neely has presided over the Americanization of a franchise that stands on the shoulders of such Canadian greats as Eddie Shore, Bobby Orr, and Patrice Bergeron, he insists that the transformation is not based on a home-country bias.

“When our amateur scouts are out around the globe, they compile lists,’’ Neely said. “When we go over those lists, we don’t really look at where the players are from. We look at what kind of hockey players they are.’’

They ask questions.

“Is he a good teammate?’’ Neely said. “Is he going to go to war with you, so to speak? Can he help us?’’
The answers, for American talent in recent years, have time and again been “yes.’’

The Bruins were one of 10 NHL teams with more Americans than Canadians this season; only Pittsburgh had as many — 19 US-born players, to 12 Canadians.

The Penguins were the first to win a Stanley Cup with more Americans than Canadians, in 2016.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Well at least if any "USA" chants break out this time they will actually be kinda legit? LOL

This always used to bug me 4-5 years ago....looking at the roster and then hearing idiots chanting "YOU ESS AY!" when our team had fewer Americans by far than the Canadian team we were playing against.

Cherry picking here, but in 2014-5, we had a total of 8 US players who even touched the ice - and that includes spare parts Bobby Robbins (3 GP), David Warsofsky (4 GP), Matt Lindblad (2 GP), and Brian Ferlin (7 GP). The only sorta regulars were Krug, Miller (who probably would have been the whipping boy that year...), (...except we focused on) Bartkowski, and Trotman.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Idk why but I always thought it would be a cool touch to let players wear their country's flag on the back neck area or a shoulder patch area

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Neely was born in Comox, British Columbia and grew up in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

Wow, Neely was my favourite player growing up and I had no clue he lived in Moose Jaw.

I’m a born and raised Sask boy and even went to school in Moose Jaw.

No idea how I didn’t know this before ...

I even thought Wikipedia was lying until I found the HHOF article. Mind blown!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad