HOHHOF -- Early Era -- Round 6

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This is the discussion thread for Round 6 of the HOHHOF (so we ain't discussing on the Round 5 results thread!).

A proper introductory message will be posted shortly (at the very worst, tomorrow -- as I must be gone ASAP).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And to answer for Pulford : I have problems to vote him before Hod Stuart... and even over a few guys who got no votes last round (Boucher, Baker, amongst others).

The Hall would be incomplete without Pulford, but there are just quite a few guys that I'd vote in before him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
This is my list:

1) Tommy Phillips - I think it's strange in some sense that Bowie got in so long before Phillips, Stuart, or McGee, as it's a real open question as to which of the four was the best player of his era. Decades after they played, it seems most sources favored Phillips or McGee. Phillips had an average lengthed career.

2) Hod stuart - best defenseman of his era and perhaps best player

3) Frank McGee - sure he had a short career. But that didn't stop him from being known as the best player ever in the east for a long time after he retired to save his other eye. The above three are the only ones left to be extensively referred to as the best player in hockey post-1900 I think.

4) Georges Vezina - best and most historically significant goalie left

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I have difficulty understand how Lester Patrick is not getting in as soon as this round. He was the far superior player to Bain ans while the far more influential in the development of the game. He should be on anyone's list at that point.

Sticking with Patrick, alongside Tom Phillips, Georges Vezina and I'm open to a fourth selection.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The problem with Patrick is how much of what he did as a "builder" gets credited to him as a player here. Was he really better on the ice than Moose Johnson, for example?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
At this point, I just have trouble voting for Patrick, who was never considered the beat player in the world over someone like Hod Stuart, who was considered that by some.

He's in the mix for guys I'd vote for after my favored 5 (the guys o listed above plus mike grant).

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
The problem with Patrick is how much of what he did as a "builder" gets credited to him as a player here. Was he really better on the ice than Moose Johnson, for example?

So why is Bain in discussion for a spot, let alone already voted in, at this point. If we take accomplishment only, there's at least a dozen if not more players that deserve recognition over Dan Bain.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So why is Bain in discussion for a spot, let alone already voted in, at this point. If we take accomplishment only, there's at least a dozen if not more players that deserve recognition over Dan Bain.

I get the point. I think it's that Bain was a player when he did his things of historical significance.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Patrick pretty much built a league while playing, so I would guess that would count as historical significance.

We really should discuss what criteria we should of use to enter a player in our hall.

Yeah, I wish we had a mission statement too, but I think it's being left intentionally vague.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Please send PM to voters with at least 24 hour notice regarding when votes are expected.

I'm certain of two of my votes, pretty confident in the third, but still weighing options regarding the fourth guy.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Patrick pretty much built a league while playing, so I would guess that would count as historical significance.

We really should discuss what criteria we should of use to enter a player in our hall.

Yeah, I wish we had a mission statement too, but I think it's being left intentionally vague.

I've stated before on this topic and for the voting here that I'm only going to take into account playing accomplishments (in time and context) and actual playing career.

There should be a separate category for builders IMO.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
MXD runs the thing but he hasn't been around for 3 days and seems to only be posting in the Habs forum.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
MXD runs the thing but he hasn't been around for 3 days and seems to only be posting in the Habs forum.

I've been assisting in the vote counting, but I only see four (4) votes from April 7 - 17. Not much to count. I'd suggest some activity to rescue this project!

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe I'm wrong on this but we seem to have been bogged down on which players should get in 1st rather than if guys should actually belong in the Hall or not.

Playoffs don't help either.

We should move forward because once we hit the NHL era I think it might become more streamlined or maybe I'm just dreaming...lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad