HOHHOF - Early Era - Round 2 Results

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Here are the results for Round 2 of the History of Hall Hall of Fame -- Early Era group.

There were 30 voters (120) votes submitted this time around. Participation level was quite stable, and there was some pretty interesting discussions as well. The discussions can be read here

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=869257

Welcome abord, Mr Frank Nighbor!

History of Hockey Hall of Fame -- Round 2
| Player | Votes | % of votes |
1| Frank Nighbor |27|90.00%
2| Russell 'Dubbie' Bowie |23|76.67%
3| Clint Benedict |21|70.00%
4| Sprague Cleghorn |18|60.00%
5| Joe Malone |13|43.33%
6| Dan Bain |7|23.33%
7| Cy Denneny |3|10.00%
8| Georges Vezina |2|6.67%
9| Frank McGee |2| 6.67%
10| Harvey Pulford |1|3.33%
11| Lester Patrick |1|3.33%
12| Dick Irvin |1|3.33%
13| Hobey Baker |1|3.33%

- At some point, Russel Bowie had 79.3% of the votes. If the voters number stays the same, Bowie needs only one other vote to get in. Benedict needs 3 votes.
- Interesting to see that Sprague Cleghorn passed Joe Malone (by quite a margin, I might add). Malone had received more votes than Cleghorn in round one.
- Dan Bain also passed Cy Denneny, who didn't win a single vote in this round. This said, one of the voters that had Denneny didn't cast a vote in this round.
- McGee and Pulford didn't win a single vote.
- I wondered when Hobey Baker would get his first vote. I expected either Round 2 or Round 3.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I did hope Bowie would get in this round, but it looks like he will likely be the next one in, so that's good. :)

ditto, kindof surprised he didn't to be honest. Next round is pretty open and shut for me given these results, but Round 4 should be interesting.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
So we should hopefully be wrapping this up just in time for Gretzky's 100th birthday? :amazed:
Come on folks, try and actually work together a bit to get these obvious ones in instead of making a solitary statement with votes.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So we should hopefully be wrapping this up just in time for Gretzky's 100th birthday? :amazed:
Come on folks, try and actually work together a bit to get these obvious ones in instead of making a solitary statement with votes.

The guys that don't get voted in will STILL be eligible in the chronological rounds.

That process is made to avoid blocking guys like (example on top of my head : Chuck Gardiner) to make it because it would be certainly logical to get Lalonde, Taylor, Nighbor, and a Gardiner contemporary in the HOHHOF before Gardiner.

Not to mention that comparing Benedict and Vezina is somewhat easier than comparing Gardiner and Vezina. Comparing Bowie to guys like Nighbor and Taylor certainly brings subjectivity, but is still easier than comparing Bowie to, let's say, Aurele Joliat.

This project had "long-term" written all over it since the start. I mean, there will be 70 years to cover.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

There are a certain number of rounds here. Voting more players in won't make it faster.

In my opinion, forcing a certain number of players through the doors each year is one of the biggest mistakes the real HHOF made. We shouldn't repeat it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Only 1 guy got in this time?

This thing is going to take forever under the current format, for better or worse.

I'll be back for arguments later.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I thought it was 10 round minimum, to be extended later if needed.

At this rate, at only 10 rounds, the early era will be really underrepresented.

The players WILL STILL BE ELIGIBLE.
However, they'll have to be written in first.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The players WILL STILL BE ELIGIBLE.
However, they'll have to be written in first.

I know they'll still be eligible, but...

Realistically, if they aren't getting in here, I don't see them getting in in the chronological rounds. Perhaps I'm wrong though; only time will tell.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Just to repeat it in this thread - you voters throwing votes away on minority players will have a much better chance and more rounds to plead your case for said players if you go with the majority now and vote the obvious players in early and get them out of the way.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I know they'll still be eligible, but...

Realistically, if they aren't getting in here, I don't see them getting in in the chronological rounds. Perhaps I'm wrong though; only time will tell.

Based on the voting so far, I see zero chance of a write-in candidate getting the votes necessary to get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad