HOHHOF - Early Era - Round 1 !

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nice.

There's roughly 30 ballots in at this point. I'll finalize this tomorrow.

DJ_Man is computing on his side as well, and was pretty advanced as well (actually, he was done... before the last 5 or 6 ballots came on).

There needs to be at least 4 other ballots for something to change in the inductees group. So far... not much statistical quirks, except...

- Only 5 guys got a voting% equal or over to 33%.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My part of the "counting" is done.
Waiting for DJ_Man to corroborate the results.

I don't think the results could change in regards to the inductees (but the voting itself could be different).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Some details to iron out.

Two guys are in.
One missed by a few votes.
And another reached 40%.

Once everything is mistake-proof, the results will be corrected. It won't change anything as far as inductees are concerned (but affect the % of one of them), and some additionnal players get their first vote.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Some details to iron out.

Two guys are in.
One missed by a few votes.
And another reached 40%.

Once everything is mistake-proof, the results will be corrected. It won't change anything as far as inductees are concerned (but affect the % of one of them), and some additionnal players get their first vote.

Just checking - as the results thread shows that only one player is in.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
For anyone still unsure of whether they are voting for Newsy Lalonde or Cyclone Taylor, I'd highly recommend browsing through the discussion for the last HOH Top 100 list. At that point, it was pretty much considered historical canon that those were the best two players of the pre-Morenz era. The only arguments were as to which one of the two were better and just how high they should be ranked against more modern players.

IMO, those two players should be shoo-ins for this round.

Arguments for the other two guys I'm currently planning on voting for (Nighbor and Bowie) are a bit more complicated. It's not historical canon that Nighbor is better than Joe Malone or Cy Denneny, but if you examine his career more closely, I'm certain that he was better than them. He really was considered the true superstar of the NHL's first dynasty. And I do find it interesting that Joe Malone's record setting season was largely due to beating up on Ottawa when Nighbor was out of the lineup due to bereavement leave. Once again, please see Nighbor's profile for details.

And prior to WW1, there really didn't seem to be any difference in quality between elite amateur and pro players. And Russel Bowie is the best amateur hockey player in history by far. So he gets my vote over any pre-WW1 pro player.

bereavement was 1919 playoffs. in 1918 nighbor missed about 1/2 of the season b/c of WW1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad