HOHHOF - Early Era - Round 1 Results

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
31 people sent their ballots. Quite satisfactory turnout, actually.

History of Hockey Hall of Fame -- Round 1
| Player | Votes | % of votes |
1| Cyclone Taylor |30|97%
2| Edouard "Newsey" Lalonde |28|90%
3| Frank Nighbor |22|71%
4| Russell "Dubbie" Bowie |14|45%
5| Clint Benedict |9|29%
6| Joe Malone |6|19%
7| Sprague Cleghorne |5|16%
8| Cy Denneny |3|10%
9| Dan Bain |2|6%
10| Frank McGee |2|6%
11| Harvey Pulford |1|3%
12| Babe Dye |1|3%
13| Robert McDougall |1|3%

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
While we haven't saw a clear vote-splitting beyond Taylor, Nighbor, Benedict, Bowie, Malone and Cleghorne ended up fighting for two spots. When Cleghorn barely gets 15% of the votes, it means that it was a very strong first crop.

Still, Frank Nighbor is pretty well positionned at this point for the next round.

Taylor and Lalonde were never really in danger of missing it.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I think the biggest question here is, who didn't vote for Taylor?

Interesting results here. Now that Taylor and Lalonde are out I imagine there might be even more vote splitting as (most) everyone has an extra two votes. Would seem that Nighbor and Bowie are locks, but I can see anything happening.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I think the biggest question here is, who didn't vote for Taylor?

Interesting results here. Now that Taylor and Lalonde are out I imagine there might be even more vote splitting as (most) everyone has an extra two votes. Would seem that Nighbor and Bowie are locks, but I can see anything happening.

Extra votes? I assumed everyone had 4 votes each round?
Could be misinterpreting what you are saying...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm impressed with the voting here. It looks like a very reasonable spread, and it looks like people took it seriously and made solid and informed votes.

Hopefully, we can keep it up!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I completely understand the reason for the 80% threshold, but if 71% isn't enough to get in, we are going to need more than 10 rounds of voting. Quite a few more.

I think 70ies meant that 71% was enough to make it next round.

As for the number of round, I think I clearly that it could be extended.

Don't forget : the guys in this round will STILL be eligible for write-in once the "regular" voting starts, so a guy that doesn't make it could very well make it in, say, 1942.

All in all, I wouldn't be surprised to see three guys in next round. It was rather close for Nighbor -- but in the end, I think it's right to have only Lalonde and Taylor for the 1st round (I didn't even vote for Nighbor in round 1, and I'm sure he was my 5th pick as well).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What will the length of time be for subsequent rounds? Still ten days or lower it to seven?

Well, I intend to keep it around 10 days -- or have the voting process ending on sundays. Give us a day or two to count everything (it was easy this time, as the votes weren't all sent on sunday night), and then another day to put up the next thread.

That'll give roughly 10 or 11 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->