HOH Top 100 List & Voting Record: God Bless Canada

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Lidstrom won't beat Orr's record. I have a sneaking suspicion that if he plays that long and is close to doing it there might be a Bourque/Messier situation he'd lose it to a less deserving player because of some shady voting. I just get the impression that there are enough Don Cherry disciples out there who'd prevent that from ever happening.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
As I've said before, there's a lot of good, but not a lot of great. If you look at the drafts from 1994 to 2001, there are a lot of good defencemen, but only one who looks to have a legit shot of the HHOF. That would be Chara. From 1979 to 1982, there were six bonafide HHOF defencemen.

It shouldn't be hard for people to look at that and realize that something is amiss.

I think the defencemen drafted from 2002 and on are really going to show that multiple defencemen can really stand out. I see big things for Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Staal, E. Johnson and Doughty. They're going to be sensational. And their success will prove that there was a legit gap in the pipeline. It happens.

Look at LW. Johnny Bucyk entered the league in 56. Bobby Hull and Frank Mahovlich came in the following year. We haven't had an all-time top 10 LW (maybe top 15) enter the league in 50 years. Shanahan's the closest. I've said that Ovechkin's the best LW to enter the league since the 50s, but that's partially a reflection of the state of LW.

Sports are cyclical. Sometimes you get some outstanding talent crammed into a few years. And other times, you go a long time without the big star, and fans are left clamouring for the next big thing.

I think Lidstrom will break Orr's record for Norris Trophies. Unless Pronger can bring it all together over the course of several seasons, or Bouwmeester, Chara and Phaneuf can close the gap, Lidstrom, with his smooth, efficient game that lends so well to longevity, will win the Norris Trophy for the next three to five years. But the question will remain: who did he beat? Nobody.
I agree with most of what you say, as usual. I do not penalize Lidstrom quite as much as you do though.

dcinroc

Jun 24, 2008
Taipei, Taiwan
Lidstrom won't beat Orr's record. I have a sneaking suspicion that if he plays that long and is close to doing it there might be a Bourque/Messier situation he'd lose it to a less deserving player because of some shady voting. I just get the impression that there are enough Don Cherry disciples out there who'd prevent that from ever happening.

It's possible that voters will go looking for ANY plausible candidate other than Lidstrom in an ABL vote (Anybody But Lidstrom). Not just for Orr's sake (or Beliveau's either), but voter fatigue.

Perhaps there will be joint Montreal-Boston campaign to stop Lidstrom. hehe

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

I though 2007 was the closest competition Lidstrom had in a long time. Pronger had a dominating regular season. Neidermayer was very good as well but playing on the same team probably split alot of votes.

If Bouwmeester gets traded to a higher profile team I could see him winning the Norris in the next year or two. On a better team his numbers will get a big jump and he'd be able to concentrate more on offense if his teammates arent so bad.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's possible that voters will go looking for ANY plausible candidate other than Lidstrom in an ABL vote (Anybody But Lidstrom). Not just for Orr's sake (or Beliveau's either), but voter fatigue.

Perhaps there will be joint Montreal-Boston campaign to stop Lidstrom. hehe

Care to explain the Montreal part?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
For the time being Harvey is still ahead with 7.

Ha!!! I wondered at first, because you were talking about the Hart at some point. And, well, Harvey has no Hart.

A 7th Norris WON'T make Lidstrom a better D-Men than Harvey ever was, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad