Off-Topic Chat Thread

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Heh, ya I have a buddy who really likes the Stones. I always say the problem is, the Stones just put out a bunch of junk after 1971 or so. But I still consider that a compliment...they had many great albums before that.

I think there are two automatics that would be in my jukebox.

1) Rush. Huge catalog and an ever-evolving sound. You like guitar rock? It's there. Synthesizers/80s sounds? Got those too. Stripped-down 90's era? Some solid work from that era. Modern day tunes that combine a lot of different elements? Check. I intentionally listen to every single album in their catalog, some more than others of course. The Gordie Howe of my jukebox.

2) The Doors. Small catalog compared to a lot of other famous bands, but there are very few songs that ever have me looking for the skip button. Not much not to like here, just too bad it ended with Jim Morrison's premature death. The Bobby Orr of the jukebox.

3) The Beatles. They're just...great. But I can't quite ascertain why exactly that is. Not overly complicated arrangements, nobody's instrument work is blowing you away on its own...but if I'm in a bar with a live band, be damned if I don't get excited when they drop a couple Beatles tracks on the crowd. The Gretzky of the jukebox.

Now it gets tougher....do I try to throw some more variety in there? Or just stick to the glorious 1960s?

-I think the Stones just have too much material I don't want to hear. They probably make it if they'd hung em up in the mid 70's. The Paul Coffey of the jukebox.

-The Byrds are close enough to the Beatles that I think only one of them makes the cut, and the Beatles are already in. A Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman of the jukebox.

-Led Zeppelin is a little one-dimensional, and there are some questions about how much credit they actually deserve, considering their propensity for "borrowing" material. The Phil Esposito of the jukebox.

-Who's Next and Tommy are such great albums. And The Who have other good ones as well. But there's definitely some forgettable material sprinkled in there. The Dominik Hasek of the jukebox.

-Cream. A surprise entrant, but I'm seriously considering them. The extremely small catalog is their biggest drawback, but there aren't really any songs at all that I wouldn't want to listen to. Blend of blues roots, instrument virtuosity, and uniqueness. The Valeri Kharlamov of the jukebox.

-The Kinks. I like everything I've heard, but some of these tracks are hard to find. At least for somebody like myself who, believe it or not, still prefers to go to a brick-and-mortar store to purchase an album. They make it on the surface, but there is a lot of material I simply haven't heard. It would be a leap of faith to include them without more in-depth research. The Lennart Svedberg of the jukebox.

-Guns n Roses. Somebody modern for a change of pace. But another contender with a problematically small catalog. Very polarizing band. The Eric Lindros of the jukebox.

This is the best post I've read on HOH this year. I love the Kinks=Svedberg analogy.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Heh, ya I have a buddy who really likes the Stones. I always say the problem is, the Stones just put out a bunch of junk after 1971 or so. But I still consider that a compliment...they had many great albums before that.

I think there are two automatics that would be in my jukebox.

1) Rush. Huge catalog and an ever-evolving sound. You like guitar rock? It's there. Synthesizers/80s sounds? Got those too. Stripped-down 90's era? Some solid work from that era. Modern day tunes that combine a lot of different elements? Check. I intentionally listen to every single album in their catalog, some more than others of course. The Gordie Howe of my jukebox.

2) The Doors. Small catalog compared to a lot of other famous bands, but there are very few songs that ever have me looking for the skip button. Not much not to like here, just too bad it ended with Jim Morrison's premature death. The Bobby Orr of the jukebox.

3) The Beatles. They're just...great. But I can't quite ascertain why exactly that is. Not overly complicated arrangements, nobody's instrument work is blowing you away on its own...but if I'm in a bar with a live band, be damned if I don't get excited when they drop a couple Beatles tracks on the crowd. The Gretzky of the jukebox.

Now it gets tougher....do I try to throw some more variety in there? Or just stick to the glorious 1960s?

-I think the Stones just have too much material I don't want to hear. They probably make it if they'd hung em up in the mid 70's. The Paul Coffey of the jukebox.

-The Byrds are close enough to the Beatles that I think only one of them makes the cut, and the Beatles are already in. A Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman of the jukebox.

-Led Zeppelin is a little one-dimensional, and there are some questions about how much credit they actually deserve, considering their propensity for "borrowing" material. The Phil Esposito of the jukebox.

-Who's Next and Tommy are such great albums. And The Who have other good ones as well. But there's definitely some forgettable material sprinkled in there. The Dominik Hasek of the jukebox.

-Cream. A surprise entrant, but I'm seriously considering them. The extremely small catalog is their biggest drawback, but there aren't really any songs at all that I wouldn't want to listen to. Blend of blues roots, instrument virtuosity, and uniqueness. The Valeri Kharlamov of the jukebox.

-The Kinks. I like everything I've heard, but some of these tracks are hard to find. At least for somebody like myself who, believe it or not, still prefers to go to a brick-and-mortar store to purchase an album. They make it on the surface, but there is a lot of material I simply haven't heard. It would be a leap of faith to include them without more in-depth research. The Lennart Svedberg of the jukebox.

-Guns n Roses. Somebody modern for a change of pace. But another contender with a problematically small catalog. Very polarizing band. The Eric Lindros of the jukebox.

I like the mention of The Who. Who's Next is certainly one of my 'desert island records'. Of the albums you didn't mention by name, imo Quadrophenia is a very good album/'rock-opera' as well, and like you said, they have other good stuff ("Substitute" and "Who Are You" being particular favourite songs of mine). They were a lot more than just "My Generation".

I'm slightly bored with Led Zeppelin, maybe I listened them too much as a teenager? However, I wouldn't call them one-dimensional; I think they at least tried many different things especially on their later albums, whether one considers the experiments succesful or not. Yeah, they did "borrow" a lot; their first album the most glaring example of that.

Never cared much for Cream or Guns N' Roses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I like the mention of The Who. Who's Next is certainly one of my 'desert island records'. Of the albums you didn't mention, imo Quadrophenia is a very good album/''rock-opera" as well, and like you said, they have other good songs ("Substitute" and "Who Are You" being a particular favourites of mine). They were a lot more than just "My Generation".

I'm slightly bored with Led Zeppelin, maybe I listened them too much as a teenager? However, I wouldn't call them one-dimensional; I think they at least tried many different things especially on their later albums, whether one considers the experiments succesful or not. Yeah, they did "borrow" a lot; their first album the most glaring example of that.

Never cared much for Cream or Guns N' Roses.

You're right; "one-dimensional" is probably the wrong way to describe Led Zeppelin. Their best albums (for me, that's the first four in general although I do like Presence as well) are somewhat similar though. But yeah, obviously nowhere near an AC/DC or Black Sabbath (love both these bands of course) in terms of one-dimensional.

Like you, I also grew bored with Zeppelin over the years. I would have certainly had them on my desert island jukebox if you asked me ten years ago. I don't listen to them that often anymore though. Their debut album is still in my regular rotation, but that's about it. I also run long distance and I find Presence is a good album to listen to on longer training runs.

Not as high on Guns n Roses as I was in the past, either. You can only spin the same 4 albums so many times before you just don't really need to hear them again.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Simple question... what does your forum name mean and/or why are you using it.

Me, Danny Gallivan was the voice of my childhood.

My name means I put hardly any thought in at all or I would have picked something more clever and associated with hockey. That and I have a collection of Tarantulas.............

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Venturing outside of classical rock, I'd bring Iron Maiden's catalogue in my backpack for the 'desert island'. I even like the Bayley albums.

Grew up on classic rock but to be honest I likely would choose Jazz over it now for the desert isle, Oscar Peterson, Barney Kessel, Cannonball Adderly......but I would rather forego any recorded music and in lieu of bring my guitar.

Reactions: ehhedler

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know why band's catalogue I'd bring on a desert island. It WOULD have to be a band with a somewhat diverse discography though, so no "limited" bands like, I don't know and those two things aren't in any way related, Iron Maiden or Underworld.

Reactions: Killion

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Venturing outside of classical rock, I'd bring Iron Maiden's catalogue in my backpack for the 'desert island'. I even like the Bayley albums.

Iron Maiden was my top pick for this thought exercise. They have a large discography (sixteen studio albums) and, at least in my mind, only one really bad album ("No Prayer for the Dying" - and even that has its moments).

A lot of the other artists that I'd pick have released numerous studio albums I don't care to sit through (Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Slayer, etc). I don't want to spend my time on this idyllic island listening to Slayer's inferior rehashes of their first five albums, or crappy 1980s Sabbath records, or everything ever released by the maddeningly inconsistent King Crimson.

I'm a big fan of the Blaze albums. "The X Factor" is one of Maiden's best albums (and one of the best albums of nineties, period). Go and see him live if you can (he should be doing a tour of North America next spring).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Slow down.

But yeah - Maiden already pretty much is that for me. I might also take Wu-Tang if I get all of the solo projects as well.

Iron Maiden was my top pick for this thought exercise. They have a large discography (sixteen studio albums) and, at least in my mind, only one really bad album ("No Prayer for the Dying" - and even that has its moments).

A lot of the other artists that I'd pick have released numerous studio albums I don't care to sit through (Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Slayer, etc). I don't want to spend my time on this idyllic island listening to Slayer's inferior rehashes of their first five albums, or crappy 1980s Sabbath records, or the maddeningly inconsistent King Crimson.

I'm a big fan of the Blaze albums. "The X Factor" is one of Maiden's best albums (and one of the best albums of nineties, period). Go and see him live if you can (he should be doing a tour of North America next spring).

I wasn't a big fan of the Book of Souls. Felt like they were trying to jam 8 "Hallowed Be Thy Names" onto one album and it didn't really work.

And on one hand, you call X Factor one of Maiden's best albums (it's like 12th at best?), while knocking "80s Sabbath" (which I read as a knock on Dio-led Sabbath, who was so far superior to Ozzy it's not even funny)... you and me just aren't on the same page here.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If I was on a deserted island for decades and needed to bring a limited amount of music I'd choose something like "ambiance music", the type where the songs are lasting 20 minutes, are changing continuously and are subtle (meaning they don't attack your senses).Else regardless of what you bring your brain will become so used to it that you'll stop listening.It just becomes noise after a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Engine

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

A lot of the other artists that I'd pick have released numerous studio albums I don't care to sit through (Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Slayer, etc). I don't want to spend my time on this idyllic island listening to Slayer's inferior rehashes of their first five albums, or crappy 1980s Sabbath records, or everything ever released by the maddeningly inconsistent King Crimson.

I think Fear of the Dark was pretty weak (except Afraid to Shoot Strangers which is great) as well. My favorite of Iron Maiden is Somewhere In Time, not a dull moment.

Slow down.

But yeah - Maiden already pretty much is that for me. I might also take Wu-Tang if I get all of the solo projects as well.

I wasn't a big fan of the Book of Souls. Felt like they were trying to jam 8 "Hallowed Be Thy Names" onto one album and it didn't really work.

And on one hand, you call X Factor one of Maiden's best albums (it's like 12th at best?), while knocking "80s Sabbath" (which I read as a knock on Dio-led Sabbath, who was so far superior to Ozzy it's not even funny)... you and me just aren't on the same page here.

Bayley brought a darker element to Iron Maiden that I liked. But then again I prefer both Di'Anno and Bayley to Dickinson as singers. I get that Dickinson is technically a better singer but I've never been a fan of the more high-pitched style he has. Give me dark, raspy-ish voices.

What'd be the Metallica version in ice hockey? The four albums in the 80's were awesome, The Black Album pretty good IMO, Load is better than its reputation and Death Magnetic decent. Rest is garbage (or in the player's case of no note). Terry Sawchuk maybe?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I think Fear of the Dark was pretty weak (except Afraid to Shoot Strangers which is great) as well. My favorite of Iron Maiden is Somewhere In Time, not a dull moment.

Bayley brought a darker element to Iron Maiden that I liked. But then again I prefer both Di'Anno and Bayley to Dickinson as singers. I get that Dickinson is technically a better singer but I've never been a fan of the more high-pitched style he has. Give me dark, raspy-ish voices.

What'd be the Metallica version in ice hockey? The four albums in the 80's were awesome, The Black Album pretty good IMO, Load is better than its reputation and Death Magnetic decent. Rest is garbage (or in the player's case of no note). Terry Sawchuk maybe?
Someone with a good but overrated peak behind a less known but superior player (Megadeth).

Fear of the Dark and No Prayer are the two weakest Dickinson albums (until Book of Souls). My favorite has to be Powerslave though. Just play the last two songs and enjoy 22 minutes of awesome.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

I found "Book of Souls" to be inconsistent. The highs were great, but I skip over a lot of tracks. A below average Maiden album for me, overall.

I'm definitely in the minority on "The X Factor". I'd probably rank it as their 3rd or 4th best. But I realize most Maiden fans would probably rate it as 3rd or 4th worst.

For Sabbath - their first six albums might be my favourite six consecutive albums from any artist. But I have no interest in anything after that.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I found "Book of Souls" to be inconsistent. The highs were great, but I skip over a lot of tracks. A below average Maiden album for me, overall.

I'm definitely in the minority on "The X Factor". I'd probably rank it as their 3rd or 4th best. But I realize most Maiden fans would probably rate it as 3rd or 4th worst.

For Sabbath - their first six albums might be my favourite six consecutive albums from any artist. But I have no interest in anything after that.
Original Sabbath had some fantastic albums and classic songs, but outside of a handful I think Ozzy was more of a hindrance than a help.

I don't know if you've heard Live Evil - it's Dio-era Sabbath. Sings a lot of stuff from Heaven and Hell and Mob rules (Heaven and Hell being my favorite Sabbath album), but a good bit of older Sabbath too. For some songs, Ozzy sounds better because it fits with the tone more, but I really loved Dio on War Pigs. Just made the song so much better in my opinion.

Reactions: Tarantula

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
My name isn't Johnny, John, Johnathan or Johnald, but I was in a band whose name sort of phonetically sounds like "Johnny Engine", despite being nothing of the sort. My drummer and I were once recognized while out on the town by someone who was so drunk that "Johnny Engine" was the only words they could form at us.

I'd bring Radiohead and the Beatles, who are in an elevated tier of their own for me, and they both have a healthy-sized discography and a lot of good B-sides and extra material. Pearl Jam seems like a good choice, mainly because of the 72 live albums they released in 2001, and their solid mix of live covers songs. J-Dilla offers you 24 albums worth of chill lofi hip hop beats, and is even more valuable if you allow his production credits to come with him. Sigur Ros doesn't have quite as much material as the rest of those, but their albums are mostly all long and they're my go-to candles and blankets soundtrack.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'd bring Radiohead...

I see..... So, let me get this straight Johnny.... youve just survived either a plane crash or your ship/yacht going down with very likely some major loss of life... you somehow managed to survive, marooned on an uncharted island miles upon miles off course without really any hope of rescue whatsoever, slim to nil... no food, no matches, no nothing but for magically a Juke Box filled with your choices... no nickles required... and you wanna listen to the ever depressing near on suicidal Thom Yorke & Radiohead 's angst ridden, beyond gloomy warblings written by & for those who suffer from mood disorders, PTSD, societal detachment and other issues... on an island... with no food, no shelter, no hope of rescue?.... Right on. Excellent choice... Lets start with "How to Disappear Completely" followed by that poppy & upbeat number, the appropriately titled "High & Dry"... then as you weakly head for the beach, last swim or lie dying of malnutrition, starvation & depression, blind, 3rd degree sunburn.... "The Exit Song". I can diggit.....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ironically enough the last choice I would ever have for the deserted island scenario would be the Beach Boys......

Indeed not.... though I do like Rammsteins ode or take on the early 60's Jan & Dean, Beach Boys Surf Culture; www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iaxDxHUWP8 ... and... their entire discography would certainly keep one amused, entertained.... from Beach Blanket Bingo to the seriously disturbed.... www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBvwcH4XX6U ... these guys bring a lot to the party. Never be bored on your atoll with those maniacs running around the island Tarantula. Uh?

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Grew up on classic rock but to be honest I likely would choose Jazz over it now for the desert isle, Oscar Peterson, Barney Kessel, Cannonball Adderly......but I would rather forego any recorded music and in lieu of bring my guitar.

Ah, his version of "Autumn Leaves" (though arranged by Miles Davis who plays on it too) is a super classic:

I prefer the new(est) one hugely over Death Magnetic, and it's not gargabe at all. :nod:

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I prefer the new(est) one hugely over Death Magnetic, and it's not gargabe at all. :nod:

Hm..I probably listened to Hardwire to Destruct twice or so, maybe I should re-visit.

Radiohead was a good mention, though they lost me at King of Limbs. In Rainbows is up there for albums in the 00's.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad