Off-Topic Chat Thread

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yes, but this was in the early 90s, long before it was cool. ehhedler is always before his time. :rolleyes:

And it wasn't a little hedgehog, it was normal sized. The real deal.

.... :laugh: yeah, what @Troubadour suggesting much more a modern affectation, trend..... I imagined a full sized feral Hedgehog.... young ehhedler prolly a big fan of the Beverley Hillbillies... inspired by Ellie Mae Clampett and her adoption, domestication of wild critters.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
This reminds me of something I bring up with new people I meet, I call it the desert island question.

Suppose you are on a desert island for the rest of your life and all of your needs are met, except for social ones, no cell, no tv, cable ect..

What you do have is one kiss ass juke box stereophonic system that you can choose, the only caveat is that you can only have the entire playlists of 5 artists and that you can play them randomly and you have to listen to all of the titles.

The best example I can think of is that if one picks, say the Rolling Stones, they must listen to dancing in the streets and emotional rescue and not just their early catalog.

Most people pick large catalogs and have their one or two favorite bands of all time, usually a teen and adult time period frame but then it gets difficult mainly because we live in an excess society and it's hard to limit ourselves.

Heh, ya I have a buddy who really likes the Stones. I always say the problem is, the Stones just put out a bunch of junk after 1971 or so. But I still consider that a compliment...they had many great albums before that.

I think there are two automatics that would be in my jukebox.

1) Rush. Huge catalog and an ever-evolving sound. You like guitar rock? It's there. Synthesizers/80s sounds? Got those too. Stripped-down 90's era? Some solid work from that era. Modern day tunes that combine a lot of different elements? Check. I intentionally listen to every single album in their catalog, some more than others of course. The Gordie Howe of my jukebox.

2) The Doors. Small catalog compared to a lot of other famous bands, but there are very few songs that ever have me looking for the skip button. Not much not to like here, just too bad it ended with Jim Morrison's premature death. The Bobby Orr of the jukebox.

3) The Beatles. They're just...great. But I can't quite ascertain why exactly that is. Not overly complicated arrangements, nobody's instrument work is blowing you away on its own...but if I'm in a bar with a live band, be damned if I don't get excited when they drop a couple Beatles tracks on the crowd. The Gretzky of the jukebox.

Now it gets tougher....do I try to throw some more variety in there? Or just stick to the glorious 1960s?

-I think the Stones just have too much material I don't want to hear. They probably make it if they'd hung em up in the mid 70's. The Paul Coffey of the jukebox.

-The Byrds are close enough to the Beatles that I think only one of them makes the cut, and the Beatles are already in. A Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman of the jukebox.

-Led Zeppelin is a little one-dimensional, and there are some questions about how much credit they actually deserve, considering their propensity for "borrowing" material. The Phil Esposito of the jukebox.

-Who's Next and Tommy are such great albums. And The Who have other good ones as well. But there's definitely some forgettable material sprinkled in there. The Dominik Hasek of the jukebox.

-Cream. A surprise entrant, but I'm seriously considering them. The extremely small catalog is their biggest drawback, but there aren't really any songs at all that I wouldn't want to listen to. Blend of blues roots, instrument virtuosity, and uniqueness. The Valeri Kharlamov of the jukebox.

-The Kinks. I like everything I've heard, but some of these tracks are hard to find. At least for somebody like myself who, believe it or not, still prefers to go to a brick-and-mortar store to purchase an album. They make it on the surface, but there is a lot of material I simply haven't heard. It would be a leap of faith to include them without more in-depth research. The Lennart Svedberg of the jukebox.

-Guns n Roses. Somebody modern for a change of pace. But another contender with a problematically small catalog. Very polarizing band. The Eric Lindros of the jukebox.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yes, but this was in the early 90s, long before it was cool. ehhedler is always before his time. :rolleyes:

And it wasn't a little hedgehog, it was normal sized. The real deal.

AB185CEB-0A12-4872-811D-4ABC8122FD01.png

such a dangerous rebel, ehhedler

my brother desperately wanted one in the early 90s. i think sonic the hedgehog made it a thing.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Heh, ya I have a buddy who really likes the Stones. I always say the problem is, the Stones just put out a bunch of junk after 1971 or so. But I still consider that a compliment...they had many great albums before that.

1) Rush. Huge catalog and an ever-evolving sound. You like guitar rock? It's there. Synthesizers/80s sounds? Got those too. Stripped-down 90's era? Some solid work from that era. Modern day tunes that combine a lot of different elements? Check. I intentionally listen to every single album in their catalog, some more than others of course. The Gordie Howe of my jukebox.

2) The Doors. Small catalog compared to a lot of other famous bands, but there are very few songs that ever have me looking for the skip button. Not much not to like here, just too bad it ended with Jim Morrison's premature death. The Bobby Orr of the jukebox.

3) The Beatles. They're just...great. But I can't quite ascertain why exactly that is. Not overly complicated arrangements, nobody's instrument work is blowing you away on its own...but if I'm in a bar with a live band, be damned if I don't get excited when they drop a couple Beatles tracks on the crowd. The Gretzky of the jukebox.

Now it gets tougher....do I try to throw some more variety in there? Or just stick to the glorious 1960s?

-I think the Stones just have too much material I don't want to hear. They probably make it if they'd hung em up in the mid 70's. The Paul Coffey of the jukebox.

-The Byrds are close enough to the Beatles that I think only one of them makes the cut, and the Beatles are already in. A Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman of the jukebox.

-Led Zeppelin is a little one-dimensional, and there are some questions about how much credit they actually deserve, considering their propensity for "borrowing" material. The Phil Esposito of the jukebox.

-Who's Next and Tommy are such great albums. And The Who have other good ones as well. But there's definitely some forgettable material sprinkled in there. The Dominik Hasek of the jukebox.

-Cream. A surprise entrant, but I'm seriously considering them. The extremely small catalog is their biggest drawback, but there aren't really any songs at all that I wouldn't want to listen to. Blend of blues roots, instrument virtuosity, and uniqueness. The Valeri Kharlamov of the jukebox.

-The Kinks. I like everything I've heard, but some of these tracks are hard to find. At least for somebody like myself who, believe it or not, still prefers to go to a brick-and-mortar store to purchase an album. They make it on the surface, but there is a lot of material I simply haven't heard. It would be a leap of faith to include them without more in-depth research. The Lennart Svedberg of the jukebox.

-Guns n Roses. Somebody modern for a change of pace. But another contender with a problematically small catalog. Very polarizing band. The Eric Lindros of the jukebox.

Excellent choices, certainly agree with you on the Stones, Zeppelin.... Nice to see you mentioning Cream and yes, if you havent already do give them plenty of ear, time.... The Kinks a highly amusing band.... I could add much to that playlist that I'm sure you'd love but thats pretty good for a start.

Also thanks to @Theokritos for converting this thread. Loosen things up a bit, HOH Lounge. Good job. :thumbu:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not surprised by this, it being illegal here, but I think I was under 15 and thus not at an age of criminal responsibility.

I see... and did you replace the vanishing Hedgehog with a member of the genus Bufo Alvarius... aka Sonoran Desert Toad?.... milking & then curing its toxins to provide yourself & friends with the residual psychoactive & hallucinogenic effects when then smoked through a glass pipe?.. or did you foolishly simply lick its back expecting said results and then when nothing happened, gave up on that as well?... also highly illegal but now that the cat is out of the bag.... My God ehhedler. What a piece of work. Unreal.

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

I’m about to enter my Mark Messier = Madonna theory again.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Messier used a fake British accent during his time in Vancouver, that's why everyone hated him...
And Madonna faked her Spanish accent in Evita ......Eva Peron simultaneously the most beloved and hated woman in Argentina, a Messierish figure? .....I’m hoping Quoipourquoi can take full advantage of this segue and lay out the Messier = Madonna thesis.

Reactions: Killion

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Pssh, please, I'm right there with ya...last time I was at a place asks for your name to associate with your order (like a Chik-Fil-A, for instance) I told them my name was "Daddy"...and then I don't respond right away so this poor person is holding a bag of chicken fuglets or whatever and is just yelling "Daddy!" "Daddy!" and looking around hopelessly...

I am not a good person.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And Madonna faked her Spanish accent in Evita ......Eva Peron simultaneously the most beloved and hated woman in Argentina, a Messierish figure? .....I’m hoping Quoipourquoi can take full advantage of this segue and lay out the Messier = Madonna thesis.

Ah ok.... wasnt sure what qpq was on about there but yes, she very... VERY pretensiously adopted an English accent when she married filmmaker & Director Guy Ritchie, moved to the UK. Since divorced of course.... Rather amusingly as well, back in the 60's with the popularity & rage over all of the British Invasion bands, the band that eventually morphed into Steppenwolf originally formed in Oshawa, taking up residence in Toronto for a time before heading to NY & CA affected fake British accents as well at the insistence of its then leader "Jack London", then known as Jack London & the Sparrows, Mighty Sparrows, Bow Street Runners....

John Kay, who's childhood reads like something straight out of a Dostoyevsky novel was born in 1944 in East Prussia, now Sovetsk, Kalningrad Oblast Russia, his father killed a month before he was born, his mother fleeing the advancing Soviet Troops by rail in the worst possible winter conditions imaginable with tens of thousands, fruitlessly winding up in the Soviet occupied zone of East Germany before again making a break for it in 1949, winding up in Hanover West Germany... eventually emigrating to Canada. So John there, told to affect a "fake" British accent about the farthest thing from an English Mod or Rocker, English Dandy as one could be. Fortunately for those of us who appreciate his & Steppenwolfs body of work, dropped the facade, got real, wrote some fabulous pieces.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Pssh, please, I'm right there with ya...last time I was at a place asks for your name to associate with your order (like a Chik-Fil-A, for instance) I told them my name was "Daddy"...and then I don't respond right away so this poor person is holding a bag of chicken fuglets or whatever and is just yelling "Daddy!" "Daddy!" and looking around hopelessly...

I am not a good person.
That is freakin hilarious! Mind if I use it this afternoon? Meeting a few friends at a Starbucks, where the barista will need to write my name on the cup and then call my name when the order’s ready. Maybe just for kicks I’ll go with “Mommy?”

Reactions: Tarantula

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
And Madonna faked her Spanish accent in Evita ......

Well isn't that what actors supposed to do? If someone cast me as say H.C. Andersen I would have to speak "fake" Danish, so to speak. Did you know Andersen stalked to death his friendship with Charles Dickens, at Dickens' family home in Kent, by the way? And Dickens was not impressed with Andersen's language skills, according to found letters retelling the visit:

“He spoke French like Peter the Wild Boy and English like the Deaf and Dumb School,”
complained the great author, making a cruel reference to the well-known story of a feral German boy "Peter", an ungainly court favourite in Georgian England.

And, according to the reluctant host, Andersen was no better in any other language:

“He could not pronounce the name of his own book The Improvisatore, in Italian;
and his translatress appears to make out that he can’t speak Danish”

See, not even the greatest Danish writer could speak Danish properly. How's anyone else supposed to do it then? :dunno:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Simple question... what does your forum name mean and/or why are you using it.

Me, Danny Gallivan was the voice of my childhood.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Simple question... what does your forum name mean and/or why are you using it.

Me, Danny Gallivan was the voice of my childhood.

Mine is my actual name. Also the voice of my childhood.

I was a writer here for 9 years, so we were required to use our real names...never changed it to anything more anonymous...you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube anyhow...

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Mine is my actual name. Also the voice of my childhood.

I was a writer here for 9 years, so we were required to use our real names...never changed it to anything more anonymous...you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube anyhow...
Ah, so you are the Mike Farkas of lore. I thought you were a myth!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->