Off-Topic Chat Thread

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
t Wayne & Brent Gretzky hold the record for most points in the NHL by brothers.... Wayne with 2857.... Brent with 4. :(

I remember sitting with a friend when Brent scored and we joked along the same lines, how Wayne was part of another record this time without lifting a finger.

Theo Fleury holds the record as the only player to ever score a Shorthanded Hat Trick in a single game.....

Have to see the works on that, three shorties in one night, interested in those details.

How about Norm Ullman, I have a old hockey puck here as a paper weight that states he scored 2 goals in 5 secs in a playoff game. Was one a empty netter?

Forgotten classic albums.... But Seriously Folks, Joe Walsh, especially Theme from Boat Weirdos...........

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yeah, that was a Jagger/Bowie deal...in the 80's the Stones split up ("we were on a break!") and did some solo stuff...after a very successful Tattoo You tour in 1981...they wouldn't tour again until Steel Wheels in 1989 (which I think had some concerts available via pay-per-view in the States)...they released probably their worst effort (Dirty Work) in 1986 but didn't even back it with a tour. I think the only song from that album that was ever even used in concert was "One Hit" which comes with one of the most 80's music videos of all time...come to think of it, I may have heard a live version of "Harlem Shuffle" by accident once upon a time, but that could have been a bad dream...

They put out Undercover in 1983, but it was really just garbage out takes of previous recording sessions...probably the album I have listened to the least as I forget it exists and I recently passed it with "Their Satanic Majesties Request" which is their lone attempt at psychedelic rock...I didn't understand it the first few times, but recently, I've started to get it...it needs context...

If you work your way into Emotional Rescue and don't mind the late 70's/early 80's club music that they tried to churn out ("Hot Stuff", "Hey Negrita", "Miss You"), it's pretty acceptable...if you skip from their peak (which I'll grant all the way up to IORR because of how strong that album starts) right up to Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You, it catches you a little off guard. Mick starts experimenting with different voice work and intonation pretty hard during Black and Blue (1976 - an album I hated until just recently, now very much enjoy)...

Black and Blue has a reggae influence (classic "Start Me Up" was first recorded in 1975 as a reggae song, before being used to kick off Tattoo You...and every sporting event in history apparently) and Billy Preston influence...Mick starts to investigate the falsetto (tail end of "Cherry Oh Baby", "Melody" and then plenty of "Fool to Cry") and this gravely growling ("Hand of Fate", "Melody", "Crazy Mama" and only the music video version of "Fool to Cry", but not the studio track, IIRC)

Thus...you end up with some different albums over the next few...punk/faster tunes (which Keith hated) during the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sessions, disco, plus the rock/southern blues/American county influences that they never quite leave behind)...

Considering how much ground they cover and how much diversity they offer, I'd take the Stones for this exercise quite easily...if that wasn't evident already haha

Jeez, it sounds like if we ranked their albums from 1 to 27, we'd have them in almost the exact order.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
If my tastes weren't so fickle with them, I would go down the road...hell, I would go down that road anyhow haha...

Here I thought, hey maybe I'm not the resident hockey expert, maybe I am at least the resident Stones expert...maybe not.

I'm named after the lead singer, thanks to having uncreative parents and being an accident, so if nothing else I know my own story...would be happy to entertain album and track talk in this thread...in fact, skip the top 100 thing all together...

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... being an accident

... I see..... "an accident"..... explains a lot Mr. Farkas. Born a Bastard.... Your constant stream of contemptible comments & behaviour is therefore entirely excusable. Its just your nature. Prick. Bastard. Free Pass Baby. Now..... I wonder what some others here excuse's might be? Alcohol? Drugs? Mommy & Daddy didnt get you that Pony you wished for so badly.... while you & the family were living in an apartment?... Where did you plan to keep it, on the balcony?

Ha? :elf:

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Farkas

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If my tastes weren't so fickle with them, I would go down the road...hell, I would go down that road anyhow haha...

Here I thought, hey maybe I'm not the resident hockey expert, maybe I am at least the resident Stones expert...maybe not.

I'm named after the lead singer, thanks to having uncreative parents and being an accident, so if nothing else I know my own story...would be happy to entertain album and track talk in this thread...in fact, skip the top 100 thing all together...

Alright, I'll give it a go.

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Beggars Banquet
Tattoo You
Some Girls
Let it Bleed
Goats Head soup
It's only Rock and Roll
December's Children
Steel Wheels
Out of our Heads
A Bigger Bang
The Rolling Stones, now!
12X5
England's Newest Hit Makers
Emotional rescue
Blue and lonesome
Undercover
Their Satanic Magesties Request
Black and blue
Bridges to Babylon
Voodoo lounge
Dirty work

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018

You've got that one wrong all the way. Too many good tunes. On the other hand, I like seeing Between the Buttons ranked so high. I would switch Aftermath and Beggars Banquet though. And put TSMR right behind Aftermath.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Mommy & Daddy didnt get you that Pony you wished for so badly.... while you & the family were living in an apartment?... Where did you plan to keep it, on the balcony?

I once had a hedgehog on our balcony, but it escaped/disappeared pretty quickly. It must have jumped from the second floor. Or, parents removed it behind my back. Think they should be able to tell me that now though, if the case, cause it happened a quarter a century ago.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I once had a hedgehog on our balcony, but it escaped/disappeared pretty quickly. It must have jumped from the second floor. Or, parents removed it behind my back. Think they should be able to tell me that now though, if the case, cause it happened a quarter a century ago.

..... :laugh: too funny. very ah, unusual... Hedgehog as a pet.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Alright, I'll give it a go.

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Beggars Banquet
Tattoo You
Some Girls
Let it Bleed
Goats Head soup
It's only Rock and Roll
December's Children
Steel Wheels
Out of our Heads
A Bigger Bang
The Rolling Stones, now!
12X5
England's Newest Hit Makers
Emotional rescue
Blue and lonesome
Undercover
Black and blue
Bridges to Babylon
Voodoo lounge
Dirty work

Is this your actual "Ranking" of their albums 70's?...... Look Man, they havent put out a decent FULL album since Sticky Fingers, maybe Goats Head though even there inconsistencies. You'll get the odd decent enough track on things like Some Girls & so on but really, they "peaked" mid 70's & that was that as far as I'm concerned. Running on fumes ever since. Love their early works, first decades worth but even then, I found their albums inconsistent. Filler tracks. Weak tea.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
..... :laugh: too funny. very ah, unusual... Hedgehog as a pet.

Not really. Many people keep hedgehogs these days, especially the little hedgehogs. You can tell they prefer staying away from baths, good swimmers/floaters nonetheless:

I once had a hedgehog on our balcony, but it escaped/disappeared pretty quickly. It must have jumped from the second floor. Or, parents removed it behind my back. Think they should be able to tell me that now though, if the case, cause it happened a quarter a century ago

You know what? It could have been some sort of an owl or marten. Especially martens are not only capable of stealing a hedgehog and climbing two floors down. They can climb the same distance up and more, even carrying a hedgehog. So I would say your hedgehog was hunted down by a marten, owl or... your parents.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not really. Many people keep hedgehogs these days, especially the little hedgehogs. You can tell they prefer staying away from baths, good swimmers/floaters nonetheless:

Cute lil critter's. Not domesticated though uh? I can well imagine those things flying across the room, clamping onto ones nose like a Lion taking down a Gazelle on the Kalahari so the very thought of keeping one as a "pet"?... mind you, I've had cats that have done that to me as well though they wouldnt eat you after you'd lost consciousness....

Last edited:

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Cute lil critter's. Not domesticated though uh? I can well imagine those things flying across the room, clamping onto ones nose like a Lion taking down a Gazelle on the Kalahari so the very thought of keeping one as a "pet"?... mind you, I've had cats that have done that to me as well though they wouldnt eat you after you'd lost consciousness....

Totally domesticated. It is called the African Pygmy Hedgehog, and as a pet, it's growing in popularity all around the world.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Owls, fascinating creatures, very majestic looking when one perches nearby. Used to have one that would fly into the barn at night and literally drag away a small rooster over the chicken wire, I stopped burying any roosters that died and it eventually would eat them and leave the live ones alone. That cost me quite a bit of money that summer.

Another fascinating creature is the octopus, amazing how nimble and intelligent it is.......

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
the sublime end of beggars banquet, with factory girl then salt of the earth, is my stones #1.

Awesome album, I have what has to be one of the original or early presses, stolen from my older cousins. Blue lable London Records, THICK vinyl, tattered cover. One side is scratched though. Jigsaw Puzzle can stay in my head for hours.

Still like to strum Prodigal Son on my acoustic every so often.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Owls, fascinating creatures, very majestic looking when one perches nearby....

Amazing creatures, ya. Stunningly beautiful. Barn Owls a particular favorite of mine, sounds like yours too. Like many creatures, forest & fawna that grow to supersize in the Pacific Northwest I was absolutely shocked, quite the experience burned into the mind when I first saw one out here years ago. Without a lie, the wingspan on it was as wide as the double lane middle of nowhere mountain road I was driving on late one night, diving silently right at the windshield blotting out the moon, stars, raking the hood of the car with its talons before clearing the roof.... Seriously I thought it was that creature from Jeepers Creepers & drove right off the road totally freaked. Got out & looked for it & sure enough, perched up in a tree ruffling its coat at me the Dandy Bastard. :madfire:

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They are very stunning in flight, and very silent for such a large bird. Of course, those piercing eyes, and rotating head.....

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Most of the time I prefer Beggars Banquet to Sticky Fingers, but I like the combo of Dead Flowers and Moonlight Mile even more than Factory Girl+Salt Of The Earth.

I had Let It Bleed spinning constantly while desperately catching up on reading Who Has Seen the Wind as I was over a month behind in English class and was close to failing it.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You know what? It could have been some sort of an owl or marten. Especially martens are not only capable of stealing a hedgehog and climbing two floors down. They can climb the same distance up and more, even carrying a hedgehog. So I would say your hedgehog was hunted down by a marten, owl or... your parents.

I didn't grow up in the woods though, but the city. I don't think martens hang around too much where I'm from. It's a smaller type of peninsula right outside the central parts of the city, very close to the most busy traffic lane in the country. Unless it's a good swimmer or carry an SL Access public transport card, I can't see how it could have made a successful enough escape. Owl, I have never seen but I guess they're awfully good at staying out of sight. Roe deer is very common around here though, and hare.

Not really. Many people keep hedgehogs these days, especially the little hedgehogs.

Yes, but this was in the early 90s, long before it was cool. ehhedler is always before his time. :rolleyes:

And it wasn't a little hedgehog, it was normal sized. The real deal.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
And it wasn't a little hedgehog, it was normal sized. The real deal.

For those who don't know what a normal sized hedgehog looks like:

giant-huge-hedgehogs-sir-david-attenborough-launches-new-tv-show-natural-curiousities-tnr-communications-video.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad