HOH from Detroit: a twist on draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
LF'ers:

Following today's session, Bruins GM Mike O'Connell said he figured the draft order should address the franchises in GREATEST NEED -- which is what previous drafts have done, based on how teams finished in prior year.
O'Connell makes the case that the teams most in need TODAY are those teams with the fewest number of players under contract. Remember, it was league HQ (i.e, Bettman) who warned clubs the last two years that they should run their rosters as lean as possible, in anticipation of the lockout. Some did. Some didn't.

Anyway, to follow O'Connell's logic, clubs such as Boston, Pitt, Wash (and maybe the Isles?) are the teams MOST IN NEED, because they have the fewest players signed--and those clubs undoubtedly will argue (perhaps they did today in the heated debate) that they deserve the better break in the weighted lottery.
Now, I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the position. I'm just alerting to you how some teams are approaching this. Bettman will get an earful, especially from the clubs who dutifully followed his lean-and-mean suggestion.
IF you are at all interested, I write more about this in Saturday's Boston Globe.
For now, it remains, GAME OFF!!!!!
'
' kpd/hoh/ktf

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
After the 04-05 years of all contracts went down the drain, almost half the league is a free agent now. EVERY team is in "need" of players....not that it makes sense how drafting 18 year old junior players is going to help that need anyway. It's a bad idea and seems like he just wants his team at the top of the 1st round?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
hubofhockey said:
O'Connell makes the case that the teams most in need TODAY are those teams with the fewest number of players under contract.

Gee...what a shock he would feel that way.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
nyr7andcounting said:
After the 04-05 years of all contracts went down the drain, almost half the league is a free agent now. EVERY team is in "need" of players....not that it makes sense how drafting 18 year old junior players is going to help that need anyway. It's a bad idea and seems like he just wants his team at the top of the 1st round?

Just tellin' ya, my man, just tellin' ya.
Personally, I'm all for Columbus, because I am a true egalatarian (read: down-and-out Democrat).
However...gives you an idea how the wheels are turnin', doesn't it?

kpd/hoh

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:

Not a coincedence that the Bruins have the least amount of players signed. I mean a team like Detroit or Toronto Needs youngsters badly as their current roster is old. But that doesn't mean they should pick first. Also, not many 18 year olds can play in the NHL. Nice try O'Connell.

It's interesting what each team thinks the draft order should be like. They should all have a say but hopefully something that is fair (whatever that is) can be reached.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
PepNCheese said:
Gee...what a shock he would feel that way.

my thoughts exactly. Its almost a testament to this lockout if a team like Boston, Chicago or Nashville ended up with Sidney Crosby.

I support Bettman but the management and ownership of these teams are gonna kill hockey

X0ssbar

R-E-A-C-H

Pretty soon we'll be basing the draft order on number of players each team had overseas..

"We should get Crosby b/c 'team A' had more players play overseas - they are in better shape!"... :shakehead

Anyhow, thanks for the update HOH.. It makes for entertaining reading if nothing else I guess :)

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
thenextone said:
my thoughts exactly. Its almost a testament to this lockout if a team like Boston, Chicago or Nashville ended up with Sidney Crosby.

I support Bettman but the management and ownership of these teams are gonna kill hockey

Going strictly by memory here, but I think Chicago actually has the 5th or 6th worst record in the league over the last four years (Original 30), no?
If so, then Chicago, and even Rangers, would have a decent shot at Big Sid, in a weighted lottery system.

kpd/hoh

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
nyr7andcounting said:

yea i agree. I think there's a hundred something signed players...basically every team is in "need" of players. I'm sure it will be based on points and how teams have finished in the passed. Of course though, some GM's are going to cry anything they can to get Sidney...including Boston who I believe finished second in the eastern conference in 03-04...can't see how you could fairly give Boston or any team that finished well last season the "next great one"

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
hubofhockey said:
LF'ers:

Following today's session, Bruins GM Mike O'Connell said he figured the draft order should address the franchises in GREATEST NEED -- which is what previous drafts have done, based on how teams finished in prior year.
O'Connell makes the case that the teams most in need TODAY are those teams with the fewest number of players under contract. Remember, it was league HQ (i.e, Bettman) who warned clubs the last two years that they should run their rosters as lean as possible, in anticipation of the lockout. Some did. Some didn't.

Anyway, to follow O'Connell's logic, clubs such as Boston, Pitt, Wash (and maybe the Isles?) are the teams MOST IN NEED, because they have the fewest players signed--and those clubs undoubtedly will argue (perhaps they did today in the heated debate) that they deserve the better break in the weighted lottery.
Now, I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the position. I'm just alerting to you how some teams are approaching this. Bettman will get an earful, especially from the clubs who dutifully followed his lean-and-mean suggestion.
IF you are at all interested, I write more about this in Saturday's Boston Globe.
For now, it remains, GAME OFF!!!!!
'
' kpd/hoh/ktf

And I'm sure that a team like the Devils that has a ton of players signed will argue that they deserve the first pick based on the fact that they'll have to dump more players than anyone else.

Everyone should have an equal shot from 1-30.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
This makes no sense.

only a few players from the draft could step right into the NHL in 05-06 so why should the teams with the fewest players on contract get a higher pick?

The UFA market is going to be flooded. Boston can fill their roster that way rather than by throwing some 18 into the lineup.

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
there was no season, there should be no draft.

either the league should raise the draft age, at least for next year, or simply allow this year's crop of youngsters to be ufas. i vote for no draft this year

Vic Rattlehead*

Good try O'Connell, but you should have developed a brain by now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
thenextone said:

Nashville had nearly a full roster. 21 to 23 players.

Munchausen

hubofhockey said:

RI-DI-CU-LOUS!

Those guys are pathetic. As expected, GMs trying left and right to come up with lame reasons why they should be getting a good shot at Crosby. Hey Mike, let's weight the lottery in favor of the smallest revenue teams. After all, they're the most in trouble right? :shakehead

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
funniest thing I've heard in a while...

but I will go on record here that if OC ever pulled this off I swear to never call him an idiot again.

:D

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Boston will get the first pick. Jeremy Jacobs is the only owner who`s opinion matters to Gary Bettman. So if Jacobs wants the first pick, then he`ll get it. This pathetic "team that needs it the most " reason is the best justification for it they could find but it doesn`t matter. Bettman does what Jacobs says. Boston gets the pick.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Man, I just gotta like OC for trying to get in a position to try to get Crosby!!!!
Every other GM will probably have a reason why they should get a crack at him. I know I would, if I was a GM. ;)

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah, what a surprise that O'Connell feels the draft order should be based on who has the fewest players signed. It just so happens Boston is one of those teams that has the fewest under contract for next year. Boston isn't getting Crosby. Anyway I heard they have some franchise center already who is pretty good.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
When you gague what the GM's say, it looks like the NHL is going to go with the most realistic form of a draft that would give fairness to all 30 teams.

Speculating what that is... I'd say the average of 3 seasons is most fair when considering all this. The "heated" arguments came from GM's, and ultimately the NHL is going to make the most rational choice, so I 110% doubt that the big markets would even get a realistic shot at the first overall pick. No way, no how.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
reckoning said:
Boston will get the first pick. Jeremy Jacobs is the only owner who`s opinion matters to Gary Bettman. So if Jacobs wants the first pick, then he`ll get it. This pathetic "team that needs it the most " reason is the best justification for it they could find but it doesn`t matter. Bettman does what Jacobs says. Boston gets the pick.
Care to explain that a little better??

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
futurcorerock said:
When you gague what the GM's say, it looks like the NHL is going to go with the most realistic form of a draft that would give fairness to all 30 teams.

Speculating what that is... I'd say the average of 3 seasons is most fair when considering all this. The "heated" arguments came from GM's, and ultimately the NHL is going to make the most rational choice, so I 110% doubt that the big markets would even get a realistic shot at the first overall pick. No way, no how.

Once more, what does 01-02 have to do with the 2005 draft outside of a leverage tactic for wide-eyed teams bitter with the lockout and thirsty for Crosby?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
01-02 has almost as much relevance as 03-04, in terms of standings, with regards to the 2005 draft. In other words, not much relevance at all. That's why I like the idea of using an average of regular-season performance based on the last 4 regular seasons (the only 4 with a 30-team NHL). Sure, a team like Washington will get the short end, but in the grand scheme of things I think this scenario satisfies the most teams. And in the end, it's the fairest system for the majority, especially if we use a weighted lottery where everybody has a shot at Sid the Kid.

The Caps won the lottery in 2004. If they are the team that is shafted the most when they come up with a draft system for 2005, I don't see a problem.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
NYR94 said:
Yeah, what a surprise that O'Connell feels the draft order should be based on who has the fewest players signed. It just so happens Boston is one of those teams that has the fewest under contract for next year. Boston isn't getting Crosby. Anyway I heard they have some franchise center already who is pretty good.

I tend towards this line of thinking, as well, though not as specific to the Bruins, per se. As a Caps' fan, I'd imagine that George McPhee loves this idea as well, but I can't really support it. The 3 year inclusive draft makes the most sense to me, as much as selfishly, I'd love to see it otherwise (i.e. last year's order).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad