HOH: Crosby to Columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
The NHL should have a draft this June -- cba or no cba -- and the best basis for draft order should be the cumulative record of the Original 30 over the last FOUR seasons (including late-comers Minny and Columbus).
Following then should be the draft order -- team name, followed by total points over last four seasons.
1. Columbus (252)
2. Atlanta (266)
3. Florida (271)
4. Pitt (288)
5. NY Rangers (299)

6. Chicago (305)
7. Anaheim (306)
8. Nashville (314)
9. Carolina (316)
10. Minnesota (319)

11. Calgary (321)
12. NY Isles (322)
13. Tampa Bay (327)
14. Montreal (327)
15. Phoenix (331)

16. Washington (333)
17. Buffalo (337)
18. Los Angeles (346)
19. Edmonton (366)
20. San Jose (371)

21. Boston (380)
22. Vancouver (389)
23. St. Louis (391)
24. Toronto (391)
25. Dallas (404)

26. Philadelphia (405)
27. New Jersey (414)
28. Ottawa (418)
29. Colorado (422)
30. Detroit (446)

Easy enough, right? Fair. Concise.
Let the drafting begin, followed by the PA's grievance.

kpd/hoh

jacketracket*

Lou is God said:
I don't like it because New Jersey would be 27th out of 30, but I would call it fair and quite logical.
I like it. I like it alot, actually.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
jacketracket said:
I like it. I like it alot, actually.
Probably means it will never happen, the NHL has never done anything smart, why on earth would they start here?

Bt the way one name jumps out at me on that list right away: Calgary.

prevail

Jan 3, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
Lou is God said:
Probably will never happen, ther NHL has never done anything smart, why on earth would they start here?

Bt the way one name jumps out at me on that list right away: Calgary.
What about the creation of the mighty habs?

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
DETROIT SKABOY said:
not too bad a idea
but there needs to be a cba 1st

Why does there have to be a CBA?

If the league imposes work conditions -- via impasse - that it can make whatever call it wants vis a vis the draft.
If the league goes on to hammer out a cba with the union, it can make it a condition that it won't agree to a deal unless the PA accepts its draft order, and perhaps even the selections (depending if cba is ratified after the June draft.
The league is still in business, even if it doesn't have a work agreement with its players. The tail has wagged the dog too long, folks.

kpd/hoh

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Also another problem, the NHL will never agree to something that guarntees that Crosby will not end up in big city like Chicago or New York, I almost get the feeling that they will flip the coin between those two. But I hope everybody does know that the best thing for the NHL would be for him to be in one of those cities and not a market as small as Columbus, they need him on a BIG stage as soon as possible.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I like that idea, but some teams get a bad deal (Washington for one)

I would "propose" to offer an equal number of "ping-pong balls" to the teams that were 30-26, 25-20 etc etc...

There would be six groupings, in which each of the five teams within those groupings has an equal chance. The draft order must have some basis to the most current standings, and I believe it's most fair because teams generally won't improve much more then 5 places down or up in a given year based on regular season points. It would look something like this:

Group 1:Pittsburgh/Chicago/Washington/Columbus/Phoenix/

Group 2: NYR/Florida/Carolina/Anaheim/Atlanta/

Group 3: Minnesota/Buffalo/Edmonton/Nashville/LA

Group 4: St Louis/MTL/CAL/Dallas/LA

Group 5: NJ/Phily/Van/Colorado/Ottawa

Group 6: Toronto/Boston/SJ/TB/Detroit

All teams in group 1 have a equal chance at the first pick and have the same number of "ping-pong" balls. Group 1 can have as many ping pongs as is resevred for the third most total in a regular draft. All teams that are in Group 2 have as many that are regularly reserved for the seventh most total in ra regular draft etc etc.

Also, I would propose that no team can fall or gain more then one "group" after the lottery

Comments....

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
Lou is God said:
Also another problem, the NHL will never agree to something that guarntees that Crosby will not end up in big city like Chicago or New York, I almost get the feeling that they will flip the coin between those two. But I hope everybody does know that the best thing for the NHL would be for him to be in one of those cities and not a market as small as Columbus, they need him on a BIG stage as soon as possible.

You mean like Mario to Pittsburgh?

kpd/hoh

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
Lou is God said:
Imagine what it would have been like if Mario was a New York Ranger instead.

You mean before or after Keenan would have benched and trade him in Jan. '94?

kpd/hoh

jacketracket*

Lou is God said:
NEVER!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about Crosby ending up in Columbus. The CBJ have had absolutely no luck in the lottery drawings to date, dating back to getting the 4th overall pick in their first expansion draft (the worst possible position that the CBJ or Minny could have gotten in that drawing).

I'd be perfectly happy with Johnson or Brule.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
hubofhockey said:
You mean before or after Keenan would have benched and trade him in Jan. '94?

kpd/hoh
Which would have been in his 10th year and two Stanley Cups later. Imagine that in New York, by then he would own the city and Mike Keenan for that matter.

Ranger fans worship their superstars, in fact they pay homage to them.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
Why should Washington get a second straight 1st overall over teams that have struggled for long whiles like most the expansion teams, calgary, chicago, anahiem, etc? They tried for the big market NYR lots of stars way and that failed so they sold everyone over a year to try to get Ovechkin/Malkin/Barker. Why should Washington get helped more than teams that deserve a Crosby/Brule more than them?

I'm REALLy in favor of the record over the last 3/4 years method. It makes sense, deserving teams get high picks (not just the teams that tanked the last half of the season, the one's that have struggled for a long while), and it's smart. Exactly why the NHL won't do it

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
sehnsucht said:
Why should Washington get a second straight 1st overall over teams that have struggled for long whiles like most the expansion teams, calgary, chicago, anahiem, etc? They tried for the big market NYR lots of stars way and that failed so they sold everyone over a year to try to get Ovechkin/Malkin/Barker. Why should Washington get helped more than teams that deserve a Crosby/Brule more than them?

I'm REALLy in favor of the record over the last 3/4 years method. It makes sense, deserving teams get high picks (not just the teams that tanked the last half of the season, the one's that have struggled for a long while), and it's smart. Exactly why the NHL won't do it

I agree!

Washington shouldn't get another crack at it just b/c there owner decided half way through last season he wanted to trim payroll and take a shot at Ovechkin.

I definetly dont like the ping pong with the 4 groups idea. Why shoudl St Louis and Dallas be able to get such a high draft place??

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Prevail77 said:
Hey it's fair, WSH got Ovechkin over 1 bad season, they gotta give someone else a turn

No it isn't. We're rebuilding. You can't use two years ago as a reference for now. I'm in favor of a tiered lottery where the bottom 5 teams each have a shot at #1 overall.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Sorry but I don't think its fair at all. I still think the best and most fair way is the throw all 30 teams names in hat and start drawing numbers. Nobody has any idea how any one team would have done this season. A draft is based on the past season, not the average of the past 4 seasons.

Of course I would just love to be there when a team like the Rangers or Leafs draw the #1 pick and watch all the small market teams cry. Afterall isn't it the small market teams that want to even the playing field, and I think drawing names, pretty much evens the playing field.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
19bruins19 said:
Very fair, but Washington would be outraged.
Outraged ???

What do you think every hockey fan other then Washington ones felt like when Washington traded away all its players tanked the season and got Ovechkin as a reward for that ... ??

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
19bruins19 said:
Very fair, but Washington would be outraged.

As they should be.

sehnsucht said:
Why should Washington get a second straight 1st overall over teams that have struggled for long whiles like most the expansion teams, calgary, chicago, anahiem, etc?

We're not even talking about a #1. In this scenario, they're not even in the top 15. How's that fair?

sehnsucht said:
Why should Washington get helped more than teams that deserve a Crosby/Brule more than them?

Oh, you mean like, Johnny-come-lately expansion teams, or historically-bad managed teams like Chicago? Their fans might deserve Crosby, but Wirtz doesn't.

Icey said:
I still think the best and most fair way is the throw all 30 teams names in hat and start drawing numbers.

While I believe that there's no perfect way to conduct a draft based upon phantom standings, your suggestion isn't palatable. What if the top five in the draft are Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, Vancouver, and Tampa Bay?

I think a weighted lottery among all 30 teams is still the way to go. True, the above scenario could still manifest under that procedure, but it'd be much less likely.

Mr.Hunter74 said:
Washington shouldn't get another crack at it just b/c there owner decided half way through last season he wanted to trim payroll and take a shot at Ovechkin.

They were actually on pace for a lottery pick before they trimmed all that salary.

Grizzly

Dec 1, 2003
Staten Island,N.Y
nyrmessier011 said:
I like that idea, but some teams get a bad deal (Washington for one)

I would "propose" to offer an equal number of "ping-pong balls" to the teams that were 30-26, 25-20 etc etc...

There would be six groupings, in which each of the five teams within those groupings has an equal chance. The draft order must have some basis to the most current standings, and I believe it's most fair because teams generally won't improve much more then 5 places down or up in a given year based on regular season points. It would look something like this:

Group 1:Pittsburgh/Chicago/Washington/Columbus/Phoenix/

Group 2: NYR/Florida/Carolina/Anaheim/Atlanta/

Group 3: Minnesota/Buffalo/Edmonton/Nashville/LA

Group 4: St Louis/MTL/CAL/Dallas/LA

Group 5: NJ/Phily/Van/Colorado/Ottawa

Group 6: Toronto/Boston/SJ/TB/Detroit

All teams in group 1 have a equal chance at the first pick and have the same number of "ping-pong" balls. Group 1 can have as many ping pongs as is resevred for the third most total in a regular draft. All teams that are in Group 2 have as many that are regularly reserved for the seventh most total in ra regular draft etc etc.

Also, I would propose that no team can fall or gain more then one "group" after the lottery

Comments....
I know the Isles have a rep for giving away good picks, but I think they to deserve a shot at the kid. :dunno: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->